Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

Angie mango

hmhausman
12 years ago

Sorry for no picture....but I had my first Angie mango this morning. It was found on the ground, pecked by a bird on one side. It had a very nice yellow background color with a distinctive pink blush over the top 1/3 of the fruit. It was firm, fiberless, fragrant and really nicely flavored. I would give it a big "thumbs up!" Looks like the Fairchild curators got one right for a change. Growth habit is supposed to be semi-dwarf. I cannot confirm this at this point as my tree is small. But this looks like a real winner. And, I would have to say that I would expect nothing less since this fruit is named after Bill Whitman's wife.

Harry

Comments (24)

• MangoDoc
    12 years ago

Thanks Harry for the input.

• adiel
    12 years ago

Good to hear that Harry! How would you compare it to a Dot, Edward or Cushman?

Adiel

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Hurray! Thanks for the wonderful description Harry. I bought one last year after much deliberating over what kind to get. So great to hear that the first taste test was positive! Can't wait until mine is big enough to fruit=)

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Adiel:

Based upon my first taste, I think it compares favorably with the mangoes you mention. Of course, none of those varieties are ready to eat yet....so there may be some early season mango over exhuberance which will have to be tempered after a full season of mango eating.

Harry

• sleep
    12 years ago

Thanks for the review Harry !

I have about 10 on my 2 year old tree... The tree growth has been excellent.

I've been watching them every day, and now the anticipation is going to kill me :)

• swrancher
    12 years ago

I'm really glad the Angie mango tasted so good, after trying "Jean Ellen" last year I was a little bit worried...My Angie tree has a decent amount of fruit on it, maybe 20-30 mangos. Some of them are fairly large and all are a pale green with no blush or coloration. I'm wondering how much longer until they ripen up, supposed to be an early one.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Harry - it's worse than torture without a picture to wrap my lips around! lol.....congrats.....I still got a lot of green golf ball sized oddities on diff. trees teasing me every day in our spring winds....

mDOG

• murahilin
    12 years ago

Harry,
    Due to your questionable tastes, I will have to sample this mango myself. When will another be available?

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Harry...you seem to be around Sheehan quite a bit. Are we sure he is not trying for a stand-up comedian gig?

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jay:

No....he's not trying out for a stand up comic gig.....he's just trying to show a little personality and over come the shyness he has. Eventually, he'll even post a picture of himself in the Tropical Fruit Forum Meet and Greet thread.

Harry

• murahilin
    12 years ago

Jay,
    It's my fall back plan in case law school doesn't work out.

Harry,
    I don't have a law firm to shamelessly plug so I won't be posting on the meet and greet.

• abayomi
    12 years ago

Nice one Harry. Can you save some seed for me (any and all varieties accepted!). Be there in 2 weeks!

• swrancher
    12 years ago

Here's a few pictures taken 5/27 of my Angie Mango tree and fruit that I'm guessing/hoping? are almost ready.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

NICE looking mangoes!! Its a good looking tree too. Let us know when its ripe.

I'm waiting (not)very patiently for one of my Cogshall to fully ripen. I ate one of them that I picked a week or so ago but it was only partially ripe. The part that wasn't quite ripe was pretty sour, but the part that was ripe was really sweet and delicious!

• marinfla
    12 years ago

Harry will you be going to the USDA Chapman Field Open House next Saturday? I would love to plan a day to stop by for a tour of your yard!
    Marin

• emperorlychee
    12 years ago

would any body lend me some mango cuttings... im not picky so if you had any would you help my cause.
    thankyou patricio

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marin:

Not sure of my plans...probably won't be going to Chapman, but feel free to stop by on your way to or from. Drop me an e-mail to let me know what your plans are.

Harry

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Thanks for giving us the head's up on Angie mango Harry! Southwest rancher, the mangoes look great!

• mangodog
    12 years ago

SWR - yes, the Angies look splendid......mangoyapper

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

That's a great looking tree swrancher! Let us know how they taste when they are ripe.

• kathypflugrad_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Our family's main priority this summer is to choose which two varieties of mango to plant (that's all we have room for) and get them planted. The Angie is one we're hoping to taste, and I'm not finding any available to buy, even at Fairchild farm. If anyone is willing to sell 1 or 2 Angie mangos, please let me know. We live in Fort Myers but will drive. We're headed to Boynton Beach area this weekend, and down to Homestead sometime soon.

If anyone has suggestions for mango varieties, we'd welcome those, too. Thanks in advance!

Kathy

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

Pickering is another new variety that is dwarf, every member on here who has sampled one if you search considers it an excellent flavored mango with a possible coconut undertone

• sleep
    12 years ago

I had my first Angie Mango today. I picked it off of my two year old tree a few days ago, and let it ripen on the kitchen counter.

I agree with Harry's review. I found it to be fantastic. Sweet and complex. Definately top tier in my book.

• Langra
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of Angie mango that I bought at the 2014 mango festival at Fairchild.

Here is a link that might be useful: Angie Mango from Fairchild 2014