Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
murahilin_gw

Mahachanook Mango Trees in South Florida

murahilin
12 years ago

Excalibur Fruit Trees in Lake Worth has the Mahachanook mango trees for sale. They have both 7 gallons and 25 gallons. I am not sure if the 25gs are for sale but the 7's are. The 7's were all recently potted up from 3's though so they haven't fully rooted out yet.

Here are some pics of the tags and the 25 gallons:

They were in quarantine for 2 years so according to that tag they came out of quarantine last year.

Comments (16)

• pepperot
    12 years ago

Nice! I gotta make a trip out there. How is the productivity compared to Okrung, Tebow and others that Pine Island rates as excellent producers?

Tom

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Good to see a state-side source. Is Excalibur going to start propagating them? I might have to ad it to my growing list of things to pick up while down there.

• fruit_guy
    12 years ago

Any idea about the dozens of one-gallon grafted durians he has in the back?

• sleep
    12 years ago

I want one of those 25 gals... Just don't know if I need another mango, and I don't really have room for another tree...

Really tempting though..

• pj1881
    12 years ago

Murahilin,

Is that one of those mangoes that ripen green and then still taste sweet? LOL

• murahilin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jsvand,
    They should be grafting a lot this summer. I saw a few thousand mangos in buckets waiting to be used for rootstock so I'm guessing they will be grafting a ton of different mangos this summer.

pepperot,
    I am not sure how the productivity compares. Harry should be able to answer that question though.

fruitguy,
    Most of the durians died. I think only like 3 or 4 lived and those were not from a named tree. I think the roostocks were too old. I lost my keys for nothing.

sleep,
    I think you should go for it. lol

pj,
    Haha. I think you're right.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

that mahachanook mango looks like the Ataulfo I bought last christmans.

• swrancher
    12 years ago

Thanks for this good info Murahilin. It was nice to see you again today at Excalibur.

I got a large 3 gal Maha Chanook mango. They have about 10-15 trees in that container size. For what's supposed to be a smaller sized cultivar I was kind of surprised at how long and lanky the 3 gallon size trees are.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

...and I'm from California, doing the slow phyto-cert. burn.....

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......MahamangoSnarl

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

mangodog...are you doing an order on through Excalibur? like everyone else, i'm very much interested and would split s&h with you. LMK

Tim

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

forgot to ask the more important question...
    Do they do mail order?

Tim

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Unfortunately for all of us...Excalibur will not ship.

• murahilin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

SWrancher,
    No problem. It was nice seeing you too. I think the long and lanky problem is because the mahachanooks were pretty cramped until recently. I've seen the same thing happen with lots of the mango trees that aren't given adequate space. By the way, your car is pretty cool.

Jay,
    Must suck not being able to just stop by the nursery anytime to pick up new tropical fruit trees.

• socalmango
    12 years ago

So how can we Socal guys get this tree if they do not ship?

• phxplantaddict
    12 years ago

Im planning on making a tree run to Florida in late Oct. If you get a list together by then we can work something out. Don Phoenix

• mangodog
    12 years ago

...it's a great idea Phxplantaddist, but we still have the AZ/CA border problem for us Californians....I've snuck stuff over before but get that gut feeling the day will come when my non-challance to the guard will trigger a diff. wave of his hand.....

mangoPup

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor