Gerry's new squirrel trap??

ohiojay
12 years ago

Read about this on CRFG.

Here is a link that might be useful: No more squirrels

Comments (8)

• bluepalm
    12 years ago

I'm familiar with this trap; a friend of mine has one. If I recall he had to order his from Canada, and it was not cheap. Also, I saw the trap at his house 2 months after he had it and the springs were beginning to rust; the trap needs to be maintained. However the trap does work, but in yards with large mango trees, there might be 30-50 squirrels a year coming in, so the trap might not be able to keep up, BUT it is a good weapon in an anti-squirrel arsenal (which should include a Gamo Whisper air rifle with .177 pellets with a good fixed scope)...so I've heard ; )

• swrancher
    12 years ago

I may need to get one of these traps, having a hard time keeping up using a pellet gun. Last week, I lost a few mangos daily and on one day lost seven mangos...What is most angering is the squirrels just sample some with a bite or two and then move on to the next one ruining several fruit in one sitting.

Luckily they missed the early season fruit on my Rosigold and Pickering trees. They discovered the joy of eating mango on my Carrie then moved to the Graham, then the Angie and have now started eating fruit off my VP tree.

Does anyone know of any other traps that work well on gray squirrels?

• sleep
    12 years ago

The only way I have been able to slow the carnage is with my Gammo...

I tried other methods before being forced to go Ted Nugent on the fluffy tailed rats.

Some of them are pretty smart, will sneak away quickly or hide nearby until the coast is clear, and then move in for the mango feast.

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

ive heard peanut butter balls laced with rat poison strategically positioned works, I would be too scared of poisoning my dog though

• bluepalm
    12 years ago

Regarding squirrels with a pellet gun, you CAN clean them out from an area...but it takes a while (you are probably dealing with 30-50 squirrels)...believe it or not, there are that many in an average 2-3 yard area. You need to shoot from inside your house (very important) so as not to spook them. As always, air rifles can be dangerous so be aware of where you are shooting and exercise caution.
    I use a fixed 4 X 30 scope on mine. You will need to start thinning them 1 month before your mangos ripen.
    Now, as far as trapping, I have a family member who uses a Hav-a-Hart to catch squirrels. Here is my review and the link to buy this trap:
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1307538&kw=trap&lmdn=Price+Range&searchId=52155850904
    "This is THE most effective squirrel trap I have ever seen. The fact that it opens on both ends does not discourage entry (I have another Havahart that opens on 1 end and the squirrels are hesitant to enter). Plus, the trigger plate on this one is just right for squirrels. Put peanuts in the shell inside this trap, and you will catch squirrels all day long. Trapping tip: put the trap in the exact same area, over and over (the squirrels can smell the former squirrels and this alone really seems to bring them in to the trap). We are trapping the squirrels to keep them off our mango trees (in a residential neighborhood). 3 weeks of trapping: 22+ squirrels."

Make sure you sight your scope in every 20-40 shots (it will get off). I use Beeman Kodiak Match extra heavy pellets...they don't break the sound barrier so they don't "crack."
    Also, you might want to set up a bait station that is visible from a shooting platform within your house. Use nuts, peanut butter, etc. I have a friend with a Ptycosperma elegans palm tree and the squirrels mob his seed clusters and he picks off 3+ on a good day when they are eating them. This is a fast-growing palm that you might consider planting outside of a good-shooting window. Also, most squirrels use the same "highway" getting into and out of your yard...usually there are 1-3 routes. Once you identify them you can begin to target these areas. The varmint cong are beatable. You will prevail.
    Good luck.

BP

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

What if you just adopt a family of cats? Don't they hunt squirrels?

Jeff

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

just returning from a trip to israel hence my late response.
    i just use rat poison placed on the roof of my garage- out of the reach of kids and any local pets and the squirrels eat and die and fertalize my garden. perfection.
    jeff- in israel, they bought a bunch of cats about 75 years ago to control the rat populations- what happened is that the cat population exploded and now every single street in israel has several families of wild cats living in it but i did not see a single squirrel in israel. nice!

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

HAHAHAHA Yah you'd have to get them neutered :-).

Jeff