Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bestday23

Long or Multi Season Mangos

BestDay23
11 years ago

Hi All, While looking for Mango trees to buy I decided that I wanted trees with either long or the possibility for multiple seasons in one year. I did a lot of searching in these forums and found mention of different trees in different posts but never found a post dedicated to this subject. So I decided I would list some species here to help other people and to get feedback (I'm sure I missed some).

Long Season

Maha Chanook - described as starting late early season to early late season. Season time varies from year to year.

Nam Doc Mai #4 - tree blooms in waves so fruit ripens at different times.

Rosigold - Has a very early and long season from March to June.

Baileys Marvel - June to mid August.

Edward - late May to July.

Jakarta - June to August.

Julie - June to August

Keitt - late July to October

Possibility for multiple seasons

Julie - usually only has one season in humid Florida. In Drier Jamaica tree reliably has two seasons June to August and Dec/Jan. Since I'm in dry Southern California I hope to have multiple seasons with this tree.

Choc Anon - usually only has one season in Florida November to January. Can occasionally have a second season in July. Growing in a container is said to stress the tree and improve odds of second July season. Does anyone know if this tree fruits in Southern California? I would think that it's usual November to January season would turn into January to March in Southern California. I would think that the tree would be dormant during this time and not ripen in SoCal?

Thai Everbearing - Reportedly can bear fruit in any month of the year. I have no idea if the fruit is any good.

Does this information sound right? Does anyone else have other varieties to add? Also is it safe to say that in Southern California varieties ripen about three months later than Florida?

Thanks for the help

Bill

Comments (3)

• mangodog
    11 years ago

Bill - you don't want EVERYTHING do you???

LOLOLOL.......

Unfortunately, our cool winters prohibit multi-season production, at least that is my experience so far. The places in the world where mangos produce like that are in
    the truly tropical areas. I think the best you're going to get is long seasons. As far as potted plants stressing out a second bloom and fruit set - can't say as I know that answer to that one....

I DO know from experience my KEITT did hold fruit from September thru November, and might have held longer if I hadn't picked the last one a bit green cuz I was tired of waiting.

And yes, we are at least 2 if not 3 months behind Florida.

All your varieties represent a well spread mango season as far as I can tell.....BUT.....I will say my climate out here does not seem to have an "early" season so far. My Rosigold ripens at exactly the same time, as my midseason Manila.....My Nam Doc Mai (a seedling, not the #4) is just flowering - a good 6-7 weeks after everything else, so that will be a late season one.

I think, Bill, you and I and all the SoCals are going to have to discover in our unique environments, how things ultimately pan out...

But didn't you just buy a bunch of plants? Or was that ManGoBananas....I'm starting to lose track of the newbies....sorry....

anyway that's my two centavos - I'll be interested to here what others have to say.....

Sorry, I couldn't reveal any more insight, but this is all pretty new for me too!

mangoPeaches

• BestDay23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I did just buy 12 trees. Who know how many I'll actually keep. Like you said the trees behave very differently here than they do in Florida.

You really bummed me out by saying the rosigold is not an early season Mango in California. That is the only reason I bought it. I have plenty of other varieties that are supposed to be superior. For how many seasons has your Rosigold fruited? If it was its first season maybe it was still adjusting from the seasons in Florida. Also do you know does this tree bloom and then produce fruit early, or does it bloom at the same times as other varieties and then the fruit matures faster(in Florida)?

Also do you know if the Choc Anon fruits in California? If so when?

• mangodog
    11 years ago

My Rosigold in the desert fruited in August, which is not saying it will do that for you. That's why I said everyone's microclimate may have different results, so don't despair just yet! It fruited only once a couple years ago, but has about 8-10 fruits on it now, so we'll see. The tree is over 4 years old, so is behaving a bit slow for some reason. Perhaps it's location or whatever, but I've only had that single fruit, and it was super good!

My Choc Anon is pushing growth now, but no flowers, again, only had it for 1 1/2 years so it is still a child. Don't see why it wouldn't fruit, but when I've no clue as yet....

Cheer up = your new adventure will soon arrive at your doorstep.....

keep us posted.....mangomange

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida