Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avocado tree: small bud-looking avocados disappearing from tree?

Posted by roobix (My Page) on
Mon, May 23, 11 at 20:27

Firstly, I want to apologize for posting this question first in the fruits/orchard section.. I didn't know avocados were tropical until a just googled...so here is my question again in the right place (I hope):

Does anyone know why the avocados on my tree are disappearing?

they look like half of an avocado that's trying to form. They're green and have been slowly disappearing from my plant..

Actually, the last one disappeared this morning when I went to look

Thanks for any help!

I bought this tree from costco about 2 months ago..it's about 4 feet tall and is a Haas avocado tree

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avocado tree: small bud-looking avocados disappearing from tr

I've not heard of or seen the condition you describe. Did you take any pictures of the situation that you could post here? Its always helpful to actually see the issue and then to try to analyze these problems. Here in Florida, we rarely grow Haas.....perhaps some folks out west have heard of or experienced this problem.

Harry

o

Either squirrels or-,most likely at that size- the tree aborted the small fruits. Avocado's from my experience wont hold fruit until the are at least 6-8' tall. Grafting makes them bloom very young..and every single flower will fall off and any fruit that do get to some size also.
The tree's seem to know that they need to have some branch diameter and roots and enough foliage to support the heavy fruits.

o

Sorry Harry, I have no pictures

and Thanks stanofh, that's a very logical explanation!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here