Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marinfla

Tropical Fruit Forum Meet and Greet

marinfla
12 years ago

HI Everyone,

I decided to finally follow up on starting this thread so we can all introduce ourselves (put our faces and personalities with our names).

My name is Marin. I am an OB/GYN ARNP and Certified Nurse Midwife. I am married and have 3 kids (22, 20 & 16), a border collie and a sulfur crested cockatoo. I have lived in Deerfield Beach, Florida since 1983 when I moved here from NJ where I was born and raised. I decided to move to Florida after a trip here for Spring Break that year because of the warm climate, the palm trees, the beautiful beaches and mostly because of the Mangoes!!! My hobbies include snow skiing (get my 15 days of powder per year), fishing, scuba diving, camping, traveling and growing tropical fruit are at the top of the list.

I am looking forward to knowing more about everyone!

Comments (74)

• squam256
    12 years ago

and the tree to the right is a Carambola.

Haven't been to that grove since the '09 season. Hope they faired ok this winter. They have some unique varieties there.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hi Bluepalm, I should have known you would know :o)...Funny I thought Keitt would be much larger. Thanks for jogging my memory, I'm sure Ed told me what it was when I took that picture but my memory is not as good as it used to be...I hope the Mango trees you planted there is doing well!

• mullenium
    12 years ago

its a rarity to see me vacuuming, so when I do it becomes a big time photo opportunity :)

w/ wife and daughter:

• mullenium
    12 years ago

I work in IT here in Chandler Arizona, originally from San Diego but we moved out here in 2007 due to the low housing costs..

(our mortgage here for a 3k sq ft house is the same as our rent back in san diego for a 1 bedroom duplex!!!)

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My kids said they don't like the picture I posted that was taken with my cell phone and said I should put a different one on here. So for the kids, here is a picture they said looks just like me whatever that is supposed to mean.

from left to right: Husband, Max Weinberg, daughter-Erica & ME

and this is a picture of the attack bird who will run off fruit thieves if you bribe him with pizza.

I have really enjoyed reading everyone's posts!
    Thanks for posting!!!!
    Marin

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PS Everyone's pics are great!!

Bryan that rainbow eucalyptus grew huge in record time!!

Harry just let me know when would be the best day of which weekend to come for a tour... I will put it on my calendar and make it happen!! I am really looking forward to it.

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Nice to meet all of you. I apologize for not introducing myself earlier. I've been busy helping my dad get our new house ready to move in and at the same time studying for finals I had in college in the last couple of weeks. My name is Alexi, 21, born in hialeah, FL; Cuban family, (Spaniard if you want to go further back into my family tree, lol) I'm majoring in Biology in Broward College and planning on becoming an Optometrist. I just planted a couple of trees at the new house(grafted Brogdon avocado and grafted Pace mamey sapote). The trees that are still in pots, which I will plant in the near future are glenn mango, kent mango, valencia pride mango(all mangoes grafted), passion fruit, manzano banana, ornamental banana, soursop(guanabana 10 inch seedling), sweetsop(Thai lessard sugar apple or anon seedling) and for in front of the house a approximately 3-year-old pantin mamey seedling. Once we have settled and planted all the trees I'll take some pictures of my new yard and trees. Tropical fruits is practically the hobby I enjoyed since I was a toddler and my other hobby is...

[IMG]http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m575/tropicalgrower89/039.jpg[/IMG]

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Here you go Tropicalgrower89...so your other hobby is restoring cars?

Marin, GREAT picture of you and your family!

I Love your Cockatoo parrot! Lol...how he's holding the pizza! He or she is adorable! I had a friend that had a Cockatoo and I'll never forget what she said
    when they scream "they can peel the wall paper off the wall,lol...does your parrot talk?

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Nancy,

That bird eats well...pizza, lamb chop bones, buffalo chicken wings, mashed potatoes & fish heads are some of his favs. Scream??? LOLOL his screeches can take out your ear drums one skin cell layer at a time while you painfully watch the wall paper peeling LOL And my family begs me to get rid of him. I tell them "it's my insurance policy that after they graduate college and get on their feet with a good job and some money in the bank that they won't want to live live here until they turn 40yo" :)
    PS..... My Pickering kept 2 mangoes, Carrie 4 & I already ate the only po pyu kalay.
    Lancetilla not sure yet...still dropping :(
    The Cogshall and Carrie are blooming again!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Marin...LMAO!!! Too funny!

Glad you were able to eat one ripe mango already...how cool that Cogshall and Carrie are blooming again...I've never had any mango bloom twice this late in the year...very cool! LMK if they fruit again...I hope so! Good luck with the rest of them.

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Thanks for your help puglvr1. Yeah, I like restoring them and modifying them. I'm more of a mustang/ford guy, but I like classic muscle cars also.

Lol A Cockatoo that likes eating pizza. That's funny. I like all types of parrots. They all are very smart and I think the African Grey parrot is the smartest out of all.

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

Hello, it's a pleasure to meet everyone. As always, I appreciate and value everyone's expertise and wisdom. Your willingness to share knowledge is what makes this place so great. At the risk of repeating someone else's statement, THIS IS THE BEST FORUM there is.

Tim

Family photo from last X-mas
    {{gwi:1316728}}

A bit more recent of the girls :)
    {{gwi:1316729}}

• north_tree_man
    12 years ago

It's good to see the faces attached to every ones plants. So, I posted a pic of Max and I(Jeremy) checking out the Emperor lychees plumping up nicely.
    As a kid, I would sit in my parent's Bing Cherry tree and stuff my cheeks until I couldn't move...ahhh, memories! I started the hobby with temperate fruit trees/bushes and that was a gateway to subtropicals/tropicals. Other hobbies/activities include Gardening, snorkeling, woodworking, and the list goes on. I am a professional ferret whisperer, and day trader.

Bonus points* for anyone that finds the little Nam Doc Mai fruit growing in the pic.

*- Points have absolutely no value aside from bragging rights.

From Fuzzies

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Hi all. Great to see faces! I'm Angela. I moved to FL from Seattle, for the sunshine=) I bought a house a year and a half ago and have embarked on creating a fruit landscape as my evening & weekend hobby. During the day I'm a software engineer for an Artificial Intelligence company - as of yet I have not created Skynet;)

Seems I take a lot of pictures of my yard, and almost none of me. Here's a picture of me last year at Fairchild.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Great pictures everyone!! SO Nice to meet and see you all!

Wow! I want some of those Jackfruits SunW!!

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Going to the Mango Festival last year was so great. That was the first time I'd seen a Jackfruit on a tree - so cool! I won't be able to make it this year, but I'm envious of those of you who are going.

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Well, here is a picture of me doing what I love the most....crawling around under my house changing out the plumbing. Before any of you ask, no you cant help, all this fun is just for me.

I'm Ethan BTW, I'm a Sag, like long walks on the beach and snuggling on cold days. :) I've got to be one of the luckiest people alive, I have a beautiful wife, wonderful daughter and am weeks away from the arrival of my son. I've alway been into growing plants and moved a large plant collection around during the college years. Bonsai and natal plum led me to mangoes which led me to eugenias which......well you get the point. I'm standing next to a Morro blood orange with lots of baby oranges on it.

It is nice to "meet" you guys and see all your cute kids, rainbow eucs and animals. It is funny how my mental picture of you guys was different or right on in some cases.

I think I saw that guy in the 3rd photo on "America's Most Wanted"

-Ethan

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

and having seen ethan with his face uncovered, i can tell u, this pic is a vast improvement. just kidding ethan darling- u r an adonis.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Lol...for a second when I saw that outfit on Ethan I thought I was watching the Dustin Hoffman "Outbreak Movie"! ROFL!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Outbreak (Ebola like Virus ) Movie...

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

'having seen ethan with his face uncovered, i can tell u, this pic is a vast improvement' Thanks LL, there was an expression in college by people majoring in communications...."they have a face for radio". This is why I'm so lucky, somehow I managed an amazing wife.

Pug, I wish it was ebola (j/k), it would be much more fun than crawling around on my belly in very tight spaces through muck that I'd rather not think about. Rewiring the house was a joy in comparison.

-Ethan

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Good man, Ethan. It's nice to hear someone tootin the horns about their spouse :-).

Jeff

• fruit_guy
    12 years ago

Ethan, congrats on the new arrival!
    Warren

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Thanks Jeff, she makes it easy.
    Thank you Warren, he is not here yet but very very soon.

cheers,
    -Ethan

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great pics everyone!

Tim (esco socal) your kids are gorgeous!

Angela (sun worshiper) Great picture. You look just like I imagined...yes it's a compliment if you were wondering :)
    Those jakfruit are pretty awesome too.

Ethan (red sea me) I now will never complain again about the ugly scrubs I wear to work after checking out your getup !!

lycheeluva you are hilarious :)

BluePalm I think your mother must be drinking formaldehyde. I had to go back and look at the order of who was who :)

Jeff Hagen....where is a picture of the infamous Jeff Hagen?

• mangodog
    12 years ago

PUGS - I was IN that movie, OUTBREAK - I think I was a patient on a gurney or something - I was a TV/Movie extra in the early 90's in Hollyweird.....Hoffman and who else.....Morgan Freeman were in it? Yep I've worked with the best......lol.....

now THAT'S a strange life I can attest to. They used to call us "Furniture that eats!" How flattering.... :)

mangoMongrel

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

MangoDog are you serious? I never know if your kidding around...you have a great sense of humor!! If its true that is SO wild and very cool,lol...thanks for sharing!

• rayandgwenn
    12 years ago

Hi- I am Gwenn and I am a total computer illiterate. My husband does all my pictures, and he has been unavailable for a number of months now, so you won't get to see me. But I wanted to say hello from PR. My husband and I moved down here to escape the cold of NJ. Pharmacist by trade, I now only work a few hours/week. The rest of the time, I am playing in my yard (I wish!). We have a guest house and 9 acres in the rain forest.
    I really enjoy this forum, and learn a lot from it. It is nice "meeting" you and hope to actually meet some of you in person this summer in Florida for the Mango fest.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Pugles....tis true, tis true....and I've got the Star Trek Borg pictures to prove it.....just not now in digital form so as to post here.....sorry...i'll figure out some way, though....yeah, we all have our unique pathways, don't we?

Gwenn - you lucky duck! Nice acres in Puerto Rico!
    I'd be planting like there was no tomorrow.....

MangoD

• ch3rri
    12 years ago

Hello Everyone. It's so nice to see pictures. My name is Kristy and I live in PA. I started planting tropical fruit trees in pots around summer 2006. I really love the idea of having my own trees producing fresh fruits for me year after year. Of course that's not true with some trees. Other than planting the trees I also love to eat tropical fruits. I think I spent more money on tropical fruits than on handbags and shoes.

Here is a picture of me with all the fruits I brought back from Florida trip.

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow Kristy that is a great picture. What a beautiful collection of fruit.....yummy looking. Nice to meet you!

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

What a HAUL Kristy!! I'll be right over...I'm sure you need someone to help you eat all those :o)...Nice to meet you as well!

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Wow Kristy,
    did you just leave your clothes in FL and pack all that in your suitcases?

-Ethan

• ch3rri
    12 years ago

Hehehe...this was last year picture. I took just enough clothes and two big suitcases so I can bring the fruits back...lol. The longan was so cheap so I bought 30+ lbs. There's this wholesale place in Homestead near Robert is Here that have tons of longan trees and other tropical fruits. I wish I can go back but might have to wait a while since I am 35 wks pregnant.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Kristy - the one who paints with fruit!

You look like a savvy buyer, too....so what do you grow in your cold Pennsylvania climate? How about some of those pictures?????

Welcome to the TF forum - super nice folks here - when they're not crying over frost or lost fruit!!!!!!!!

:) MangoMongrel

• ch3rri
    12 years ago

I didn't take any recent pictures of my garden. I do have a blog with all my tropical fruit trees.

Here is my list:

2 lisa atemoya
    2 gefner atemoya
    3 sugar apple and 3 seedlings sugar apple
    2 sapodilla hasya and makok
    2 mangoes nam doc mai and carrie
    1 caimito
    1 sweetheart lychee
    1 soursop
    1 Indian jujube
    1 guava
    1 santol
    2 dwarf june plum
    1 Barbados cherry
    1 surinam cherry
    2 big pot of dragon fruit...without fruit
    5 or 6 different figs
    that's all i can remember now. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

35 weeks! Almost there, good luck with your new fruit lover Kristy.

-E

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Congrats Kristy...won't be long now! Soon enough you will have a nice little helper to help you care for all your fruit trees.

• ch3rri
    12 years ago

LOl...I'm already planning for him to help me carry these trees in and out to the deck.

Thanks everyone. I will take some pictures when the weather is nicer. It been raining all week.

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Thanks for the nice compliment Marin. Fun that I look the way you imagined. I'm not sure I really imagined how people looked at all, but your picture was a surprise. How do you keep your nails so beautifully manicured? I'm always munging mine up playing in the dirt with the plants=) And I love your hair - such gorgeous curls.

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OH Angela.... you have to see these nails after a busy day in the yard or on re-potting days. I have messed them up pretty bad a few times, smashed a few and have turned them yellow many times from digging in the dirt with no gloves :)
    Fish guts and dirt don't scare me!
    Your hair looks pretty curley too.... But I need to get your hat sense!
    I am planning to go to the USDA Chapman Field Field Day Saturday June 4th for the Lychee Tasting....are you planning to go? Ayone else going??

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Marin, I never liked hats until I moved to FL. But now I pretty much never go out without one=) That lychee tasting sounds awesome - let us know how it is. Too far away for me to make it tho...

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Ok, you guys shamed me. finally found a pic of my wife and I together...the big dude next to me is my cousin from France.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Marinfla - I just realized my comment about how you didn't look like I expected sounded rather....um.....insensitive. What I meant to say was you look great, but my image of you before was just different - forgive me if I hurt any feelings.

You look Fahbulous, actually, in both pictures!!!!!!!!!!!

MangoScruffy

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mangodog I couldn't even find the post you were referring to and I never remembered being offended about anything LOL so I guess I never took it wrong!
    I think we should try to plan a tropical fruit forum meet and greet in person!! And any of you that haven't added you picture/ introduction....you should :) and Jeff?? :)

• zands
    12 years ago

Jeff Hagen is an international man of mystery and a tropical fruits genius all at the same time. He even buys books on how to prune big ol mango trees right at the hip notch. He knows how to graft little sprigs (not kidding here) and big branches due to practice practice practice, the same way you get to Carnegie Hall (old joke)

He lives in the same humble burg as me (Tamarac Fl) but cannot devote the time he wishes he could to tropical fruits because he is busy coding coding coding as in writing computer code, to earn his family's daily bread. He is married to Elsy who is his equal in tropical fruits. They both tend to their mini-nursery and mini-grove with five large mango trees, canistel, lychee, big joboticaba tree, persimmons, lemon drop mangosteen, carambola, jackfruit, muchos papaya and banana and plantain which are so weed like invasive and easy to grow. Lots more stuff like Cherimoya and Sugar Apple but.... I have bought mango trees from Jeff so I am not impartial. Jeff would not write this so I did

My knowledge of tropical fruits took a quantum leap when I met Elsy and Jeff last summer and bought a Nam Doc Mai and Pim Sen Mun that Jeff grafted

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Zands :) Someday...maybe the mystery will be solved :)
    PS if you don't have a Jackfruit and want one let me know. I just sprouted a bunch Mai-3 Jackfruit seeds that Rob gave me and the pots all have little green babies popping out of the soil after 2 1/2 weeks!

• mangomandan
    12 years ago

What is it about tropical fruits that makes us all so dang good-looking?
    My picture is from a couple Thanksgivings ago. In person, of course, I'm tall and thin, handsome, and have all my hair.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

LOL......and a funny guy, too!

mangoDOG

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@ mangodog- sniffing the good stuff right from the bottle will do that to ya :)

Nice to see you Dan :)
    Thanks for the introduction!

• marinfla
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PS ----Dan the Tebow is doing great, Thanks again

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor