Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantlover13

Repost + modifications of Help picking Plants (no reply on other)

plantlover13
10 years ago

Sorry if IâÂÂm not supposed to do this, but I made my original post over a week ago and I havenâÂÂt received a reply yet, I am r posting it (with some modifications). Again, apologies if that is not allowed.

At this point this is my second post here, but I've been lurking for a while :) I am looking into buying some tropical trees to grow here, maybe. I don't know if I will, but I am considering it and rolling the thought around in my head, and knowing me, probably will within the next couple of months.. However, there is a catch. Strictly container only. I live in long island, not exactly tropical paradise. So i need help picking out some cultivars.

First; mango.

I am looking into growing a condo mango here. I am looking into buying this from Pine island nursery; I have heard good reviews about them. I am debating between Pickering and Nam Doc Mai. Which do you think is better and why? Also, how does the Mallika Mango do in pots? PIN has it listed as a condo mango. How tall does it get? From my understanding, the NDM and Pickering grow rather small, which is why I am considering them. I haven't found any information about the height of the Mallika, though, just that it is a "dooryard tree." Other suggestions welcome :)

Second; carambola (starfruit)

Of the varieties they (PIN) offer, which is the best? Also, I can only grow ONE, so self-pollination is a MUST. On their website, they have the following varieties listed:
Varieties: Arkin, Fwang Tung, Kari, Sri Kembangan

Third; lychee

I was just wondering whether it would be practical to grow a lychee in a container. If they do grow well (or at least will produce fruit), then which variety should I get? Taste is more important to me than yield. I have heard good things about Mauritius, Brewster, and Kaimana. Other suggestions are always welcomeïÂÂ. PIN has the following varieties on their website:

'Bengal' 'Brewster' 'Early Large Red' 'Emperor'

'Hak Ip ' 'Kaimana' 'Kwai Mai Pink' 'Mauritius'

'No Mai Tsze' 'Ohia' 'Sweet Cliff' 'Sweet Heart'â¢

And of course, if you have suggestions for any other tropical those grow well in containers, I am always open to suggestions. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pine Island Nursery

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner