Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these red spots on my Peach tree

Posted by ianrwesley zone9b, FL (My Page) on
Mon, May 3, 10 at 16:11

I just purchased a new Tropic Beauty peach for my landscape 2 weeks ago. 3-4 days after planting in my yard the peach leaves began to get red spots. Now 1.5 wks later those red spots are turning into holes in the leaves.

I have some pictures below... Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these red spots on my Peach tree

Ian:

Looks like what is referred to as "Leaf Spot" or "Leaf Blight." Most often are fungal problems cured by application of a good fungicide. It is tough to give an exact diagnosis from a picture. Do you have an Agriculture Extension Office near you. They would be able to make specific reccomendations. Good luck with curing it. It may require several applications of fungicide.

Harry

o

Ian: I have the same problem. Have you found any fungicide that seems to work? Dave

o

Its actually not a fungus but bacterial spot, which there are no sprays you can apply to treat. Unfortunatly the Tropic beauty peach is not resistant to bacterial spot.

I have a Tropic Snow peach and Sun best nectarine, both of which are very resistant to bacterial spot. But for encouragement, last year my tropic snow did have some issues with the bacterial spot, and this year I have no problems.

o

It is a fungus better known as "rust", not bacterial spot. Bacterial spot are black dots and more towards the tip of the leaf and on the fruit.

The best treatment that I found is a soil drench using Dithane M-45. Mix 2 Tablespoons (1oz) to one gallon of water. To that mix you can also add water soluble fertilizer such as tomato 18-18-21 or 20-20-20 using the same amounts stated. Re-apply again in 10-days, then re-apply 10-days after that again. You can also spray the trunk, branches, and leaves with this mix.

The best document actually a Power Point presentation that shows all types of peach disease and how to treat them can be found here: http://www.imok.ufl.edu/misc_news/peach_field_day06/diseases_of_peach.ppt

Very informative pdf doc.
http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/pi/enpp/pathology/pathcirc/pp69.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Diseases of Peach in Central and South Florida

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here