Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gnappi_gw

Bagging fruit on the tree

gnappi
12 years ago

I've seen Monks put bags on fruit to keep animals away from fruit. Has anyone tried this? I have a bunch of Papaya that I want and do not want to give to the Papaya fly.

TIA,

Gary

Comments (23)

• squam256
    12 years ago

In the past I have used the mesh bags that citrus comes in at the grocery store. This helps deter larger critters though it wouldn't stop fruit flies.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Here's a couple of articles on bagging fruits...I'm wondering if I should try this with Mangoes?

Bagging fruits

Or you can try the plastic containers that OhioJay posted on this post...
    Squirrels in Thailand

Squam256, can you buy those bags somewhere or maybe buy the material by the yard? I would like to try them and see if it works...did it keep the raccoons and squirrels at bay?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bagging Fruits for fruit fly protection...

• marinfla
    12 years ago

Nancy those are great links thanks
    Great idea!

• trini1trini
    12 years ago

I have a good method similar to the first link Pug post about. I use patio screening fabric, shade fabric that you buy by the yard at Home Depot, or the soft metal mesh that's called hardware cloth or something like that. I have had 100% success with it for two years now. I used them on the peaches and they worked very well but the only problem was that, I totally forgot about the fruits when they ripened. By the time I checked them, I only found peach pits in the bags. :) The bags work for fruit flies, papaya wasps, birds, squrls and racoons.

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

trini- awesome.
    wondering why you made the coverings so much bigger than the fruit

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

think i might try the screening and stapler method on my anona reticulata in the future, thanks for the tip

• trini1trini
    12 years ago

Lycheeluva, these were some of the first bags that I made and they were large. I've made different sizes since then for the different size fruits. They are reusable which saves $$.

PS These bags won't protect your fruits from the TLHS critters (two-legged homo sapiens)

• marinfla
    12 years ago

Trini
    That's a great idea!
    Thanks

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Marin, you're welcome!

Trini, that's SO great...thanks for sharing! Do you think window screen would work since its SO much easier on the hands (less danger to cutting myself,lol). WM sells the window screen by the roll and is so much easier to work with...Or do you think the window screen will be too soft and won't work keeping the varmints at bay?

{{gwi:1316742}}

• trini1trini
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. Pug, I noticed you posted that you made your bags before I could respond to your question. :) Your bags look great. I haven't had the squrls go thru the bags made with screening but I imagine they can if they want to. I just know that it has detered them from trying.

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks Trini! I hope they work,lol...

• DunedinDan
    10 years ago

Tried this method using fabric like screening. Used regular staples to fasten them to the peaches and the branch. The varmints took the screening and all. There is one tattered screen left. Next year we're going to try the metal screening. We're assuming the varmints are squirrels.

Anyone have advice how to best fasten the bags to the branch for peaches? The fruit is usually right up against the branch.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Here's what one looked like after eating right through the Aluminum bag :o(

• greenleaf_organic
    10 years ago

Anyone tried the waxed pepper spray? The squirrels like my avocados so much they eat them by the time they are the size of a dime. I ordered the waxed pepper spray this year, which is supposed to coat for a couple of weeks at a time. I sure hope it works. Birds could care less about hot peppers, but squirrels supposedly don't like it.

• Jjbjjbh Jjbjjbh
    10 years ago

Anyone know if pomegranates will have to be bagged as well? This is my first year tending to a fruit tree in Southern California so any advice re: pomegranate growing and/or bagging is appreciated. Thanks.

• snuffles CA
    8 years ago

puglvr1, thank you for the plastic container idea. I'm going to start saving them for my fruit trees! We saw couple of racoons in our backyard looking for strawberries. They barely budged when they saw us. Not afraid at all. Luckily my strawberries were still small and not ripe so they left.

• eloise_ca
    8 years ago

Last year, I used the plastic containers on my persimmon and was able to save a couple of fruit. But on my peach tree, the squirrels chewed on the stems, and the plastic containers and unripened fruit ended up on the ground. I'll try the containers again this year, but also the screening material and see if I am able to get more fruit.

• tropicbreezent
    8 years ago

I put wire mesh around fruit to protect them from animals. I've found that things that will chew into fruit will easily chew through plastic.

• newcreationwoodcraft
    7 years ago

aloha folks, we use shade cloth left overs in green color to hide the brightly colored fruits from sight. it is easy to work with and very flexible so it does not damage the fruit. twist ties are easy to make closure and can be reused or adjusted as needed. if more protection is needed, make fruit bells by cutting the bottoms off plastic bottles. slit up the side they can be snapped in place over the stem or branch. mahalo, -Barabbas

• puglvr1
    7 years ago

Hmmm, thans Barabbas, any pictures to share? Can't seem to get a visual on snapping them, thanks!!

• Chrobrego (Orlando 9b)
    7 years ago

I saw a nice air rifle on sale at Sports Authority, but if you want to bag then the best method I've found for papaya is to use women nylon knee high stockings. You can buy them for 35 to 50 cents a pair at Walmart. You put on the stocking when the fruit is very small and it just grows in the mesh -- no fruit fly issues. For other fruits, I use the plastic containers but this is the first year that I've used them so I don't know if they'll work or not.

• gnappi
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Since I originally posted this I bag my guava and annona in 4x6 inch organza bags. I am just now growing papaya again and have used wax bags with success, I do not think hosiery will stop papaya flies, they can easily pierce thin nylon that is snug on the fruit skin. Maybe in your zone you do not have many fruit flies and you have been lucky? Down here we have MANY and the problem is pretty big.

But its worth an experiment on a couple.

Sponsored
Cellko Construction Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Licensed General Contractor Serving Loudoun County