Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jfernandez_gw

Puppies and fruit trees

jfernandez
12 years ago

I went to San Diego this morning to pick up a couple of puppies and also picked up a Golden Nugget Mandarin and a Star Blueberry.

Maximilian and Moma under my Cherimoya tree

and seedless Golden Nugget Mandarin and Star Blueberry

Comments (17)

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Awww...SUPER Cute!! Pug puppies? Couldn't have picked a cuter pair!!

Fruit trees are nice too! Good luck with them!

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Nancy

I know you are a big fan of Pugs. My intention was to get the female but when I saw the male I couldn't resist.

JF

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Looks like you got some ripe or almost ripe blueberries. Golden Nugget is very healthy looking.

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Correct Null. The nursery I went had a bunch of blueberry bushes full of blueberries to sample from and I loved the Star. Very sweet and little acid not as flowery tasting as Emerald, which I liked a lot.

JF

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Jfernandez,

I use to have a Star blueberry, until I lost it to high alkaline levels in the soil. The Sunshine Blue has been the winning variety for me. Every time I water with tap, its a battle of lowering the ph. I also have a Jewel blueberry which has been doing well for me.

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

cute little guys for sure, trees look good too.

-Ethan

• mangodog
    12 years ago

awwwwwwwww.....jf........those two black little love balls are ALMOST as cute as a pair of ripe mangos!!!!!!!!!

I think you got your hands full, now, brother...and excellent looking trees and blueberry bushes.....acidify the blues a lot, they are hard to keep where they like it with our water as nullzero said.....I use Aluminum Sulfate mixed in water every few weeks and lots of scattered coffee grounds........

mangoD

• murahilin
    12 years ago

"those two black little love balls are ALMOST as cute as a pair of ripe mangos!!!"

hahahahahahaha.. that quote is hilarious out of context.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

....Murahilin......now beHAVE!!!!!!!!!

mangoscratcher

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My puppies are begining to look more like gargoyles than pug's. they destroy my Namdocmai and ate all of the lower branches from my pouteria sapota. If they weren't so cute I don't know what I would have done. Nancy, I need some HELP!!!

JF

JF

• pikorazi
    12 years ago

JF! BEWARE! Believe it or not, little puppies like that destroyed even many of my salak and date palms and even phoenix canariensis (despite the thorns)! Puppies are very dangerous for plants...

Saludos,

Felipe

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hi JF, lol...SORRY Pal...you're on your own on this one! I do have some good news though! They will outgrow this "chewing" stage although right now it will feel like forever...Hang in there! Right now it may not seem like it...butthis too shall pass! Give them LOTS of "approved" toys and things to chew on (NOT fruit trees) :o)

Good luck!

• mangodog
    12 years ago

...they destroyed a MANGO TREE????

JF - what's happened to you (lol) ?

Where's your loyalty to the cause?

And watch the peeing when they get older - if they find a
    favorite tree to visit frequently, they can kill it if its young enough....

OneMangoLostDog

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys

I was warned about puppies but I took my chances with these because PUGS are great lapdogs, as I saw for myself with Lilly (my brother's PUG).

Gary,

I don't like losing any mango trees, even less my gorgeous Mamey lower limbs, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the one you love.

JF

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

JF, I couldn't agree with you more. Your Pug puppies are SO cute, how can you possibly get mad at them? They won't be puppies long thank goodness. Max is an excellent dog...he doesn't chew anything except his toys. Just give them lots to chew on other than tree limbs and you'll make it through the puppy stage,lol...

How can you not love those cute little faces :o)

• jfernandez
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Maxi and Moni are adorable, of course, I was mad when I got home and saw my Mamey lower branches shredded but I have taken some steps. I put chicken wire around the trees and I sign them up to training school after I get back from vacation, I'll keep you updated.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

....you are right of course, Pugsy and JF.....love changes the the rules of the game.....and they are super high on the "cute" factor......

MangoDoubleDogDown