Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nesszors

White Mango 'Manga Blanca'

nesszors
13 years ago

I know that these are found in Cuba but I was wondering if there's any place that sells these (plants of course). Does anyone also have any pictures of the white mango? I have only heard about and not actually seen it.

Comments (52)

• dr_scifi
    13 years ago

Okay,

HEre are Pics of the White Mango, the ones the Haiti Carribean folks like:

Here is my tree which the dog ate and it survived months later:

Now alive:

What do you guys think?

How the hell is this even possible? Survive without soil for 1 week, planted then grow months later????

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Hard to see from the picture. The seed was no longer there when it was uprooted, right? The sprout looks like a newly sprouted growth from a seed. Assuming this is not a seed sprout, I would be interested to know if this sprouted from the stem, but below the soil level, or from the root. Either way, it is pretty miraculous......shows just how resilient mangoes can be.

Harry

• murahilin
    13 years ago

dr scifi,
    I know Zill's grows the grafted Mango Blanc from Haiti but they are only wholesale so you'll have to find somewhere that buys from them and sells retail. Excalibur Fruit Trees had a few Mango Blancs that they bought from Zill's a while ago but they sold out quickly. You might check with Excalibur and see if they have any in stock or if they can get some from Zills. If you still can't find it let me know.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Sheehan:

Have you tried the white mango being referred to? If so, I'd be interested to know what you thought of it.

Harry

• dr_scifi
    13 years ago

Harry:

This tree was already like 2 feet tall. It is not from a seed but an actual little white mango tree. When that dog ate the tree, I saw the stem you see on the picture and some roots with NO dirt. It was dead-looking and completely dry. All I did was took both and replant it in the pot. Months later, this week this happened... it grew. I think this happened back in january with the dog. so Harry, should I dig and find out where it is coming from ??? I don't want to risk it however. Maybe it is coming from the base??? Roots???

Are you for real murahilin?

I really want it bad, I don't care how much. Please tell me how I can contact them as I really want to buy it. Where is Excalibur Fruit Trees ???? I really want to buy this from them. I will buy many, for me and mom. You just made my day :-)

Please let me know.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Dr. Scifi:

NOOOOO...don't dig it up. If its growing leave well enough be. I was just thinking out loud (or in writing acutally) expressing my curiosity.

Harry

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

ok now i am familiar with it, i know a nursery that has Madame Blanc mango. im guessing thats the Haitian white mango.

theyre local though, not even sure if they still have it they probably got it from Zill if they have them as well.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Uhh, you guys are going to make me buy another mango.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Bryan:

Which nursery has it?

Harry

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Spykes.

been awhile since ive been over there though

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Harry,
    Haven't tried it yet. The largest i've ever seen was a 3 gallon.

mango kush,
    Yup, madame blanc is the same as the mango blanc. Which nursery is it that has it? It might be a lot closer for dr scifi to go there than all the way to Excalibur.

dr scifi,
    Email me if you are unable to get it from the nursery that mango kush mentioned.

I think someone from the forum just called Zills because when I called they said someone just called asking the same thing.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

dr scifi,
    Here is a link to Spykes's website. They are located on Griffin Rd west of the Turnpike.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spykes Tropical Nursery

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

lol.

i actually just called and asked if they carried Gary mango, which they do. cant resist a mango with Julie/Carrie as its parentage.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

What did they say when you called? I don't think i've ever seen a nice looking Gary mango in a 3 gallon. I was told that they are a bit difficult to grow when young but once they get larger they don't have many problems. Do you have a Gary mango Harry? Is it true what they say?

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

yes they have them.

being a Julie breed, im guessing the problem is anthracnose?

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I do have Gary. Nice little fruit, but very susceptable to anthracnose and not a big producer at my house.

Harry

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

And, FYI, Gary does not grow like the dwarf Julie or the larger Carrie.....it seems to be in the vigorous category....not quite Valencia Pride, but more vigorous than the SE Asian types.

Harry

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Was going to try to stop by Spyke's to see if they had it. However the combinaton of having my truck being repaired and a blinding hail storm prevented me.

Harry

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Zill's is a wholesale nursey. Unless you have a nursery license you shouldn't call because you're wasting your time and theirs.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Dr scifi, Zills will not sell anything to you unless you have a nursey license and proof of a nursery business.

• dr_scifi
    13 years ago

Yes, I am aware of that... They would give it to the other place you told me about, Excalibur Fruit Trees " Linda" then I would buy it from them. I really appreciate all your help. Do you have this tree? How do you know about it?

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

i have called Zills more than once.

i know nursery owners who can all get Zill trees and i like to know what they have, sometimes the nurseries dont even have updated lists because they just get common varieties, not new or limited ones like Spirit of '76.

so i wouldnt exactly say calling them was a waste of my time,

• dr_scifi
    13 years ago

HAHA,

okay I just called Spykes and they have it avail. 1x 7 gallon, and 2 x 3 gallons. Thank you so much! I will buy it from them since they are closer.

Do you also have it "mango_kush" ?

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

no.

the only Haitian mango i had is madame francis, very popular down here. its too fibery for me and has a papaya taste, which is ok i guess but a good mango shouldnt taste like papaya

• dr_scifi
    13 years ago

Okay, I picked up two Madamme Blanca tree, one for me and 1 for my mother for mothers day. They look good. I got both with swollen buds which popped the following day with new leaves. All they need was some love TLC. I am so happy to have them. They were like the last ones there. I also picked up a key lime. I never knew they were ever bearing. This will be great since I always use the limes for seasoning meat and other stuff. Kids can also make lemonade :-)

I also wanted to buy an orange tree, however wanted to research first. Should I go go with nabel? Pine apply orange? Tangerines? Any ideas?

-Richard

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Richard:

Did you get the mangoes at Spykes? If so, were there any left?

Harry

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Richard, Page and ponkan are both very good choices for a citrus. I wouldn't get a naval just because you can buy the fruit so easily/cheaply.

• dr_scifi
    13 years ago

Hi HArry,

Yes I got it from Spykes. They have 1 left. I have been trying to get this for 10 years now and I finally got it. I am so happy. I think Excalibur may have 2 left. I think they left me a message, been so busy, I have to call them back. I also have a friend who may need another one. You should pick it up Harry, excellent choice! I have been trying for 10 years and all clone attempts failed. Until last year when I planted the seedling which the dog ate. I know, I was desperate. I will leave it in the pot in the beginning. When they are ripe, my moms friend have a tree, I can bring you some so you can try.

Thanks Jsvand5:
    Okay, I will try those organges. Can they grow in pot temporarily? Or I have to plant them?

-Rich

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I went ahead and got the last one they had at Spyke's Grove. Pretty nice looking plant newly flushed out with multiple new branches. Now I have to figure out where to plant it.

Harry

• dr_scifi
    13 years ago

Congrats Harry!

That is a special tree, been trying for many years. Money couldn't event get me one of those trees. Hell, I was willing to spend hundreds if I had too :-)

The two I got also burst with new growth the next day. Do you plan to plant it or leave it in a pot. I think I will let mine grow in a pot for a bit then later [lat it. But the one I got for my mom and myself are both great and doing well. Send me a pic of yours if you don't mind. It is like mine grow in such a short period of time.

Here is the Mango Harry:

http://www.aaldmonfarm.com/images/thumb/bigimage/1.gif

I can't wait to see my tree grow. I am so happy, and my mom is really excited about the tree.

-Rich

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Dr scifi,
    I am not sure if you're aware but there are two madame blanc trees tagged and waiting for you at Excalibur. I was there yesterday and I saw the trees out front. I think you should call them and let them know that you no longer need the trees so they will be able to sell it to someone else.

• dr_scifi
    13 years ago

Thanks! I just called and left a message. Didn't think they got it for me. No one answered.

• dr_scifi
    13 years ago

finally picked them up. I prefer the ones from Spykes, more mature and longer. the ones from Excalibur seems young.

• zands
    13 years ago

Was at Spykes today and they had Madame Blanc and Madame Francis. Lots of Nam Doc. Anyone grow a Madame Francis? I like the way it looks. They have a 7 gallon Nam Doc. I bought a Philippine mango which now that I read up on it at Pine Island I'm not so impressed. Only 3 out of 5 on production and disease resistance.

Anyone growing Philippine mango have a comment on its production and disease resistance in Florida?

Think I will return it and get a diff one....choconon perhaps. I don't just get condo mangoes but I pay attention to size, production and disease resistance. All mangoes taste good to me

Hi all. Me first post

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

phillipine mangos are great, similar to nam doc mai.

wouldnt return it for chocanon personally, they have smaller fruit and can be an off bearer and very similar flavor

if you want an excellent asian mango look for lemon meringue (po pyu kalay), even if they dont have it you can return it and they will credit you and order one from Pine Island or Zill in their next shipment

• zands
    13 years ago

Many thanks Kush! Due to your input now I'm thinking I will keep the Philippine.

Do you have any idea if Philippine mango is related to Thai/Nam Doc as in polyembryonic?

At Spykes there is a Haitian worker named Max who was very helpful. He knows lots about mangoes of all kinds. He perfectly explained to me the difference in taste between tree ripened Mallika and Mallika picked at the right stage of green and ripened off tree for 10-14 days. He also said that a friend had very productive Mallika this year while his other trees were poor

Thanks again

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

I bought a Ponkan a week ago. Glad to hear that it is a good variety jsvand! I have never seen one locally to taste, but that's part of the appeal to have something I can't get locally. I had considered Page, but don't really have room for an additional pollinator.

I really wanted a dwarf citrus tree. There has been some disaster in the propagation of dwarf trees on Flying Dragon (the usual dwarfing rootstock for citrus), and no nurseries have it. After much searching, I found Briteleaf Citrus. They have a new dwarfing rootstock called US 897, which is what I bought. It will limit the in ground size of the mature tree to 8 feet. Rich, if you get a dwarfing rootstock your tree could stay in a pot indefinitely.

So if anyone is has been looking for dwarf citrus, I would highly recommend Briteleaf. They were very helpful answering my email queries, the trees were reasonably priced and they arrived in excellent condition and were well formed. They have very good looking grafts and had been given an initial pruning cut at around 3'. Each has a flush of new branches just sprouting from the pruning cut that I can train into nice scaffold branches.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

I have also found Briteleaf to be very helpful. I've ordered from them twice and both times the trees that came were in excellent condition. They really know how to package well. It is probably the only place that I will buy citrus trees from.

• charlie54321
    11 years ago

My wife is from Cuba and we purchased a new home here in Miami. My wife's father brought a little mango plant over which he says is white mango like they had in Cuba( I believe manga blanca). We planted it and it is about six feet tall. How tall does this tree get, is it disease resistant, does it produce a lot, is the fruit high quality, how short can the tree be kept while still producing frui?. I am wondering if I should keep it or cut it down and replace it with a known quality cultivar like a Pickering mango, glenn, or nam doc Mai. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• desimango
    11 years ago

Charlie,

Unfortunately I don't know enough to offer you any assistance but will say I read through this thread and didn't find any mention of the fruit taste and quality.

Hope someone from Florida can chime in...stay tuned.

-d

• cuban007
    11 years ago

I have tasted the manga blanca and the manga amarilla in Cuba. Both very good. The amarilla more flavor and sweeter than the blanca. Who has it available here in the US?

• charlie54321
    11 years ago

Do you recommend keeping the mango blanca or replacing it with a more known quality culitivar? Is the manga blanca white on the inside? What does it taste like?

• itaiz
    10 years ago

Who can sell me/How can i buy: 2 seeds of 'mango blanca'?

Thanks, really appreciate it...

• mangorilla
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello I just came across this thread and decided to sign up to leave a comment. If the original poster is still around... I'm pretty sure that the Manga Blanca of Cuba is the Turpentine mango. So you may want to check into that. ...Edit... I just did a little research and saw that The Manga Amarilla is actually the Turpentine and that Manga Blanca may be known as Apple Mango or Bombay. Here's the link... https://books.google.com/books?id=UmkPAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA35&lpg=PA35&dq=manga+blanca+turpentine&source=bl&ots=qlpDrGvzA6&sig=AU4MYTojK048RPHozPBnG7sr3F0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=pTedVdzbGsuwyAS37KvoCA&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=manga%20blanca%20turpentine&f=false

• Warina Sushil Ismuraji
    6 years ago

here are some white mango fotos. In our Bahasa Sug language of Sulu, it's "bawnuh".

• Warina Sushil Ismuraji
    6 years ago

We love to eat slices of it dipped in hot spicy sweetened tausi or black beans. But when ripe, we dispensed with the dip (locally known as tawsiyu).

• HU-318146186
    4 years ago

Are these "Manga Blanca?" I gave some to my coworkers and they were excited and told me these are Manga Blanca from Cuba.

• HU-330467084
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I am not sure if you are referring to mango madame Blanc. It's a Haitian mango. I just bought one from Plantograms for a great price during the late Summer. I ate this mango before and was searching for it. The picture shown for the one from Cuba in the postings up above are definitely not the same. Just noticed this posting I am responding to was posted 11 years ago. If anyone has a fruit bearing madame blanc mango tree, please share your wealth. I am also interested in a few grafting scions.

• Christina Alvarez
    8 months ago

I have a mango that someone said looks like a madame blanc. Can't confirm. Fruit is usually about a pound. Ripens when yellow/orange. Fibrous, but very flavorful. A Spicy flavor. Very Juicy. 9/10 (loses a point for texture). New flush looks light green to yellow in color.

Sponsored