Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calik8

chrimoya

calik8
12 years ago

I have some new growth, it's waking up. But it seems to have lots of buds, but very few leaves. should I worry?

(I put this on the fruits forum, but got no response)

Comments (20)

• rodneys
    12 years ago

No worries. You'll have leaves/flowers sprouting all over in a short amount of time.

• calik8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How do I "train" it? It's in a BIG pot, so it's already almost too tall to reach.

• marinfla
    12 years ago

Simon, I have 6 seedlings I germinated back in October. Should I pinch off the tops to encourage branching? I knew to do this with my avocado seedling as I knew the growth habit I don't know much about cherimoya seedlings. The are about triple the size in height since this pic was taken.
    Thanks for your advice about cherimoyas!

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Hey marinfla, I would definitely top your cherimoya tree leaving three or four nodes or leaves on each side of the tree. Sometimes not all the internodes will sprout a branch so that is why I would leave so many on each side. I use wire to form and shape the branches. I tie the branches so that the lowest two or three branches on each side are almost parallel to the ground.

It really depends on how you want the final shape of your tree to look like but I would definitely try to keep all main branches and their laterals within arms reach.

• milque_toast
    12 years ago

My 2 cents:

1 I'd put those seedlings in deep(15"-18") pots. Cherimoyas have tap root( important on early stages of development to keep all the roots).
    2. wait till the main trunk is about 5/8" in diameter and then follow simon_grow's advice.

good luck,
    Jeff

• marinfla
    12 years ago

Thanks Simon and Jeff
    I am going to follow the good advice and let you know how it goes! Thanks again Marin

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Simon, I'd love to see a picture of your trained tree. I have an atemoya that I am starting to shape this year - it's mostly just a stick right now. I haven't found a lot of information on what kind of shape is desirable for them. Just vague comments on keeping them small. I saw some indication that a modified central leader was the right shape to aim for, but haven't seen any pictures of a well trained specimen. I wonder how similar the shape of the cherimoya and atemoya is?

• charleslou23
    12 years ago

is cherimoya related to sugar apple?

• rodneys
    12 years ago

Yes

Sugar apple (Annona squamosa)
    Cherimoya (Annona cherimola)

• steve_in_los_osos
    12 years ago

Here's a good description of the training/pruning process for a cherimoya:

http://cherimoya.orconhosting.net.nz/pages/tree_howprune.html

The actual starting height for topping the initial whip should be up to you, based on whether it's growing in a container or the ground, your needs, etc., but the rest of the ideas are general enough to apply to all.

• calik8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You were right! Lot's o'leaves popping out!
    http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/KathyHarden/pic002.jpg

• calik8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oops
    {{gwi:1316613}}

• rodneys
    12 years ago

Nice!

Remember to keep your tree within arm's reach. It simplifies hand-pollination.

BTW, which variety is your tree?

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Thanks for the page on training Steve! I hadn't seen this one before. Very helpful to see specific measurements. I added it to my bookmarks and will be heading out to measure my tree=)

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Steve,

here are my pierce and booth chirimoya they are about 8' tall after pruning. they are blooming big time. This is their second year in the ground and I expect a good crop but in the first two years I've only harvest 8 fruits. Don't forget to hand pollinate. I'm very lazy about this but this year I'm going to make a real effort. I was told that I live in a chirimoya belt so I don't have to hand pollinate.

JF

• calik8
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The tag says Cherimoya Chaffee. Is that a type? And I lost mu bookmark on hand pollination, is there a link?

• rodneys
    12 years ago

Chaffee is 1 variety of cherimoya

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherimoya hand - pollination

• James-hoon
    12 years ago

My starting to show new shoots too. Btw mine is about 4 feet tall only stick with no branches and I just planted this early spring, should I prune it down? Mine is Dr. White, is this verity any good?

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Hello Milque toast, just wondering why you recommend waiting until the main trunk is 5/8 inch before topping? I'm still trying to learn all I can.

I used to have a beautiful cherimoya tree that I did not train properly and it was very difficult to hand pollinate. The tree has since died and I have moved into my first house and I only have two small grafted Cherimoyas and several varieties of seedlings. I've just started to train one of my Cherimoyas and I will post pics when I get a chance.

The training technique I described above was learned from an old man with the most beautiful perfectly shaped tree. His tree had a very very thick trunk and was no taller than about 6 feet and was about 12 feet wide. His fruit were perfect but the tree was just unbelievably beautiful. He had two trees and they were both shaped perfectly.

Jeff, what a beautiful tree you have. I can't wait until my tree gets some size on it. Both my grafted Cherimoyas have flowers on them but I'm not going to hand pollinate because I want the tree to establish its roots and grow stronger.

James-hoon, your tree sounds like its very similar to mine. I just topped it and started to train the new branches that are coming out of the internodes. Mine is also a Dr White, one of my favorite varieties. Some people think Dr White is too sweet but I love sweet fruit.
    Simon