Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How would you rate these bananas?

Posted by RodneyJS Cerritos, CA (My Page) on
Tue, May 24, 11 at 22:33

Posted this thread on the Banana forum with no replies yet-

I'm looking to purchase these bananas. Which do you prefer?
-Dwarf Red
-Misi Luki
-Manzano

Thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How would you rate these bananas?

Rodney,

Setup an account over at bananas.org. The forums over there are more active. Will talk to you soon.

o

Isn't misi and manzano very similar? I think misi has the slight edge tho, wouldn't even consider dwarf red.

Look into rajapuri, seem to be the best for zone 9 imo

o

Dwarf Jamaican red is an excellent banana, red skinned/orangish flesh wonderful flavor. It is cold sensitive though but maybe in your area Rodney you could get away with it? Misi luki is a big banana plant, I dont grow manzano so I can't comment. IMO, dwarf namwah is the way to go and this is why, most homegrown bananas are going to be as good or better than you get in the store. A majority of banana plants, even the dwarf ones are still big plants and need staking when they have fruit. Dwarf namwah is very short when it blooms and has a pseudostem like a sequoia, no staking required plus no ladder to harvest. The bananas are smallish (10"?) with and orange tinge to the flesh near the core and a nice sweet tropical banana with a hint of green apple taste.

just my $.02
-Ethan

o

Thanks for the info, mullenium & Ethan

o

theyre all excellent flavored, cuban red and manzano both have a fruity flavor, manzano is probably better but is not recommended here because of fungus, dwarf red is such a beautiful specimen. i grow both. dwarf namwah and misi luki are very similar, in fact sometimes places misname them. they tend to have a more creamy sweet flavor then fruity sub-acid like manzano and red.

where are you ordering from? beware there are cheap places on the internet that will send you weak little suckers that may take a season just to establish roots. going bananas always has the best stock and sell you full sized corms/plants.

o

I was thinking of Wellsprings or Florida Hill nursery on Ebay.

o

I can give you p-stems of D. namwah, Jamaican red, Misi luki and a few others, if you come up....bring a truck.

-Ethan

o

i bought 2 raja's from stokes and they drop shipped me 2 weak suckers from florida (stokes is located in Louisana)

i woulda ordered from going bananas but their ordering system sucks, you cant order online.. have to mail in that form.. im too lazy for that

o

I love Manzanos I like to buy a sucker from anyone who has them in SoCal?

o

• Posted by eggo z10soCal LBC (My Page) on
    Fri, May 27, 11 at 2:46

rodney, I have dwarf namwah if interested.

o

Eggo, dwraf nam wah? How tall is this banana before it get fruit? I have regular namwah but never heard of any dwraf before.

o

Sat, May 28, 11 at 16:29

James, it fruits at about 7-8 feet.

o

That is a perfect size for banana fruiting. I have may be regular nam wah that fruit at about 10 feet tall and pretty hard for me to support it's trunk when the fruit get bigger. If I'm interested in your dwraf namwah what do we do? Where are you in California?

o

Red see me, if you still have some sucker from your banana especially dwarf namwah I would like to buy some from you. I have a banana bed about 5 sq feet and now only have 4 namwah from 5 feet down to 6 inches.

o

Tue, May 31, 11 at 21:23

james, i'm in the o.c./l.a. area. feel free to pick up some if you are in the area. Unfortunately, I will not be shipping anything if you are not. Contact me offline if you are interested.

o

Eggo, thanks for offering. I have to travel to OC santa ana all the time. Where are you located. You can email me at Hoonnirun@hotmail.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here