Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan

Monstera Fruit Question

bananafan
10 years ago

I've heard that the fruit of Monstera is edible. I don't know which kind though. I have a lot of Monstera growing in my yard and many of them are fruiting now. I've read some where that it's also known as cheese plant, but there are so many varieties, so not sure here. Here's a picture of the one I have in my yard. Any one knows anything about the kind of Monstera this is? Has any one tasted the fruit of Monstera if it's indeed edible?

Comments (4)

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

There's near 50 species of Monstera, the most commonly cultivared one being M. deliciosa. And that's the one with the fruit that's eaten. The "Swiss Cheese Plant" name comes from the holes in the leaves. Also called Fruit Salad Plant because the fruit tastes like fruit salad.

The fruit starts to ripen at one end and slowly proceeds to the other end. So you can't eat it at once but have to eat it progressively and keep putting it back in the fridge. The taste is like a tropical fruit salad, very nice but difficult to deal with because of the way it ripens.

That said, your photo doesn't look like M. deliciosa. Looks more like Philodendron bipinnatifidum (sometimes still sold under the obsolete name P. selloum). I've never heard of them being edible. Being a Philodendron they're more likely to be toxic.

If you do get some M. deliciosa fruit give it a try. The fruit is elongated and covered in green scale-like plates (small plates of course). When the flesh underneath ripens the scales become loose and fall off. Don't eat the flesh under scales that aren't loose.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tropicalbreeze, you're right on with the Philodendron Bipinnatifidum label. I goggled the name and compared the pictures and it was that plant. It shows you never assume anything when coming to eating anything. Plants can look so much alike. Now, I'm curious about the Monstera deliciosa .. and the fruit salad taste. Perhaps I should plant them instead of the Philodendron. The Philodendron actually came with the house when we got it. They were everywhere in the backyard. It even killed a pretty Cabbage palm. I relocated all of them into a tree island area which used to have an Oak tree there. If I plant another new tree, I'll have to be careful not to let them choke the tree.

Thanks for the info--very useful indeed.

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

If you're growing that Philodendron there then you won't have any trouble growing M. deliciosa and getting it to fruit. But they can take a while to get to fruiting size.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    10 years ago

In Florida they should be if not fast,at a decent speed growers. In California,they are slow but very long lived- forever if not killed by a freeze. So,they do get to fruiting size here eventually. They seem to take at least a year to ripen on the vine and if that year has a cold winter,they might rot. They can be picked early and with the apple in a bag routine made to ripen sweet. Like a banana-pineapple flavor to me.
    Also..in California as much sun as they can take without burning or yellowing is best. Or,the warm shade of a porch plant can work just fine for a fruiting plant.