Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cactus food for dragon fruit plant?

Posted by ashleysf 9 San Jose, CA (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 17:28

I am also new to dragon fruit. I just got one and intend to leave it in its pot until next year. I want to know if I should give it some cactus food since I already have some and since it is a cactus, i thought why not? Anyone tried cactus food on dragin fruit before? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cactus food for dragon fruit plant?

I've used Schultz cacti and Cactus Juice(?) with no problems. I can also dig out a recipe for making your own that works fine. Plus a small pinch of organic granules isn't bad either.

I do believe in mild but constant ferts as opposed to a big amount every once in awhile.

good luck,
-Ethan

o

What is the N-P-K ratio on the label? It shouldn't hurt your plant but your fertilization schedules should depend on what you want your plant to do and what time of the year it is. If your plant is small and you want it to grow vegetatively this season, maybe a fertilizer with some good Nitrogen.

It is close to DF flowering season here in California so if your plant is large, I would recommend giving it an organic fertilizer high in P-K.

I would guess that normal cactus fertilizer is quite low in nutrients. Remember that DF is treated more like a crop.

o

• Posted by dghays Z10A FL Brevard (My Page) on
    Fri, May 14, 10 at 9:49

I never fertilized mine that much, but agree a slow release would be good. I would foliar spray them now and then, they did quite well.

Gary

o

i dont really focus much on fertilizing mine either, they grow by themselves.

i may throw a handful of granular once or twice a year in their corner.

o

Thanks a lot! i am planning on adding a time release all purpose plant food and foliar feeding with Shultz cactus food occasionally. My plant was broken during handling and it is very short, so I want it to grow as much as possible in my summer season so that it is a little bit more stronger and healthier to withstand the coming winter. Which is why I am worrying about feeding a cactus :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here