Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangnificent

New Poster - Lots of Mango Questions

mangnificent
12 years ago

Hey All -

I've been frequenting this forum for months learning from all of you. My folks have a home in Marco Island, FL and I get to spend a few weeks a year here. Home for me is in VA but I dream of sunny florida all the time. I caught the tropical fruit tree obsession big time.

So far I have a Valencia Pride, Nam Doc Mai, and a Glenn planted, in addition to 2 avocados, a papaya, a banana, and a 6 citrus varieties. It has been about 8 months and nothing has really grown much. We havent fertilized and I'm wondering if that might be the problem?

I'm also eager to experiment with grafting. I bought a grafting kit and have a few seedlings started, but not sure if I can get budwood right now? Anyone else live on Marco that might be able to help get me started?

I also am planning to purchase about 2 or 3 more mango varieties. I'm thinking about Pickering, Choc-Anon (does it really bear fruit in the winter?), Golden Nugget, and of course the Tebow/Young that no one has ever tried! Unfortunately, the yard is nearly full so most of these will have to go in containers. Any suggestions between those? I bought the others from ECHO nursery in fort myers. Anyone else know of good spots in SW florida? I know that all of the best nurseries are in Homestead but not sure I can make the drive this week.

Anyway - it is good to be part of the forum with a bunch of other fanatics like myself.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm