Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohiojay

Maha Chanook update

ohiojay
12 years ago

New growth flushing out everywhere on the plant.

The two remaining durians flushing new growth. These two have kept the anxiety level pretty high. I'll take any positive direction the plants give me. Still don't take them for granted! Still looking for a good therapist.

Comments (42)

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Lookin' pretty darned good, Jay. You might be able to pass on the therapist this next week.

Harry

• pepperot
    12 years ago

Congrats! I'm impressed. You're my hero for trying to grow durian. Definitely more bolder than I am.

Tom

• murahilin
    12 years ago

Your durians are looking great. Hopefully they fruit as soon as your jackfruit did.

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hey Jay,
    Can you find durian in Ohio? I assume if so, it would be frozen....same with jackfruit.

I wonder if I will ever get to try either, though I am addmitedly nervous with the thought of trying fresh durian.

Jackfruit on the other hand, I would love to try. Bo sent me canned and dried, I much prefered the dried.

As far as those trees go, they look aesome Jay! Congrats on the Maha! Maybe in another couple years your Maha Chinook will be as big as mine...LOL! Sorryr for busting your chops!

Andrew

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Looks like your Maha might be ready for a pugging. Looks like it picked a great place to branch out for you. If you did pug it maybe you could try to use the cut part to graft onto a branch of your nam doc mai. Looks like the buds have not quite pushed on that long branch yet.

• ch3rri
    12 years ago

Ohio, why do you have two durians? I thought you didn't like the smell...lol. I wish to have a maha too after trying it from Harry. But not sure if I want to pay $100 for a 3 gallon though. I only paid $30 for nam doc mai and carrie...and I'm so afraid the nursery messed up with the labels. Cross my fingers and hope my mango trees produce good quality fruits.

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

congrats J, glad to see the mango is doing so well and the durians are still alive. Did any of your PR durian seeds sprout?

mangosteen and durian in OH?!

good luck,
    -Ethan

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hero? Bold? I would certainly agree with you on that for many things. Trying durian and some of the other plants? My wife has a whole list of terms and descriptions...hero and bold were not included!

arry...my wife would disagree.

Sheehan...I knew I could count on your support. It may be a year or two before first bloom!!!

That's okay Andrew...I have your address!!

John...seriously considering pugging the plant. I'll wait for the Pug master herself to chime in with an assessment.

Ch3rri...two different varieties. Unfortunately, I lost the 3rd variety. I may have him replace it. The smell only bothers me under certain extreme conditions. Yeah...$100 for one plant is hard to swallow. I've done it before...if you count shipping in the total. Still kind of sticks in your throat...especially when you lose the plant!

Ethan...yes, the PR durian seeds sprouted just fine. I've been nursing them along. This winter, the thrips found my durian especially attractive. They seem to know which of my plants hold the most value and target them first!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

NICE new growths Jay!! Congrats...hope it continues to do well!

• pj1881
    12 years ago

Jay
    It looks like you have the graft union above the soil line. I have my graft union submerged? I havent seen new growth as of yet, but I havent seen any decline either?

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

PJ, You definitely don't want it planted below the graft. The soil should just cover the top of the roots.

• fruit_guy
    12 years ago

Jay, plants are looking very good!

Ethan I have a couple of durian seeds from PR that sprouted. Maybe I'll be brave enough to try and graft them this year.

pj1881 you definitely don't want the graft union to be underground.

• amrkhalido
    12 years ago

Jay ,, its amazing how you managed to keep them in such great condition ,, i ordered 3 trees from him ,, and although it only took 2 days in transit ,, they are suffering a lot ,,, the jackfruit began sprouting from below the graft ,, and the lychee leaves are super dry ,, and the maha chanook leaves dropped with a few dry leaves left ,,, :@

I dont knw where the problem is ,, its certainly ME ,,

Amr

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

looking great Jay! branching out so perfectly too

Tim

• franktank232
    12 years ago

Looking good jay. I'll take a case of mangoes and another case of durian when everything is ripe :) :) :)

Not sure what the weather has been like in Ohio, but over here in Wisconsin I give it a solid FAIL. What a turd spring has been this year (vs last year). Rain and 51F right now...yippee!

• pj1881
    12 years ago

Thanks again for all the info! I went home during my lunch break and removed TWO INCHES of gritty mix to expose the entire graft union. I also removed the remaining grafting "tape" that was in place. The "tape" consisted of heavy gauge clear plastic wrapped about eight times then covered with what looked like a polka dotted piece of REALLY heavy plastic showercap wrapped so tightly that it wasnt allowing the nutrients to return to the roots.. It looked like a mushroom!
    In short, if I hadnt dug up the union I dont think the tree could have fought the "tape"!

• sleep
    12 years ago

Jay, that terminal brach on your Maha looks to be in a perfect state for grafting. If you pug it, send me the Scion :)

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all.

Amr...did you keep your plants under plastic so the humidity would be very very high for the plants? They should be under plastic for at least two weeks. That is the #1 reason for losing bare root plants. It takes a long while before the plant's roots can start taking up moisture and nutrients. So the leaves will be the only pathway and high humidity allows the plant to take in needed moisture.

Does the soil mix drain really fast? Don't over water and actually resist watering until you're very sure the container needs it. Too much sun? Losing some, or even all the leaves, will happen. Keeping the humidity up high will help the plant recover faster.

Unfortunately...in most circumstances, we are to blame for the loss of a bare root plant. I did all of the above correctly and still lost one durian. Bare root is a bear and requires your best efforts. Don't give up on them just yet. Good luck!

As for the jackfruit sprouting below the graft? I would snip that off...leaving nothing growing beneath the graft.

PJ...WTH dude? If that plant had a neck, sounds like that is where you buried it up to!! LOL!

• pj1881
    12 years ago

Jay
    No kidding.. The graft was so severely wrapped that I couldnt tell where the split was. The actual union is longer than the one on yours, but the rootball was forced upward so it was hard to accomplish..

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pics buddy, pics!

The way they graft is definitely odd and if it weren't for Harry, I would have panicked more.

• pj1881
    12 years ago

{{gwi:1316278}}

• pj1881
    12 years ago

Alright.. The second picture is the Maha from Excalibur, I live ten minutes away from them... Its about five feet tall, planted it out a month ago.

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Homer...can't see the graft site!!

• pj1881
    12 years ago

Sorry about that Jay!

How about this..

{{gwi:1316280}}{{gwi:1316282}}

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'd make darn sure that the soil is no higher than where the roots come out from the trunk. If the root mass seems "pushed" up higher, then push them back down. I would want that dirt as far from the graft site as possible for now.

• pj1881
    12 years ago

I can fit a pencil under the connection, I assume that would be okay? And I did force the roots down to get that far. Do you think the lower scion will root?

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I put rooting hormone on mine trying to see if it will root. If not, Harry said it would just rot off.

• pj1881
    12 years ago

Those Durian are looking pretty good! Those are all new leaves huh? Do you use some sort of Humidifier?

• amrkhalido
    12 years ago

Thanks Jay ,,
    Of course i didnt put a bag ,, too much effort ,, lol
    But its too hot outside maybe 100 degrees soo i though i would just leave them and mist them every day twice or so to create humidity ,,
    I think i did wrong with that ,, and now i have 7 dead trees due to me being lazy :@

Amr

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Amr...We've all made stupid mistakes and can only hope to learn from them. I killed many bare root plants when I started.

Nothing I say is going to make your situation any better...so I'll "try" not to say anything that will make you feel worse!!

But...always a but eh? Hopefully, the guy put an instruction sheet inside the box with the plants. It would have been with the copy of the phytosanitary permit. The directions clearly state what you should do with the plants. If there were not instructions, there was plenty of discussion concerning this in the posts when I received my first shipment.

Even if it is hot out, a nice shady spot could be found or even brought indoors as a last resort. Even though the plants are covered, there must be some air exchange inside for the plants. You could also set up some sort of mist system with a timer to run every few minutes. This would be kind of a pain for the next few weeks though.

Unless your local humidity is pushing 90-100% throughout the day, misting only twice a day is not going to help much. You might talk with the guy and see if he will replace the trees for free or at a reduced rate. You will still have to pay shipping again regardless.

PJ...yes...that is all new growth starting on the durians. I kept the plants under plastic for about 4 weeks. Once I got my fogger hooked back up and I can regulate the humidity in the greenhouse, I removed the plastic cover. Always err on the side of caution and keep the plants under plastic longer than suggested...or at least in a location where humidity is very high. Like Florida!

• amrkhalido
    12 years ago

yes Jay ,, i hate the BUT ,, as there was a paper inside lol ,,
    anyway i will try with him and i will see what is gonna be ,, and i will try to order another set of trees to try with them carefully this time ,,,

Amr

• pj1881
    12 years ago

Does my graft union look like its separating? My tree still looks healthy, and the cracks dont open when the tree moves?? I just removed the plastic wrap yesterday, and it was shipped thirty days ago. I assume he had it connected for a couple weeks prior to shipping?? Is there something I should do??

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wrap it real good with some grafting tape if you are concerned.

• pj1881
    12 years ago

Could it just be slight surface cracking? If you look at my pics from yesterday, you can faintly see the same cracks.. I was worried about wrapping it and getting moisture inside the wrap causing rot, not to mention worsening the strangulation that you see above the union?

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Grafting tape will cause none of that.

• pj1881
    12 years ago

I used a grafting band wrapped tight, now to watch for decline if any! Thanks Jay!

• pj1881
    12 years ago

• pj1881
    12 years ago

Just when I thought this thing would never show growth!

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sweet!!

• pj1881
    12 years ago

Thanks for all your help Jay!

• mangodog
    12 years ago

pj - such a good feeling, isn't it!!!!!!!!!

Dr.ManDOG

• pj1881
    12 years ago

Yeah, I thought for sure that it would die..

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor