Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sapote_gw

My mango fruits update

sapote
9 years ago

My first time fruiting Manila has some powder mildew; at first I thought it was Anthracnose and treated it with copper spray wrongly, and finally realized it was mildew and have been using Sulphur power and it works great. Photo of the fruits with yellowish sulphur on stems.

Comments (11)

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Maha with two fruits left after picked off the other lesser four. This one is the bigger of two.

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

second frui

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As reported before, my Alphonso is near the south wall and all of its flower and small fruits dropped off during last month near 100F heat, and I thought it was due to the reflected heat. I had used a screen to shade off the sun on hot days. But lately I learned that if I keep the soil moist with cardboard mulching then the tree is very happy even without the sun screen. It starts sending out new flower and vegetation, and some of them are very close to the graft line near ground. No more sun burn on leaves.

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Full size of tree

• jdioqs
    9 years ago

Are you in texas.? If you are how are your mangoes doing so far?

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in southern California and all of my mangoes are doing great so far.

• newgen
    9 years ago

How old is the Manila? Seems like there are way too many fruits for that little guy to support.
    Thanks,

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The tree in the background is a Plum, and the 4" diameter Manila trunk doesn't show on the photo. Just kidding, the manila is a little over 1" trunk, and it's 4 years old I think. Mangoes doesn't grow fast or big in my area, 91501, due to the cool nights in summer and cold in winter. Well, this could be a bless since one can grow many different variety mangoes trees in a small yard.

• myamberdog
    9 years ago

Looks like your Maha is way ahead of your manila as far as maturity of fruit. Would love to see a pic of. the Manila tree.

Funny you talk about heat and it's effect on setting fruit cuz I think I've discovered that it DOES affect the tree holding fruit. I waited too long this year to cover up both my Coconut Cream and Edward mango with shade cloth and they dropped all mangoes except 3. But of course can't be sure, but that's what it seems like....at least out here in Palm Springs....

Where in SoCal are you?

Myamberdawg

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MangoDog, I'm in Burbank 91501. Next week we're going to have 90F all week. I did post the Manila pic before. Let me find it again. Here it is with flowers a month or 6 weeks ago. Manila fruits seem to be slow growing -- might be too many fruits compare to just 6 on the Maha and so the Maha fruits are bigger?

• sapote
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MDog, about the heat and fruits drop off, I think if it's above 90F then this could be an issue. Mango prefers around 80 to 90F and humid weather. I think during the hot days if I keep the soil wet and much to have moist soil then the trees like it, but will see. So far my Alphonso responses well with 2" layer of Kellogg soil less Patio Plus as much and a cardboard on top to keep it moist in California low humidity condition