Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangojoe_1975

Mango Pedigree

mangojoe_1975
13 years ago

Anyone up on the Pedigree's of the following and the country of origin of Pickering variety Mango? Any "x" (hybrid) would be great if you know it or if they are seedlings and also their either year of planting or year of introduction. Thank you, Thank you!!!

I also need info on Pickering Mango, how big, canopy size, production, etc.

1 Ice Cream (Trinidad), but that's all the info I have.

2 Pu Pyi Klai (Lemon Merangue) From Burma, but that's all the info I have.

3 Okrung (Thailand) (Not Okrung Tong)

4 Philippine (Philippines)

5 Alphonso from india

6 Pickering (I know nothing about this at all)

7 San Felipe from Cuba

8 Madame Francis from Haiti

9 Alampur Baneshan from India

10 Nam Doc Mai from Thailand

11 Pim Sane Mun from Thailand

12 Brahm Kai Mea from Thailand (Which is a funny name because it actually means in Thai: "I"ll trade my wife for this."

13 Lancetilla from Honduras

14 Neelum from India

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MangoJoe

(Forgive me Mango_Kush, I want to share this with everyone.)

Comments (25)

• mangojoe_1975
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Also Any info and Pedigree on Turpentine Mango would be appreciated.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

i made a thread already with my varieties which should give you some more info on your varieties

Pickering is a Florida cultivar.

named after Wayne Pickering who is dubbed the Mango Man, im not sure if he knows what its parentage is.
    http://www.wayne-pickering.com/index.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: my variety thread

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

not sure if you read it already but this is one of the best analysis on mango pedigree i have read

hope they continue to do it including more varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.fshs.org/Proceedings/Password%20Protected/2005%20v.%20118/118/192-197.pdf

• mangojoe_1975
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mango_Kush: If I remember correctly, NDM was an introduction by Frank Smathers for the USDA. (Don't know how detailed you want to be.)

Rosi Gold is a seedling of Ono from Hawai'i.

As I understand it. The true name is "Chocanon."

Thanks for the info.

• mangojoe_1975
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have studied that Pedigree list before. I don't know where else to source this information.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

1 Ice Cream is actually from Tobago, introduced to Florida by Maurice Kong

3 Okrung (Thailand) (Not Okrung Tong) was introduced the same time with Nam Doc Mai 1973 by the USDA

4 Philippine (Philippines)- theres some confusion with this variety and my research. some sources claim this to be the sweetest mango, some claim its another variety dubbed PSM "Phillipine super mango", other sources claim Okrung Tong as having the highest brix. ive also seen this variety being called manilla but also have seen them both listed as distinct varieties.

5 Alphonso from india, named after Afonso de Albuquerque, locally called "hapoos"

6 Pickering, Wayne Pickering, Florida. a new cultivar showing alot of promise

7 San Felipe from Cuba

8 Madame Francis from Haiti - also called Francine or simply Haitian,

9 Alampur Baneshan from India - Andrah Pradesh

10 Nam Doc Mai from Thailand 1973 by the USDA

11 Pim Sane Mun from Thailand, i know "mun means crunchy as in eaten green

12 Brahm Kai Mea from Thailand (Which is a funny name because it actually means in Thai: "I"ll trade my wife for this."

13 Lancetilla from Honduras

14 Neelum from India - Tamil Nadu

some Thai words commonly used in mango names translated

mun = crunchy
    Tong = Gold

would be nice if someone knew the translation for some of the other Thai names

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Hey Mango Joe and welcome to the forum. Are you saying that Rosigold and Choc Anon are the same?

Harry

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

mangojoe, nothing is too detailed when it comes to mango varieties, especially varieties growing in my yard.

i remember reading the description for Okrung on a label at the Rare fruit council and it said it was introduced along with nam doc mai so i assume it was by Smathers as well. may want to check that if you get the chance though.

Rosigold and Chocanaon are definitely distinct cultivars.

Rosigold
    {{gwi:1316084}}

Chocanon
    {{gwi:1316086}}
    also top trop says phillipine was introduced from Mexico, i remember reading that somewhere else too. its a seedling strain of carabo. again im not sure if its identical to manilla, they are probably close seedlings.

• mangojoe_1975
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hmhausman: No, Rosi Gold and Chocanon are completely different. I was wondering what their Pedigree was. Thanks for the welcome!!

Mango_Kush: Nam Doc Mai was named after a lady "Mai" from south (Doc) Vietnam (Nam).

Philippine was not originally from Mexico, Manila was and became popular there and taken over to the Philippines and later named Manila. Philippine is distinctly different but I can't source the Pedigree. There is great question as to whether or not Manila and Philippine are the same, but when looking at the 2 side by side, they are clearly different, though resemble each other. It's possible that one is a seedling of the other in which case I think the Manila would be the parent of Philippine.

I remember reading somewhere that what later became known as Manila was actually seeds of #7 from Cuba taken to Mexico I believe in the last years of the 19th century. Don't quote me on that though.

• ashleysf
    13 years ago

1. Mallika is the result of the hybridization of the Indian mango varieties 'Neelum' and 'Dasheri'.
    2.Benishan or Alampur Baneshan is the same as the South Indian Banganapalli (Banganpalli)
    3. Edward - hybrid cross of Haden and Carabao
    4. Thompson mango - Seedling of Manila

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

mangojoe, i give up when seedlings have so many names because who knows if they are really true or distinct seedlings.

there is a popular mango in Puerto Rico, mango de Pina or Pineapple mango that is a seedling strain of an Asian variety and there is some question as to whether it is distinct or just a colloquial name for sweet seedling Asian mangos.

• mangojoe_1975
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A correction: The mango was Number 11 from Cuba not #7. I found this interesting couple of sentences from Julia Morton's book, Fruits of Warm Climates.
    "Seeds were imported into Miami from the West Indies by a Dr. Fletcher in 1862 or 1863. From these, two trees grew to large size and one was still fruiting in 1910 and is believed to have been the parent of the 'No. 11' which was commonly planted for many years thereafter. In 1868 or 1869, seeds were planted south of Coconut Grove and the resultant trees prospered at least until 1909, producing the so-called 'Peach' or 'Turpentine' mango which became fairly common. In 1872, a seedling of 'No. 11' from Cuba was planted in Bradenton."

• dghays
    13 years ago

I believe Edward was reputed to be a cross of Haden/Carabao, but is actually only from Haden if my memory serves.

Gary

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

my sources and taste buds tell me the same thing

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

wait, i meant my taste buds tell me Haden/Carabao

you are saying its a Haden seedling, but it has to have to been cross pollinated with an Asian variety somewhere along the way

im not sure how that actually works, can mangos get cross pollinated with other varieties or do they self pollinate themselves?

how do they crerate specific hybrids like Mallika, Tebow or Valcarrie

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Mango hybrids are created by cross pollination. Mangoes will also self in many instances. The lore surrounding Edward was that it was believed to be a cross of Haden and Carabao. According to the Fairchild Mango Book, the cross was supposedly made by Edward Simmonds of the Plant Introduction Garden in Miami in the 1920's. However, recent isozyme studies have not supported this assertion that these were the parents. The original tree was grown on the Simmonds residence in South Miami and was first named and described by Tom and David Sturrock. So, I am not sure if this was a seedling of Haden, but I believe that this was the case. The other parent is not known, as far as I know.

Harry

• tropicdude
    13 years ago

what two mango varieties and their traits would you like to see in a mango?

If you could cross / hybridize two mango parents to produce a new variety, which two would you like see combined?

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Carrie/Ice Cream

• mangojoe_1975
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Personally I would like to see hybrids of Nam Doc Mai and Mallika and Chocanon and Edward. Wouldn't that be crazy?

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

Mangokush & Joe:

Why those combinations??

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

because Edward is pretty good as far as indian/asian hybrids go and we have so many Asian varieties to choose from, i would like more mangos with distinct creamy flavors so hybrids of the following would be interesting to me

mallika
    ice cream
    carrie
    julie

• dghays
    13 years ago

I would go for a Julie hybrid which was highly productive and anthracnose resistant. As stated earlier, I don't think Edwards is really a hybrid, I think it's a Haden mutation.

Gary

• dghays
    13 years ago

I guess I had misunderstood how monoembrionic worked, I read up a bit and they seem to say all of that type are technically hybrids. I assume they could also be hybrids of their own type, since it would be more likely it being pollinated from itself. I'm glad this thread spurred me to learn more about it.

Gary

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

i never completely understood it either, theres alot of variability genetic testing is the only way to really tell.

i wonder how many hybrids of Dasheri and Neelum they made before choosing Mallika,

Mangojoe are you going to start a breeding program?

• mango908
    11 years ago

Even though a hybrid is pollinated or cross pollinated from its own type, The pollen is still from two different genetic type trees.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!