Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing potted Mango/other tropicals in non tropical climates

Posted by yaslan 8 WA (My Page) on
Mon, May 17, 10 at 16:08

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

After my first mango died, I was really nervous about repotting my Zebda and Pink Ohia. But I finally got brave enough to try again and (except for the sun-scorched mango leaves) they don't look too bad. Has anyone gotten a potted mango to fruit in a non tropical location? If so, what was your experience and technique?
I have to admit it's been very challenging if nearly impossible to not acquire another tropical fruit tree. In a few days I should be receiving my grafted fino/selma. Also, I was very tempted to put in an order for the African Pride but dutifully resisted.
Though, my friends and family thinks I'm crazy and has warned me (that I won't get any fruits) unsuccessfully. This has not deterred my efforts or aspirations to grow tropical fruits in less than ideal climate. But it's just the opposite here. Mostly everyone on this forum has been an enabler...lol. I feel very much at home! ( :

Happy tropical fruit Growing.

Bo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing potted Mango/other tropicals in non tropical climates

http://www.pitplants.com/newsletter/2004_spring.pdf Second page "Common Causes of Citrus Leaf drop..." Read that and if it doesn't help you, ask away. Also, you can do it. I have seen it done hundreds of times.

o

I had Manila mango fruit in the mild summer SF bay area...that tree has been through alot and survives. And it bore fruit in a 14-16" pot..about two dozen. The good part is-they are sweet. They arent like some other tropical trees in cool climates that fruit but dont taste worth the effort.

o

Joe - Once the colder months are upon us, I will surely have to go back to this site and learn how to acclimate my tropical fruit trees appropriately. Thanks for the link and the encouragement. I cannot wait to taste my first container-grown mango!

stanofh - I think it's very admirable that you got fruit out of your potted mango. This is very high on my to do list! What happened to it? I would love to see pis (if you have any).

Bo

o

• Posted by boson 10 (Delray Beach, FL (My Page) on
    Mon, May 17, 10 at 21:38

Hi Bo,

Have you thought about growing other fruit trees than mango? There are many nice Eugenias that grows well in pots, like E. neonitida? This one fruits in 2-3 years from seed, and can take a few degrees of frost.

Here is good information:

http://e-jardim.blogspot.com/2008/09/formidvel-pitangatuba-2.html

I happen to have fresh seeds of both E. neonitida and E. candolleana right now. Let me know if you are interested.

Tomas

o

I am in the same situation. Living in Pennsylvania but growing tropicals indoors/outdoors in containers. Just do your research so your not wasting time and money on these plants - some do better than others in this less-than-ideal environment.

o

boson - Thanks for the offer but I don't do well with seeds. Also, I've been spoiled with 2-3' mango and lychee trees.

tj11240 - I've been combing through the older posts and googling just about everything that has to do with growing potted mango and other tropical fruit trees in less than ideal conditions. I wouldn't call it 'wasting time'. I'd rather to think of this as a fantastically fun adventure.

Bo

o

Bo- soon you will see my experience...lol. They will have to stay in containers forever....unless I move to CA or FL....hehehe

o

Kristy - You've done an excellent job with your june plum, sugar apple and other tropicals. I think your mangoes will do well under your care too. As a matter of fact, I am really glad you got a mango! I can't wait to hear your experience and compare notes...lol

Bo

o

Stanofh, could you give us some advice on fruiting potted mangos? I'm very interested in what soil mix and fertilizer you used, is in fact you did use any.

And like Bo said, some pics would be great.

Thanks,

Nikitas

o

yaslan - I only meant 'wasting time' in the sense that some plants can take a decade to fruit, not produce in containers, or are not self-fertile. Any of those outcomes would be disappointing.

o

tj11240 - This is true. Thanks for clarifying.
Bo

o

For growing indoors, I have used 1/4 perlite, 1/4 vermiculite, 1/4 right potting medium with peat and 1/4 sand. It's light and will dry quickly.

o

I added a Manila mango to my potted collection because of Stan's high regard for it and his good experience with it that he posted on other threads. Like him, I too want a sweet mango when ripened indoors or with marginal heat. But, my guavas are horrible in my weather - just insipid with lots of woody seeds.
I have the manila mango in a pot with perlite, pine bark, peat and potting soil in equal proportions. It is putting out new growth now. I will know in a few years what the fruit tastes like.

o

mangojoe_1975 - Thanks for posting your potting medium. It sounds like a great mix and works well.

ashleysf - Great to hear you got a Manila Mango! How long have you had it? Also, I'd love to see pics of your tropical treasure.

Bo

o

These are the Manila mango fruits from June of 2006,and just starting to going through it's first flushes after the winter of 06. These might be the worst photos I took!..but with thousands of images..These are the ones I memorized where and in what file. The others if I run across are of flowering,pea sized fruit and ripe cut open fruit of a 9',then 5 year old potted tree. Potted up by me after a few years in an extra SANDY soil like it came in. I curse the winter of 2007. btw, A second Manila was thriving and growing fast in a pot...did well for a short time in ground,went through a winter fine...then in late spring of 08..died Just shriveled up. Could have been root virus or Gophers.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

stanofh - Thanks for sharing your pics. I am sorry to hear you lost your 2nd Manila to root virus or gophers. Do you have any potted mangoes currently? If not, then will you try again?

Bo

o

I bought a Baley's Marvel last mid summer at 3',now its up to over 4' and would be taller-but last summer the fast vertical growth took me by surprise-so I pinched it. So,it's over a foot taller and with branching now. It takes cooler weather is true,having put out a late winter flush,and held all its green foliage.I did garage it two nights in Dec, when we had an arctic front drop temps to near freezing. Other than those two nights-its taken all the rest,wind, rains ,cool. The problem is-will it ever fruit? I know Manila do,Baley's is still a question mark.

o

Not growing mangoes but have vanilla orchids, cocoa (Theobroma cacao), pineapple, cloves, cinnamon (C. zeylanicum), blue lilly pilly, capers, dragon fruit, bananas, coffee, and several others in containers - seattle area. May be moving to Wisconsin soon (Z 5) and will take most with me.

o

nancyanne_2010 - Tell me more about your cacao and coffee plants. Any luck getting production out of them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here