Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Poster - Lots of Mango Questions

Posted by mangnificent FL (My Page) on
Mon, May 23, 11 at 23:03

Hey All -

I've been frequenting this forum for months learning from all of you. My folks have a home in Marco Island, FL and I get to spend a few weeks a year here. Home for me is in VA but I dream of sunny florida all the time. I caught the tropical fruit tree obsession big time.

So far I have a Valencia Pride, Nam Doc Mai, and a Glenn planted, in addition to 2 avocados, a papaya, a banana, and a 6 citrus varieties. It has been about 8 months and nothing has really grown much. We havent fertilized and I'm wondering if that might be the problem?

I'm also eager to experiment with grafting. I bought a grafting kit and have a few seedlings started, but not sure if I can get budwood right now? Anyone else live on Marco that might be able to help get me started?

I also am planning to purchase about 2 or 3 more mango varieties. I'm thinking about Pickering, Choc-Anon (does it really bear fruit in the winter?), Golden Nugget, and of course the Tebow/Young that no one has ever tried! Unfortunately, the yard is nearly full so most of these will have to go in containers. Any suggestions between those? I bought the others from ECHO nursery in fort myers. Anyone else know of good spots in SW florida? I know that all of the best nurseries are in Homestead but not sure I can make the drive this week.

Anyway - it is good to be part of the forum with a bunch of other fanatics like myself.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Poster - Lots of Mango Questions

Welcome to the forums, my name is Adiel and yours? Nice variety of trees, my favorite of those 3 is Glenn. Valencia pride is a big tree, make sure you start a prunning plan (as soon as you pick the last fruit, you can prune yearly) if you want to keep your trees at a controlled size. The reason for not too much growth is because we were in the dormant season. Now that we will start getting some rain, you will see more growth. I am not sure if I understood you correctly, but if you said that the trees have been planted for 8 months, then you can start a fertilizer plan. For mangos, all you need is potassium (0-0-50) and minor element foliar spray. Also you might want to spray them with copper if you see black spots(anthracnose) on the panicles where the fruit develop. As far as budwood, you should check with your local rare fruit council club. There are lots of nice folks willing to give you budwood in those clubs. Also consider varieties such as Dot and Cushman for flavor.

I found a club by your area. It is called the Collier Fruit Growers:

http://collierfruit.org/

Adiel

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here