Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Anti Squirrel Deterrent Fencing??

puglvr1
13 years ago

Hi all, I put this plastic fencing up in hopes of keeping the squirrels(aka) "Tree Rats" at bay from my very first mango fruits. Last year I did a similar set up with the few lychee fruits I had(before the freeze damage almost killed it this winter) and it worked great...not one fruit was stolen by varmints. I'm hoping this will work as well...I guess only time will tell. Plan B would be to throw a bird netting on top if the fencing is breached,lol...Since I don't have that many...I don't want to share with them :o) Just wanted to share a couple of pictures...

Just about all my fruits are at the lower branches...

{{gwi:596979}}

Comments (13)

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Nancy:

Your squirrels must be a whole lot less agile or are considerably more lazy than the squirrels around here if that set up keeps them off your fruit. My squirrels would be over that fence in a heartbeat. There must be other food sources for your squirrels in the area. In any case, I hope it works again this year for you.

Harry

• dghays
    13 years ago

At least it will slow them down enough to give them a dose of .17 caliber pellet fencing. I am at war with squirrels and raccoons. I should make a fur mountain man coat when I'm done.

Gary

• swrancher
    13 years ago

I have a similar setup around my trees due to my chickens but it seems to keep the squirels out as well. Once or twice I have had squirrels stuck inside the fenced area as my dog and I approached trees. The tops of the fencing are loose and unsupported and the area enclosed is pretty small so its not easy for them to jump out. The panic they experince when trapped for those few moments seems to have discouraged more fence jumping and tree raiding.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

I'd drap a couple layers of bird netting on top of the tree as well. I had good luck last season by just baging each fruit. It's easy for me because my crop is so pathetic (especially this year).

• jb_fla
    13 years ago

I agree with jsvand bout the bird netting.

Side note, AWESOME tree!!!

• bluepalm
    13 years ago

dghays, you have me laughing out loud! Good ones! I'm a fan of the .177 too. All squirrels must die. ; )

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

I don't think I could get away with a .177 in my area, but a strong bb gun will be bought when the fruit is a bit closer.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Harry, I will let you know how it works out...I'm the only one in my area that has a mango tree as best as I can tell, maybe they don't know what a mango taste like,lol...

Bird netting is def. my next step if this one doesn't do it.

Jb fla, thanks!

Will update...to be continued!

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

Lucky me for planting all my tropicals in pots and on the deck. No bird or squirrel can get to my trees. But I have to place a bird nest on my peach tree and it seems to work well. I can still see the peaches on the tree as compared to last year all the fruits were gone even before they get to golf ball size.

Which variety of mango is this one? Great looking tree.

• dghays
    13 years ago

Actually, I also have a cheap $27 dollar BB gun from walmart too. I figured if I shoot them with a weak gun, maybe they'll decide to stay away. It doesn't seem to work, they keep coming anyhow. I figure if I chase them away several times and they insist on constantly returning, I'll bring out the .17

Gary

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks ch3rri...its a Cogshall. I like the dwarf growth habits that both my trees have. I have another one in the front...but all the blooms froze...so NO fruits this year.

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Nancy - Great looking mango tree and fruits too! I also subscribe to the idea of using bb guns to deter squirrels and other rodents!
    Bo

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Bo, I really want to taste this variety so hopefully this fencing will do the trick...Even if I had a BB gun...not sure I can even hit one(my aim sucks,lol).