Blackkrim tomato

Portuguese fig

Sugarcane jujube flowers

American Beauty DF buds

Kohala longan

Comments (10)

• soaht
    10 years ago

Nice pictures Rodney, hopefully the cuttings I got from you will bear fruits in 1-2 years from now. How long does it usually take for dragon fruit to bear fruit from cuttings? Now i've heard from a DF hobbyist grower that said if you get mature cuttings from a branch that have already fruited previously or a longer(1'-2') piece then they will bear faster and in some case even the first year?
    Your longan looks nice, how big is it and has it bear for you yet?

• rodneys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, mature cuttings will bear fruit faster, even in the first year. This is the first time American Beauty has budded for me. I've had Giant Vietnamese the last 2 years & Voodoo Child last year.Voodoo Child has 6 buds growing now. Which varieties did I give you?

I almost killed my Longan using chemical fertilizers. It's doing much better now & this is the first time it's flowered.
    It's 15 gal

• soaht
    10 years ago

I got from you were Phoenix red, Arizona purple and Thai red. The're just now starting to grow some branching stems. I'm also the guy on cloudforest, saying that I would have the Egyptian fig for you but turns out that the one, meant for you somehow just died so if my other surviving one gets big enough by summer end I will air layer or get you some cuttings in the winter. I also got some angelic plant seeds started now that you said you were interested in, when they get bigger i'll let you know.

• rodneys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My Thai Red is forming it's first flower bud now, so you'll probably get some next season.

• soaht
    10 years ago

That's good news to hear. Thanks again Rodney!

• houstontexas123
    10 years ago

looking good

• bananafan
    10 years ago

Rodney,

Great pictures of all your tropical fruiting plants. I'm impressed that all your plants are fruiting in the pot for you. So, what do you feed them with?

The leaves of the Longan look pretty healthy. I've sort of given up on longans as they're often infested with white fungus.

I have a dragon fruit. It only had one bloom once. I heard you have to hand pollinate too, so that means they'll need two blooms to do so.

Hope all your plants will bear fruit for you and do share more pictures when they do so. Nice job!

• rodneys
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I feed my plants coffee grounds & worm casting tea.

Most of the Dragonfruit varieties that I have are self-fertile/self-pollinating. I can send you some cuttings for the cost of shipping.

For bananas, I currently have Dwarf Namwah, Dwarf Red & Goldfinger. Which do you have?

• bananafan
    10 years ago

Thanks for the offer, Rodney. I'm now running out of resources--space as well as time, so I don't do shipping.

As for bananas, I started out being very enthusiastic, but found over the years that only Raja Puri works for me. It is a more regular producer than the others.

Have fun with your plant collection! It looks like you have an interesting collection there!

• bunti
    10 years ago

Rodney,

I like your jujube. I am having one plant. Its long and lean. Its flowering... but not as manyflowers as your plant.
    mine is GA 866. this is the second year i am having this plant. Last year it did flower... but no fruit... this year also i have got flowers... lets see whats going to happen.

I have bought another variety from jenes tropicals.I haven't received it.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus