Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mahachanook Mango Trees in South Florida

Posted by murahilin 10 fl (My Page) on
Sun, May 15, 11 at 16:57

Excalibur Fruit Trees in Lake Worth has the Mahachanook mango trees for sale. They have both 7 gallons and 25 gallons. I am not sure if the 25gs are for sale but the 7's are. The 7's were all recently potted up from 3's though so they haven't fully rooted out yet.

Here are some pics of the tags and the 25 gallons:
They were in quarantine for 2 years so according to that tag they came out of quarantine last year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mahachanook Mango Trees in South Florida

Nice! I gotta make a trip out there. How is the productivity compared to Okrung, Tebow and others that Pine Island rates as excellent producers?

Tom

o

Good to see a state-side source. Is Excalibur going to start propagating them? I might have to ad it to my growing list of things to pick up while down there.

o

Any idea about the dozens of one-gallon grafted durians he has in the back?

o

I want one of those 25 gals... Just don't know if I need another mango, and I don't really have room for another tree...

Really tempting though..

o

Murahilin,

Is that one of those mangoes that ripen green and then still taste sweet? LOL

o

Jsvand,
They should be grafting a lot this summer. I saw a few thousand mangos in buckets waiting to be used for rootstock so I'm guessing they will be grafting a ton of different mangos this summer.

pepperot,
I am not sure how the productivity compares. Harry should be able to answer that question though.

fruitguy,
Most of the durians died. I think only like 3 or 4 lived and those were not from a named tree. I think the roostocks were too old. I lost my keys for nothing.

sleep,
I think you should go for it. lol

pj,
Haha. I think you're right.

o

that mahachanook mango looks like the Ataulfo I bought last christmans.

o

Thanks for this good info Murahilin. It was nice to see you again today at Excalibur.

I got a large 3 gal Maha Chanook mango. They have about 10-15 trees in that container size. For what's supposed to be a smaller sized cultivar I was kind of surprised at how long and lanky the 3 gallon size trees are.

o

...and I'm from California, doing the slow phyto-cert. burn.....

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......MahamangoSnarl

o

mangodog...are you doing an order on through Excalibur? like everyone else, i'm very much interested and would split s&h with you. LMK

Tim

o
excalibur do mail order?

forgot to ask the more important question...
Do they do mail order?

Tim

o

Unfortunately for all of us...Excalibur will not ship.

o

SWrancher,
No problem. It was nice seeing you too. I think the long and lanky problem is because the mahachanooks were pretty cramped until recently. I've seen the same thing happen with lots of the mango trees that aren't given adequate space. By the way, your car is pretty cool.

Jay,
Must suck not being able to just stop by the nursery anytime to pick up new tropical fruit trees.

o

So how can we Socal guys get this tree if they do not ship?

o

Im planning on making a tree run to Florida in late Oct. If you get a list together by then we can work something out. Don Phoenix

o

...it's a great idea Phxplantaddist, but we still have the AZ/CA border problem for us Californians....I've snuck stuff over before but get that gut feeling the day will come when my non-challance to the guard will trigger a diff. wave of his hand.....

mangoPup

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here