Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is wrong with this pineapple?

Posted by shuffles 9B (My Page) on
Fri, May 10, 13 at 17:14

All of our Sugarloaf pineapples are throwing off pups under the fruit. Some have a lot more pups than this. Is this normal? Our pineapples descended from the grocery store have never had this problem. Should we get rid of them and start over?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is wrong with this pineapple?

Here is a photo of a different one.

o

The fruit sure looks good, but don't know about those little fruit forming below. Sure hope you'll find out what's the right thing to do first before removing anything.

o

I don"t think this is necessarily a problem. If you remove a ripe pineapple w/o cutting too much stem, this happens every time. Called the second ratoon. Produces smaller tho more sweet fruit. How/what do you feed your pineapples? Jim

o

Have never had it happen with any of mine, but I don't know what varieties they are. It can't be good for fruit development. If you propagate off the same plants you'll continue the same problem.

o

notascrenename; I fertilize with a pinch of very slow time release ferts. Too much will burn them. These sugarloafs have never had fruit before and are growing in half pine fines/half spagnam. The grocery store descendants are growing in the ground.

o

• Posted by soaht Central CA 9B (My Page) on
    Sat, May 11, 13 at 16:31

I saw some youtube video of a guy who removed the pups from under the developing fruit and started new plants with the pups. I think it will fruit faster starting from pups than a new crown. Below is a link to the CRFG page about pineapples.

Here is a link that might be useful: pineapple

o

I try to find how any tropical plant I grow is grown commercially, then adapt that to the container environment.( I'm in north Alabama so my plants spend the winters in a greenhouse.) See the U of Hawaii CTAHR website to see how they do it in the fields. Really eye opening to me! I pretty much follow that with some tweaking for Leaching. As far as the pups, I think your plants need fed. Jim

o

That is happening to mine too! I've left my on and have had those fruit a couple of years later..I was too lazy to remove them and plant them separately lol...

This one has 5 baby pups...

o

Well hopefully it is not genetic but just a lack of fertilizer. I plan to feed mine more and see how it works out. Also, I have some younger ones in the ground like the unknown varieties from the store. Time will tell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here