Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rodneys

How would you rate these bananas?

rodneys
12 years ago

Posted this thread on the Banana forum with no replies yet-

I'm looking to purchase these bananas. Which do you prefer?

-Dwarf Red

-Misi Luki

-Manzano

Thanks for the help!

Comments (16)

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Rodney,

Setup an account over at bananas.org. The forums over there are more active. Will talk to you soon.

• mullenium
    12 years ago

Isn't misi and manzano very similar? I think misi has the slight edge tho, wouldn't even consider dwarf red.

Look into rajapuri, seem to be the best for zone 9 imo

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Dwarf Jamaican red is an excellent banana, red skinned/orangish flesh wonderful flavor. It is cold sensitive though but maybe in your area Rodney you could get away with it? Misi luki is a big banana plant, I dont grow manzano so I can't comment. IMO, dwarf namwah is the way to go and this is why, most homegrown bananas are going to be as good or better than you get in the store. A majority of banana plants, even the dwarf ones are still big plants and need staking when they have fruit. Dwarf namwah is very short when it blooms and has a pseudostem like a sequoia, no staking required plus no ladder to harvest. The bananas are smallish (10"?) with and orange tinge to the flesh near the core and a nice sweet tropical banana with a hint of green apple taste.

just my $.02
    -Ethan

• rodneys
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info, mullenium & Ethan

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

theyre all excellent flavored, cuban red and manzano both have a fruity flavor, manzano is probably better but is not recommended here because of fungus, dwarf red is such a beautiful specimen. i grow both. dwarf namwah and misi luki are very similar, in fact sometimes places misname them. they tend to have a more creamy sweet flavor then fruity sub-acid like manzano and red.

where are you ordering from? beware there are cheap places on the internet that will send you weak little suckers that may take a season just to establish roots. going bananas always has the best stock and sell you full sized corms/plants.

• rodneys
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was thinking of Wellsprings or Florida Hill nursery on Ebay.

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

I can give you p-stems of D. namwah, Jamaican red, Misi luki and a few others, if you come up....bring a truck.

-Ethan

• mullenium
    12 years ago

i bought 2 raja's from stokes and they drop shipped me 2 weak suckers from florida (stokes is located in Louisana)

i woulda ordered from going bananas but their ordering system sucks, you cant order online.. have to mail in that form.. im too lazy for that

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

I love Manzanos I like to buy a sucker from anyone who has them in SoCal?

• Eggo
    12 years ago

rodney, I have dwarf namwah if interested.

• James-hoon
    12 years ago

Eggo, dwraf nam wah? How tall is this banana before it get fruit? I have regular namwah but never heard of any dwraf before.

• Eggo
    12 years ago

James, it fruits at about 7-8 feet.

• James-hoon
    12 years ago

That is a perfect size for banana fruiting. I have may be regular nam wah that fruit at about 10 feet tall and pretty hard for me to support it's trunk when the fruit get bigger. If I'm interested in your dwraf namwah what do we do? Where are you in California?

• James-hoon
    12 years ago

Red see me, if you still have some sucker from your banana especially dwarf namwah I would like to buy some from you. I have a banana bed about 5 sq feet and now only have 4 namwah from 5 feet down to 6 inches.

• Eggo
    12 years ago

james, i'm in the o.c./l.a. area. feel free to pick up some if you are in the area. Unfortunately, I will not be shipping anything if you are not. Contact me offline if you are interested.

• James-hoon
    12 years ago

Eggo, thanks for offering. I have to travel to OC santa ana all the time. Where are you located. You can email me at Hoonnirun@hotmail.com

Sponsored
WellCraft Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars61 Reviews
Virginia’s Full Service Design-Build Remodeling Company