Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mullenium

Dug some plants up :(

mullenium
12 years ago

Since we are seriously considering on moving I dug up some newly planted items and repotted in 4gal containers. So far my dwarf girardi mulberry, raja puri banana pup, and suebell spote are repotted, I think next I'll unearth my Surinam, then plan out how I'm going to safely take my inground mango trees without killing them, both have been in ground 2-3 yrs.

The sapote was getting beat up by the full sun exposure, so i think repotting it and having it on the east side of the house will actually help it...

Also the mulberry had some thick roots already :( I hope I didn't just screw it up, it's fairly new, planted it early spring this year when it was still dormant.

I know I can grow mulberry in portland, and dwarf girardi is pretty rare so I didn't want to leave it behind

Comments (10)

• mullenium
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think if we just move back home to San Diego instead of Portland I can keep all my trees and continue this amazing hobby... Plus we would be closer to family..

Probably the smart move

• phucvu
    12 years ago

rent or buy in san diego?

• mullenium
    Original Author
    12 years ago

rent for now.. if we move we'd have to either short sale the house in PHX or rent it out. if we rent it out we wont qualify for another purchase until the economy picks up and the house gains 40k+ in equity which does not look like that will happen for a long long time

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

The housing market is going to get worse before it gets better. We're still seeing double digit year over year declines. With wages falling, unemployment in the double digits and hundreds of thousands of foreclosed homes flooding the market, I'm not too optimistic that we'll see anything better in the next several years.

More on topic: make sure you keep your plants in shade for a few weeks and water the beef out of them. You can also remove limbs / leaves to reduce water loss. The mulberry should be fine. They are tough boogers.

Jeff

• mullenium
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yeah thats why im thinking short sale might be the smartest move..they say its 2 years til you can purchase something again after short sale.. but im not sure what the tax liability is on the difference in what we owe vs what the house sells for

also i put them on the eastern side of my house which gets 4hrs sun.. im hoping that is not enough to stress them out since they were in full sun previously.. and with the temps in the 110's today

ill move em under the patio tonight after work

• mangodog
    12 years ago

I'm rock solid with Jeff on this one, Mulls - I wouldn't give them any sun till they recover from the shock of the dig-up. They're not going to grow for awhile anyway as they (hopefully) begin to recover their root loss....

I'm just afraid you'll lose them with ANY of that Arizona sun especially at this time of year..... I vote full or filtered shade!

my 2 cents anyway......M.D.

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Yah, I'd do full shade. Even 4 hours full sun could be detrimental. If you have 70% shade cloth, then that would work well too.

Jeff

• newgen
    12 years ago

Portland vs. San Diego, there's only 1 correct answer. 8-))

• phucvu
    12 years ago

that's right somewhere in florida.

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Mull,

I would work on making some self watering containers. Then put the plants under 70% shade cloth like Jeff has recommended. I grow almost exclusively all my fruit trees in containers, the self watering container fruit trees seem to be much more vigorous.