Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Blooming Sweetsop

Posted by tropicaliste 7b (My Page) on
Mon, May 2, 11 at 23:22

Puttering in my garden I didn't exactly notice at first but when I pulled the leaves apart on the tip of my Sweetsop I found 2 flower buds, what a neat surprise! I wasn't expecting them to bud at this young of an age, and in the pot they are in, when I got back from the Philippines in '08 I just threw my Sweetsop seeds into a small pot and let them sprout and since then been meaning to repot but I haven't. Now they're bonsai... lol

BloomSweetsop

Sweetsops

:)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Blooming Sweetsop

Nice looking plant, its nice to see a surprise bloom on a small container plant. Btw, do you root prune your plants or just pot up?

o

Kind of been "lazy" regarding these so the plants in the pictures have really just gone from seed to the bud with only watering and overwintering indoors. What's your recommendation on root-pruning? Would repotting now mean no more blooming for the rest of the season or more? Regarding root-pruning vs potting up, the seedlings usually just get potted up.

:)

o

I would root prune it. Take it out of the container, cut around bottom 1/3 off the root zone. Then look for tangled and excessive thick roots. Cut off most thick roots, that have few smaller fibrous roots attached below. For tangled roots make sure to unravel.

Make sure to not cut off more then 50% of the root mass. Then re-pot with new soil mix. You want to aim for around 30-40% cut. Make sure to use clean tools to prevent disease from transferring to plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here