Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roobix

Mango Tree Diseased?! Please help! : )

roobix
12 years ago

Hi Everyone! I would first like to apologize if this has been asked before!

Some background:

I recently moved into a home that has various fruit trees in the back, the Mango tree is one of them..I have no idea how to tell what type of Mango tree I have but it has a few little fruits on them..although I'm afraid they're going to be lost to me at this point.

I have no idea about any of the fruit trees in my yard, but I am trying really fast to learn about all the trees because I love to take care of our garden (even though this is my first garden!) I am completely new to the whole gardening thing!

I tried searching google all over the place, read everything on "Mango Fruit Facts" and anything else I could find, the closest thing I have is that I might have a fungus..

NO WHERE on google does anyone talk about falling panicles.. that just freaked me out to see today..

I live in Southern California, lately it's been very cool here around 75 degrees or less and there was a lot of rain a few weeks back

I believe the tree is established, although I may be wrong

Information:

1. Pictures are included below

2. Tree is about 7 feet high

3. Tree smelled like a bag of garbage when it first started to flower.. (is this normal?)

4. Flowers were yellow ..then as fruit was noticeable, the panicles and flowers began to brown..

5. flowers began to fall off of panicles

6. I noticed thick spider webs (pic below of some recurring webs) so I went and bout Roses RX which is suppose to be a fungicide/miticide...because I thought I might have spider mites

7. Some stems fell off last night!

Panicles fell off!

{{gwi:1316131}}

Brown panicles:

{{gwi:1316132}}

{{gwi:1316133}}

Leaves:

{{gwi:1316134}}

Are these a sign of spider mites?:

{{gwi:1316135}}

Finally: The tree itself

{{gwi:1316136}}

Questions

1. Is this the dreaded powder mildew disease?

2. Is my mango tree salvageable?..or will it die :(

3. Will the fruits already growing on my Mango be lost to me?

4. If still treatable, what do you all recommend? And can I get it at a home depot, lowes, walmart, etc.

5. Is there anything I didn't ask that you'd like to add? I would appreciate it! :)

-----------

I'm afraid that I might have let it brown for too long... I thought it was normal for the flowers to brown once fruit started to develop..but I honestly have no idea..and then the panicles fell off..I was just horrified...

Thank you thank you thank you to anyone who actually read this crazy post

and thank you in advance for anyone who might be able to help me!!

Comments (7)