Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohiojay

Serious durian eater

ohiojay
12 years ago

A common theme while traveling Thailand with Warren... stopping at nearly every durian stall on the side of the road. Out ma, pa, and Warren would jump. Ma would do the negotiating while the "thumper" and cutter would try to convince Warren the fruit being thumped was the choice.

We are at a huge fruit farm having lunch and many desserts. Here's me getting ready chomp on a bit of Chanee durian.

Durian Boy living up to his budding reputation.

Krajib durian. Crazy expensive. Notice how small this one is! Normally the fruit is much bigger.

Garcinia cowa...sour fruit. Leaves are used in soups and such. We had lunch the next day and had a soup that had the leaves. Really good.

Durian is not just for eating!

This lady knew durian like no other. She cut open the fruit with bare hands. I believe ma is negotiating for a kanyeow.

You can't see it...but Warren's right foot is thumping up and down on the floor like when you scratch a dog's belly.

She was thumping the hell out of several durian, but Warren did not approve of the flesh...and passed!! I nearly fainted.

He scores!

Now here's the shot I've been looking for. If it is not apparent the boy loves durian...I don't know what is!

Comments (14)

• dnt72800
    12 years ago

Ohiojay
    hahaha. You are hilarious in your posts.
    Thanks for the pix.

• mullenium
    12 years ago

What is thumping durian? Testing it like melons via sound or what?

Looks like a good time, I onoticed all the mangosteen, yummmmmm

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

I think by now Warren has graduated to durian man. Nice photos, amazing looking trip, no sister in law this time?

any maprang or langsat?
    -Ethan

• happyday
    12 years ago

Great pics, looks like a wonderful trip! Lucky you to have relatives in Thailand!

I didn't know you could thump them. I looked for filled cells and color and smell. Out of 13, at least one has a really interesting taste, more than just sweet, and it was still slightly green between the thorns. So maybe it was a bit of a throwback to it's less domesticated mornthing ancestors.

I've read that durian can be grown in Puerto Rico and Queensland Australia, but maybe it's only the mornthings there too.

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Some folks believe they can recognize a ripe durian by thumping. Science or science fiction? I don't know. They will then cut a small triangle out of the rind and allow you to feel the flesh. That is how the buyer judges the fruit he wants. Then they just replace the triangle.

There is very good durianin PR...Thai varieties as well as others I know nothing about.

• fruit_guy
    12 years ago

Nice pics (and memories) Jay!

Thank you Ethan, I appreciate the upgrade. There were plenty of Longkong (langsat) but the maprang season occurs earlier in the Spring. If I recall correctly, they are done by April and we didn't get there until mid-May.

I was sent an email the day before yesterday with a picture of a plate of locally grown maprang. The fruit was grown by a woman in North Miami Beach that has finally fruited her maprang after 16 years! I sure hope my grafted plant produces quicker. It did flower this year, but alas, no fruit. Problem is that the damn thing only puts out about 4 flushes a year. Must think it is a mangosteen!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

LMAO...LOVE those pictures! Its a shame that Warren doesn't like Durian with it being so plentiful there! Ha, ha!

Thanks for the great pictures! Enjoy you guys!!

• murahilin
    12 years ago

Fruitguy,
    What variety of maprang do you have? How long have you had it? Is it in the ground?

• marinfla
    12 years ago

I love the Great pics!
    I have never tried durian but from all the commentary on how bad it smells I think I am going to leave it alone :)

• ohiojay
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You've got to really take in the comments concerning the smell. It really is not an issue when dealing with good, ripe fruit. Otherwise, there is no way in hell that huge shopping mall would allow a durian festival to take place inside.

The smell only comes into play with seriously over ripe fruit, cut up fruit pieces discarded to bake in the sun, or fruit in a baggie kicked beneath an SUV seat.

While attending all the festivals, dropping by durian stalls, or cutting up a fruit at the house, I don't recall any strong smell at all. The few times where the odor was noticeable, taste and smell are worlds apart.

This fruit is not like picking up a mangosteen or lychee. As Warren mentioned, I don't believe this is a fruit most people taste for the first time and the "wow" meter jumps off the gauge. It is more of an acquired taste...one that you have to ease into gently. It does grow on you and you soon find that you must try one everywhere you go. I'm not near Warren's level yet, but it is lots of fun to have everyone stare at you when you take a bite.

• rayandgwenn
    12 years ago

Very funny!

• fruit_guy
    12 years ago

murahilin, I brought the tree in from Thailand in 2008. It is grafted and it was labeled "sweet". It has been in the ground for about 1 year now.

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

i tried 2 durian in PR. The first one was seriously vile and the second one was just vile (probably on account of me getting flesh from the edge of the piece and thus not getting the full experience and bouquet that comes with a piece right from the middle.
    i'd extremely gingerly try a piece again but im expecting to find it equally repulsive. im truly puzzeled by warren's obsession.
    now lychees on the other hand, the season is only 8-9 days old and i have already downed about 30 punds and 20 pounds has been downed by my fam.

• happyday
    12 years ago

The few times where the odor was noticeable, taste and smell are worlds apart.

Does that mean that the stinky ones are also delicious?

I think the bad strong smell comes with fermentation in the sun, in hot humid places with no refrigeration, too. But I've only had frozen mornthong, probably picked before fully ripe. So far.