Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soursop (Guanabana) or Cherimoya?

Posted by kwaaron AZ (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 08 at 16:42

Hello,
I have two trees that I grew from seed at least two or three years ago. The problem is, I've also started germinating seeds from cherimoyas bought at the grocery store. The problem is, now I don't remember whether the two oldest trees are soursops or cherimoyas. Does anyone know if there are any characteristics that can differentiate between the two? I have photos of them if that would be of any help.
Thanks for any help you can offer me

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soursop (Guanabana) or Cherimoya?

Soursop leaves are smooth, glossy and more elongated than cherimoya and have a strong black current/ cat pee smell. Cherimoya leaves are more rounded, ribbed, and have slightly bitter smell- if thats possible!

o

• Posted by cagary zone 10 CA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 15, 08 at 19:45

Also the soursop will die during your winter, but the cherimoya should survive pretty easily.

o

Well I'm glad you guys could help me out with that, as I would've otherwise had no idea as to their ID. After looking at the leaves, I'd say it's probably a cherimoya, but I'll post a couple pics and see what you think. Thanks again!

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

• Posted by cagary zone 10 CA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 16, 08 at 19:46

Cherimoya for sure.

o

Looks just like my cherimoya.

o

Bluepalm, has your tree ever flowered/produced fruit? I've got two relatively large trees (maybe four-five feet tall) potted in 15 gallon containers. One looks pretty sickly; a lot of it's leaves are crispy around the edges. Have you had similar problems with your trees?

o

Mine is in the ground here in Florida. It looks very healthy and should be big enough to fruit. I had one flower when growth emerged this spring...no fruit though. I've read that Cherimoyas don't fruit well in Florida, but I brought this variety with me from San Diego because the fruit was DELICIOUS. I'm hoping it will fruit for me. Sometimes the older leaves on my Cherimoya get crispy on the edges by the end of autumn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here