Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantlover13

Help with picking plants

plantlover13
10 years ago

Hello. This is my first post here, but I've been lurking for a while:) I am looking into buying some tropical trees to grow here, maybe. I don't know if i will, but i am considering it and rolling the thought around in my head. However, there is a catch. Strictly container only. I live in long island, not exactly tropical paradise. So i need help picking out some cultivars.

First; mango.

I am looking into growing a condo mango here. I am looking into buying this from Pine island nursery, i have heard good reviews about them. i am debating between Pickering and Nam Doc Mai. Which do you think is better and why? Also, how does the Mallika Mango do in pots? PIN has it listed as a condo mango. How tall does it get? from my understanding, the NDM and Pickering grow rather small, which is why i am considering them. I haven't found any information about the height of the mallika, though, just that it is a "dooryard tree." Other suggestions welcome :)

Second; carambola (starfruit)

Of the varieties they offer, Which is the best? also,i can only grow ONE, so self pollination is a MUST. on their website, they have the following varieties listed:

Varieties: Arkin, Fwang Tung, Kari, Sri Kembangan

Third; lychee

I was just wondering weather it would be practical to grow a lychee in a container. I was looking at the mauritus variety, from what i have heard it is the best tasting and most consistant

Thank you very much for your help.

This post was edited by plantlover13 on Mon, May 13, 13 at 20:25

Comment (1)