Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

First mangoes of the 2011 season and lychee update

hmhausman
12 years ago

Strangely, today multiple mangoes colored up seemingly over night and some even fell off the tree. Perhaps I am not looking closely enough. Its two Cogshalls at the top and a Jean Ellen at the bottom.

From May 7, 2011

And I also found a small Glenn on the ground today.
From May 7, 2011
Early Large Red Lychee
From May 7, 2011

Hak Ip Lychee

From May 7, 2011

Mauritius Lychee

From May 7, 2011

Won't be long now for lychees. Unfortunately, we had quite a bit of rain this week and the mangoes were a bit washed out in flavor. I deceided to dehydrate them all as that will concentrate the flavors and make them much more enjoyable. I have virtually nothing good to say about the Jean Ellen. Mediocre tasting is being kind, with some moderate fiber near the seed and very adherent skin. I'll give it a few more chances, but it is in severe jeopardy.

Harry

Comments (15)

• sleep
    12 years ago

Those lychee's look great Harry!

Surprised you're already seeing Cogshalls ripening. I'm also glad I never planted a Jean Ellen...

• mangodog
    12 years ago

WOW....and we're still 3 months away from any mango tasting. But sorry, Harry, the Jean Ellen were so mediocre........loved the way the Cogshall and Glenn colored up - let us know how that taste test goees...

mangorintintin

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Looking great Harry. You're Lychees are WAY ahead of mine. The handful of fruit that are on my trees are still about the size of a dime. Can't wait to head down there again.

• squam256
    12 years ago

That about does it for Jean Ellen for me. Won't be planting that one.

And Fairchild describes it as being in the 'Alphonso class' in terms of flavor. lol.

• newgen
    12 years ago

Wow I'm jealous, congrats!!!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Wow...those looks absolutely delicious Harry! I wish I lived closer!

Its amazing how different the two Cogshall look from each other unless its the angle of the photo...one looks short and wide and the other looks long almost like Valencia pride.

Those lychees looks fantastic!! We got over an inch of rain on Friday too...I hope it doesn't have a bad affect on the the flavor of the mangoes.

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

here is my sweetheart, I tried one that was more red then the others, it was clean, dry, great sweet and acid balance with no detectable aftertaste and an aborted chicken tongue seed. all around excellent

I give them another week before being perfectly ripe. I plan to do at least 6 air layers after harvest so stay tuned

only thing close to giving me mangos is Rosigold, which are almost there

• adiel
    12 years ago

Harry, nice mangos.

Adiel

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

NICE sweetheart lychee tree MK...keep a real close eye out for those "tree rats"! They're just about the right time you really need to watch over them from those pesky pain in the you know what. Enjoy them!

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nancy: I don't have an issue with squirrels and lychees. I have to fight birds, possums and raccoons though.

Bryan: Your sweetheart lychees look exactly like my Hak Ip lychees. I think we need to do some close comparisons. My Sweethearts look very different....and not in a good way. I'd be most interested in you bringing some by when they are fully mature and lets put them to a test as agianst what I'm growing. Your description of the flavor seems to belie the visual similarities. I am considerably perplexed.

Harry

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

amazing pics harry
    mk- was wondering what the hell type of leaves u had going on there before i realized the leaves have been eaten away- do you know whats been nobbling at your leaves. the lychees look great.

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

One issue with the hak ip / sweetheart is that I think some nurseries sell the hak ip as the sweetheart. Some nurserymen that I've talked to can't find any difference between the two. In my albeit limited observations, the sweet heart seems to be less vigorous than the hak ip.

Jeff

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Harry,lol...I was going to say its great you don't have to worry about squirrels...but after seeing your list of other varmints I changed my mind...I'm sure I have most of them here too :o(

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The second batch of a scattering of ripe mangoes this early season was just consumed at my office. We had rather slim pickings as the main season is still a couple of weeks away. We had a tiny, tiny Maha Chanook, another Jean Ellen and 3 Cogshalls at varying stages of ripeness. Cogshall this year seems to be ripening somewhat unevenly and is getting anthracnose black spots on the more ripend sections of each mango eventhough there is still part of the mango that is firm and to the green side on the part of the mango away from the sun. I must say that the Jean Ellen was better than the first one I had. It had a touch of that intense Indian mango vibe that I envision coming along with Alphonso and the like. It is still not one I would have planted if I had tasted it first....but I haven't closed the book on it entirely as of yet. The Maha Chanook was so small that it was a mere tease. They are usually fairly uniform in size, but this oe, for some reason colored up on the tree way ahead of all the others. In anycase, it rounded out the platter nicely.

Harry