Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mango Newbie question

Posted by vanman23 6b/7a - OK (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 14 at 21:48

I've had this Nam Doc Mai in a large pot for about 5 months. It has new growth right now, but it also has these buds? Are these going to be fruit spikes? They don't look like the leaf buds. The question I dread asking is if these are fruit spikes and they set fruit should I take them off and wait another year or not?

What about fertilizer? I just added osmocote pro. Should I use foliage pro as well.

Its in full sun right now and the hottest it's been is about 90. I'll probably shade some if its above 95. It seems to like the sun, unlike the longans and lychees.

Any advise is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mango Newbie question

Leave one spike in each branch if you cant remove them. If it is strong it will set 1 or 2 fruits. My mango is under 50C heat and it has no problem. My figs are suffering a little but not the mango. Until you see dry leaves, do not shade. Let it get used to the heat a bit and if it is weak shade it. By now i guess they have extended quite a bit these flowers ;)

o
RE: Mango Newbie question

Yup!! Those are blooms...If it were my tree I wouldn't let them fruit at such a small/young tree... I would let it go through the blooming stage and once the fruits are around blueberries size I would remove the whole flower stalk...but more than likely those small fruitlets will probably just abort themselves. The tree usually knows its own limits and won't hold fruits...but ultimately its your decision. No one can blame you for wanting to see a couple of fruits on your tree. been there done that,lol...

The down side is you sacrifice new growths and stronger roots and fuller canopy since fruiting a tree this young takes a lot of energy from the tree...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here