Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mms_727

Which plant to choose? Lychee, Sugar Apple, Goji, DF...

mms_727
14 years ago

I'm planning on buying a new plant closer to fruit-bearing age, but having trouble deciding which one.

Here are some I am considering:

Lychee (Brewster or Emperor?- I don't know the variety I've

tried before)

Sugar Apple

Goji Fruit

Dragon Fruit

The last three I've never tried. I've read differing opitions on websites.

So I am not sure taste-wise which is better. Also which ones will grow well with my set up.

My set up is a homemade greenhouse: clear mildew resistant shower curtain on frame with vaporizer/warm humidifier inside and a 6500K Grow bulb/lamp shining directly in- some window sun, but its not facing the right direction. Apt so I don't have much choice.

The plants I already have are:

Miracle fruit (2 yr old cutting ~ 15 inches), Starfruit (seedlings and one young plant), coco plum (young plant), Dragon fruit (2 very young slow growing seedlings) and pepino (young plant)

No fruit or starts of fruit on any of them yet.

Thanks for any suggestions/help!

Megan

Comments (8)

• simon_grow
    14 years ago

Since you live in an apartment, I would go with either an Emperor Lychee because they stay somewhat small or a named cultivar of Dragonfruit. The Lychee will be much more difficult to fruit but others have succeeded. Lychees tend to be alternate bearers and may fruit only lightly. I'm currently growing Sweetheart Lychees but the tree will get fairly large so I would not recommend it for your situation.

I really love Dragonfruit but you should do your research before investing on a cutting. I would not recommend growing dragonfruit from seeds because they will take a long time to fruit and the fruit will be unpredictable.

I currently grow the white, red and yellow varieties of dragonfruit. The white variety is the easiest to grow for me and the fruit is extremely large and sweet but is nowhere near as complex and tasty as the red varieties. The Red varieties I have growing are "Halley's Comet, American Beauty, Bien Hoa Red, Valdivia Roja and a few others. The Red varieties are sweet and have a hint of berry flavor. Halley's Comet and American beauty were the highest rated dragonfruit at the UC Irvine Dragon Fruit festival last year. You can purchase these varieties online at pineislandnursery.com but the shipping is super expensive.

Dragonfruit will sprawl so you have to be sure to train it properly and prune it back every year once it reaches the ideal size. I like to train it into a dragonfruit tree. Good luck with whichever plant you decide to go with!

• stressbaby
    14 years ago

I'd say go with the lychee. The DF will grow to be a monster and would likely outgrow your space before it would fruit. Other thoughts: Jaboticaba; Guavas (easy); Mango.

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

If you go with the dragon fruit I have had good luck with the company in my link. Looks like they are out of quite a few types but their prices are pretty good.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dragon fruit

• mms_727
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the input!! On the Pine Island Lychee profile it has the Emperor as inferior to the Brewster. How quickly do they usually grow? (just wondering because I hope to be out of an apt in a 1-2 years)

Jsvand5- How long do their cuttings take to bear fruit? I know everything takes lots of patience, but...some more than others. ;)

Checking out mangos and guava online...

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

No idea on how long to fruit. Depends of your climate, fertilization, soil, and probably luck.

• boom1
    14 years ago

get a sugar apple, they can take temps almost to freezing, they are smaller dooryard trees, they are easily hand pollinated and exotic, especially farther north.

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Forgot to mention. I would go with a cherimoya over the sugar apple. They taste better and have similar care requirements.

• norm52
    13 years ago

Hello ,
    Read that someone might have yellow Jaboticaba seed and wonder If you would consider parting with a few seeds
    Ursula
    culejools@yahoo.ca