Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nisperolover

what kind and quantity of fertilizer for a sapodilla in a pot.

nisperolover
9 years ago

Hello everybody!!I've got a sapodilla tree in a pot, it's height is about 2.5meters and it has flowers,but most of them fall before they become fruits.So i'd appreciate somebody of you,tell me what kind and quantity of fertilizer should I use on my sapodilla tree in a pot?
Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Comments (6)

• gnappi
    9 years ago

I have two Makok sapodillas I wanted to try keeping in a pot... neither liked it, and like yours they dropped flowers. I put them in the ground and they started blooming and keeping fruit the next season.

So for my efforts I lost a growth season, and a fruit season.

If you have to keep them in a pot I would give them a large one. Also while mine will not mind a dry spell they certainly don't mind watering when the soil drys out.

The bigger of my trees is smaller than 6' (2 meters) and is full of large fruit.

BTW... I L-O-V-E sapodilla / nispero !!!

PS I use a fertilizer formulated by a local nursery specifically for tropical fruit trees. Dunno the ingredients.

• greenman62
    9 years ago

i remember someone telling me sapodilla does not grow in containers.

I know with most trees in that family,, the tap root is fairly long, and if it hits the bottom of the container, it will start to curl, and you can never plant it out at that point.

im no expert on the matter, just an FYI
    my understanding is it also needs lots of sun to fruit.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://botanicalgrowersnetwork.net/znetsol/1-ProductPages/T1g/MAI-ZAP/pop.htm

• nisperolover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank u so much for your responses,I think i'll be forced to plant the sapodilla in the soil in order to eat fruits,and i've had already and i think these are the most delicious fruits ever!!!

• gnappi
    9 years ago

" i think these are the most delicious fruits ever!!!"

Say that in some circles and the mango folks may tar and feather you... but I agree with you totally! :-)

Do you know the cultivar of the one you have? What zone are you in?

Also my oldest Sapodilla (6 foot tall) is in the shadow of a large avocado until the sun gets high in the sky in the summer and it does really good for a small tree. It has fruit on it most of the time now.

• nisperolover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Gnappy,I dont know the cultivar of the one i own!and i'm in Honduras Central america!!!!

• Sub_Tropic
    9 years ago

I was wondering if someone could please help me figure out why my sapodilla is doing this with its leaves. I have no idea what it could be. The older, lower leaves are droopy, and some of the leaves are showing a sort of rusting or brown spotting...any advice? Its slowly, but steadily developing on some old leaves and some new leaves. Anybody out there think they can help me save it?

My family grows this fruit in Miami and I love it so much I decided to give it a shot in Davis CA. It reminds me so much of home! With the right microclimate, I hear this coldy hardy subtropical is quite happy in humid and arid environments alike!

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider