Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avocado problems

Posted by slowjane USDA 10 - Sunset 21 (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 14 at 14:42

Hi all - the folks in the veggie forum said this is where the avocado experts hang out so here I am with my newbie Avocado question ;)

We have grown this avocado from a seed (I know it won't taste the same, etc but it's a fun project to see it grow) It's maybe two years old, a single stem, and about 3 1/2 feet tall.

It's had brown edges on the leaves for a while due to salt burn according to an arborist who came to the house. But are the brown spots salt burn as well? I've googled but so far it's been inconclusive. Anyone know?

It's in a pot - I just repotted from a 10" to a 12" pot, with palm/citrus/succulent potting mix.

I flushed it with 4 gallons of water or so. More flushing? Fertilizer? I haven't fertilized it yet. Would fish emulsion be a good Nitrogen source for it?

Any help is much appreciated!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avocado problems

slow...you may have a couple of problems. Firstly, when growing in containers there are some very important factors. 1. use a free draining potting mix (no moisture control stuff to create muck. 2. Make sure the container is large enough. 3. Watering regularly is critical. Also, persea mites can cause tan/silverfish spotting on the underside of leaves. They usually run along the vein line. You definitely have the soil moisture/watering issue.

o

• Posted by slowjane USDA 10 - Sunset 21 (My Page) on
    Fri, May 23, 14 at 17:21

Thanks fireduck - yes, it was in a smaller container before and would dry out all the time (bad bad mama) but I think the bigger container is helping, and I did use cactus/palm/citrus potting mix which is supposed to drain well.

However, the very tips of the newer leaves are still brown. The soil feels cool and moist under the mulch....hmmm...
I potted it up from a 12 to a 14 or so - my understanding is you should usually pot up gradually to larger sizes rather than going to a giant pot right away. I know avocado trees get huge....

o

the brown edges on those leaves will never re-green. No bigee. Keep it fed with low-dose fertilizer...and don't let it get root-bound.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here