Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

African Pride Atemoya

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

Has anyone ever had these fruits before? If so, how would you rank it with the other other varieties like Geffner?

Andrew

Comments (34)

• mangojoe_1975
    13 years ago

Hello. It is a very good variety that is still commercially grown. I believe TREC in Miami has some of these plants. They have been studied for about 40 years. The flavor is excellent if compared to other popular Atemoyas like Page or Priestly, and I believe they do as well physically as Geffner.

As for taste, it's hard to tell. Geffner was my first Atemoya and I tend to compare all others to them. I don't think you would go wrong to get an African Pride, it would be a great addition to your garden. I personally think African pride grows a little better (the fruit) and depending upon what pollinates, African Pride seems to fill out a little better (the fruit). But that could just be my location.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

joe do you know anything about 48-26 Lisa atemoya?

• mangojoe_1975
    13 years ago

Don't have a clue. Pine Island Nursery seems to be the only one who sells it. I would call them and ask. If you do, let me know.

Joe

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Bryan:

I posted this somewhere previously on the forum. I'll post it again here to answer your question about the Lisa (48-26) in case you didn't see it:

There is a long story behind the 48-26. I bought one the year it was released by Zill High Performance Plants. That was back in the mid 90's. I originally heard about it from Har Mahdeem. He grew up in the Amazon region of Brazil and was the resident annona expert conducting the breeding program for Zill's. Anyway, apparently, the 48-26 was the best of the breeding up to that time in the program and Gary Zill wanted to release it to the public for sale. Har apparently thought that it should be used for another generation of breeding before it was released, as it wasn't quite up to his expectations. Gary Zill won out and it was put into production. It was supposedly a tree that you'd have to watch as it could fruit itself to death if the fruit set wasn't thinned. I bought one. The tree grew huge. It almost never fruited. When it did fruit, the fruit were mis-shaped as the result of what I assumed was poor pollination. People kept telling me how great the 48-26 was....and I kept wondering why mine was not good. Finally, at the Broward Rare Fruit Council meeting a month or two ago......the speaker was Har Mahdeem. He's no longer with Zill. I asked him about my ill-fated 48-26. He explained that they apparently had some sort of compatibility issue with the root stock that was used to do the grafting. Apparently, since each rootstock was a seedling and therefore a unique individual, many of the trees had the same problem mine had. He said almost half produced poorly or not at all.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

i remember you telling me that, my tree had some problems taking last year, but it was a huge tree in a small container when i bought it. it seems to be getting settled now, i just topped it to 3 feet because it was developing a v crotch and growing out lanky, i will keep everyone updated this season.

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I have the 48-26 too. The first year I got 1 big fruit. The second year I got 10 small-med size fruits out of it. The fruit smell great but not so sweet. It had a little acidity it in too. The fruits were in different shapes and sizes. It was not the best atemoya ever. Even my seed grown sugar apple was sweeter. But the texture of the inside was pretty nice. Because it was not the best variety I had to order a gefner. I also got another 48-26 from PI. We will see if the fruit taste the same as the other one or not.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

hmm. i wonder if my heat will sweeten them up, i like sub acid flavor and the texture i know is important in Atemoya, preferably for it to be more cherimoya and less sugar apple like.

they were bred to be grown in areas where Cherimoya dont do so well.

• mangojoe_1975
    13 years ago

I wonder if the discrepancy in production and fruit flavor have to do just with rootstock. For example, I know that if Valencia Orange is grafted on the common lemon and lime rootstock, Volk americana it produces, sour fruits and somewhat dry. The blood oranges produce beautifully in California and in Italy on clay soils, bringing out their true purple-red flesh, but when grown on the same rootstock in central Florida, the flesh is faintly spotted red but mostly orange in color. Similarly, Mallika Mango on south Florida soils is an alternate, fairly shy bearer, but in India it's a fantastic, consistent producer. Could the Lisa just need to have different soils? Perhaps this was another thing that Zill's opponent was trying to figure out before the plants release? Any thoughts?

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

Harry,

very interesting story... which annonas are you actually growing? Do you hand-pollinate them? I have tons of information about cherimoya pollination, but nothing about a. reticulata or a. squamosa...

Kristi,

do you hand-polliante your container annonas?

Felipe

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Yes, I have to hand pollinate each flower. Somehow the flower won't take until mid summer. My two 48-26 are flowering now.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello,
    I just wanted to report that my African Pride will be here Wednesday or thurday. Roger told me that the other graft isn't El Bumpo but another variety called Sabor. He said that a lot of people prefer the Sabor cherimoya fruit. He also told me that it is a very big tree. I can't wait to get it!!
    Andrew

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just got my tree today. Expensive? I really don't think I did to badly. I have the cherimoya Sabor and the African Pride. The tree is around 2 ft but the rootstock and grafted scions look really nice.(Did I say that right?) The branches are about 3 inches in diameter. I think I will get fruit sooner. I was really shocked at that. Very healthy tree. I will post a picture tomorrow.
    Andrew

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Great! Sounds like you hit the jack pot. Looking forward to the pics.

Harry

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Harry,
    Yeah I think I hit the jack pot. I am also going to enjoy seeing these too diffrent fruits grow on one tree. They are basiclly identical in appearance but I have all ready seen how the buds look diffrent at this stage. I am excited to start getting some hands on experience with these trees. The reality is that the fruits are large but growing it in a pot will give me some great advantages. I can get 2 diffrent fruits on one tree. For us northern growers, it is such a space issue for us in the winter. I did pay about $85.00 total but I know that the shipping was $35.81. Quite a hike in cost compared to Florida!! I have bought tropicals 3 tines from California now and the actual price for the trees has been great. My first graftedFino was $20.00 I believe plus $30.00 for shipping. i bout an Oro blanco grapefruit from Four Winds and the shipping was also $30.00. Nipa's prices are great and being able to go to FL in the summer and pick up what I want is a huge bonus! I may come back from Florida with a Geffner atemoya or then again maybe another mango. I would like one of the asian cultivars. I am leaning towards the Nam Dac Mai. I am looking forward to eating these fruits. I now really like the cherimoya. I will post picstures of both trees very soon.
    Andrew

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have a question about pruning my atemoya/cherimoya tree. I still have to post the picture but anyways one of the branches on the sabor is growing straight across and the African Pride graft is only about 4 inches from the sabor graft. Should I just remove it to avoid any future problems? When is the best time to prune these trees?
    Andrew

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

lol...need to post picture so we can see what you're talking about. I think you should not remove anything now. Let the tree get back to normal first. You can always prune later. Since you have to move the tree back into the house later on, make sure you prune it to a shape that will fit thru the door.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a picture of my newest tree from Roger Meyer the grafted african pride/sabor. The buds are just starting to open.
    Andrew

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Andrew,

That is a nice branched tree. Why is it still in the house? You should take it outside to enough the heat. Just place it in a shaded area. My gefner is outside for a couple days already. It was in the shade cloth but I just place it in direct sun today. Let the tree grow first before you prune?

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey Kristi,
    I will be putting it outdoors here next week. I have not had the tree for a week yet and I just want to make sure that it is adjusting okay. I just try to give it a little extra TLC until I can see the buds opening. Once those buds open and I can see new leaf growth, I then put it outdoors. I am going to post a picture of my grafted Fino de Jete. The rootstock had a growth on it and I quickly removed it to prevent the rootstock from competing with the top. Did you post any pics yet Kristi? How do you like your Nam Doc Mai? I don't know about the pruning yet. I am waiting for Roger to contact me and let me know what he thinks.
    Andrew

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I have not receive my nam doc mai so I got a refund. I'm ordering from niphut now. I'll post my gefner soon. I'm going to get the nam doc mai and carrie from niphut. I'm telling you, I have no more room but I still want to buy more. I'm trying to move some other not so important trees down or somewhere else so I can have more room to fit my other mango trees...lol. Is there a cure for addicts?

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Kristy:

Yes...there is a cure. We have a chapter here in Florida of TFTNA (Tropical Fruit Tree Nuts Anonymous). I can't tell you who attends.......privacy prevents this disclosure, but I can tell you that the origaniztion has helped many try to get a grip on their obsessions. Would you like me to send you a brochure? Perhaps you can start a PA chapter.

Harry

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Hahhaha...Harry. I don't know if I can quit now. I would like to...but then I don't know.... Seriously..you guys were the one who talk and show pictures of mangos and got me interested. I think I quited a couple months ago...lol. But I think I will quit for sure after my mango trees. Well, I still want the bradley or african pride and the kaimana lychee. But I think I can try to get scions to do grafting for the atemoya instead. The kaimana lychee is a hard find so I might not get that for a long time. See...I'll be cure soon....hehhehe.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just wanted to give a quick update. I sptted flower buds on both the African Pride and the Sabor cherimoya. I won't have to worry about pruning out those branches that I though were going to end up growing out and rubbing on the African Pride. The branches are dead. I also removed a bud below the graft thinking it would rob energy from the grafts. This tree and My grafted Fino are putting out growth so fast now! I can't wait to see how well they do this summer! Thanks everyone for offering tips and advice on growing these trees!
    Andrew

• frootloopy
    13 years ago

48-26 has got to be one of the best fruits in the world. Mine was fruiting like crazy but has been blown over several times so I'm thinking the root system has suffered. Its been in the ground since '97. I have a Geffner too and that is excellent (like this year) when the planets line up and sometimes not. If they have the rootstock issue straightened out I highly recommend it. I will be grafting mine to sugar apple. I prune mine back in the winter. They do pollinate unevenly 'tho so some fruit are misshapen. Great fruit tree.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

I have a 48-26 i the ground, ive heard mixed reviews about 48-26 compared to Geffner but im glad to hear its frootloopy approved

• jlrivero813_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

african pride atemoya is one of the best along with the 48-26 wich is the lisa atemoya i have them all in my yard and thise 2 are the best ive ever had i graft alot of those too

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

On the 48-26 (lisa): Zill's has been using cherimoya for rootstock now. Anecdotal information suggests that the cherimoya rootstock favors the better production. If I remember correctly, they were using pond apple rootstock in the late 90's.

Jeff

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

I'm not sure what it(the rootstock) was early on, but I don't think it was pond apple on the 48-26. They used pond apple on the Illamas though.

Harry

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

OK. For some reason I was thinking it was pond apple under the atemoyas from that era too. At any rate, it seems cherimoya is the rootstock to use these days. R Wilson was also saying that cherimoya was the up and coming rootstock for the anonas.. though he might have just been relaying that information from G Zill.

Jeff

• jlrivero813_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

hello im joel is there anyone that can tell me where i can buy and african pride,and a pink mammoth atemoya or sell me some scion wood so i can graft them onto my sugar apple seedlings please call me or email at JLRIVERO813@YAHOO.COM OR 813-401-4014
    THANKS

• AlsFarm187
    12 years ago

New to forum. I am looking for an African Pride Atemoya in Miami. Does anyone know who sells them?
    Thanks,

• annonalover
    11 years ago

This is my 48-26 "Lisa" Atemoya that I picked just yesterday. I planted the tree July 2012. I was happy to get a good bloom this Spring. I hand pollinated the tree, which was relatively small but grew fast. I have a second bloom now in the Fall. I am tempted to hand pollinate again but don't want to stress the tree since it has barely been in the ground a year, with carrying more fruit through winter. Has anyone successfully grown Fall pollinated fruit with this tree? I can post tomorrow when I try the fruit as to the flavor. It has a lovely tropical fragrance that I like very much! BTW, I believe that Spyke's Nursery can order an African Pride for you.

• Doglips
    11 years ago

annonalover,
    You planted the tree in July, and you are harvesting in Sept? How big is the tree? And how did it taste?

Everything I have been reading says that cherimoyas are ripe up till about June at the very latest. So, atemoyas have a season the runs counter to cherimoyas?

• vincesfl
    11 years ago

I have a 48-26 "Lisa" atemoya. It is delicious! I got one fruit the 2nd yr I had it in the ground. This is my 2nd Spring with my tree. It is growing very quickly. It is producing tons of flowers. I'm out hand pollinating it every evening and morning this spring. I'm looking forward to enjoying more fruit this year. I put some pineapple scraps in the tree next to the blossoms. I have noticed way more flies and bugs. I hope this will encourage more pollination. We'll see what happens.