Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleep_gw

Jackfruit flowers .. Help with ID..

sleep
12 years ago

My "Bangkok Lemon" Jackfruit is finally flowering. It has never set fruit before, and I really want it to do so this year.

I am having a tough time with ID'ing the male and female flowers. Any help would be appreciated ... Also, does hand pollinting help? if so, how do you do it??

Comments (19)

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

#4 looks very characteristic of female flower. 5 and 6 look female as well. I'd say you're getting some fruit this year.

Jeff

• rayandgwenn
    12 years ago

Sorry- They all look male to me.

• sleep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think #4 has the greatest possibility ... it has a really thick stalk and looks a little "stubbier" .. In person, it just looks a bit different than the others...

Crossing my fingers...

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Yeah....a bit hard to say with absolute certainty.....but I'd bet on male for all of them, if push came to shove. Female blooms should be in your not too distant future though, based upon the proliferation of male blooms.

Harry

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

sleep, how long has your bangkok lemon been in the ground? where did you purchase it from? is ti a seedling or grafted.

I have a seedling bangkok lemon from Excalibur, Its loaded with flowers too, seems like a productive cultivar

• sleep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mine is also a seedling from Excalibur.. It's been in he ground 2 years iirc.. I bought it as either a 25 or 50 gallon, don't remember exactly but it was by far the largest tree I have ever planted.

6ft ladder for perspective

Trunk

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

The flower in picture #4 has that 'ring' around the base of the flower which is characteristic of the female flowers on my NS1. I'll be surprised if that's not a female. You'll know in a couple of weeks though.

Jeff

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Your tree looks great. I can't help you on the flowers, but your pic is a little depressing for me. I have a grafted bangkok lemon that I was hoping to get fruit from soon but the trunk on mine is not even close to a thick as yours. Good luck, I hope Jeff is right.

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Yah, a grafted jackfruit won't usually start fruiting until it has a good thick trunk on it... which makes sense since it needs to hold those huge fruits. A grafted jack can start producing male flowers at only 3 feet tall, but I'd say plan on waiting 3 to 4 years after planting out for fruit to start forming.

Jeff

• sleep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It appears that the flower in pic # 4 is/was female!

Now I am wondering if it is a flower or small fruit.... How can one tell the difference?

Pic of it today, with a ripe Mauritius lychee held next to it..

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Ohh that's a fruit alright!!

Jeff

• marinfla
    12 years ago

NICE!!!!

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Interesting question actually. In my view, the female flower is the fruit. The degree that the female flower is successfully pollinated determines the overall development of what we call the fruit. The better the pollination, the more seeds that develop. The more seeds, the more fleshy structures (I think they are called perianths....or something like that)that cover each of the seeds. Its that fleshy structure that is the main eating highlight. I have had fruits that barely pollinated and have very few seeds and lots of undesireable rag (undeveloped perianths) inside. The pollination process is somewhat of a mystery to be. Sometimes it seems like there are no male flowers around to conduct the pollination....yet, fruit fully develop. Anyway, that's my two cents on the subject.

Harry

• sleep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great to hear everyones thoughts :)

Anyone know how long it usually takes to go from this stage, to a mature and ripe fruit? I assume it will take awhile..

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Flower to fruit times during the warm months are 150-180 days, depending on the culitvar.

Harry

• sleep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thought I would update this thread ..

This is the lone fruit, from the # 4 flower..

I took these photo's this morning. About a week ago, I gave the tree a "Campbell Haircut" Hopefully that will not affect the fruit at all ... Maybe I should have waited until after I picked the fruit .... Guess we'll see ..

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

oh man, that's just beautiful...congrats and many pats on the back buddy :)

Tim

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

That is pretty sweet. How large do you think it is? Next year I think I might wait to come down until the jackfruit are starting to ripen. I really want to try the bangkok lemon.

• bsbullie
    12 years ago

from the picture, my guess would be in the 20-25lb range

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions