Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to tropical - in canada!

Posted by theman7676 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 7:32

hey all,

i will greatly appreciate if someone please can provide some general information for me

i live in ontario where it gets cold during winters. i guess that means i will need to grow whatever it is i get in pots that can be brought into a close cold space in the winter (garage)

can you grow mango's, avocado, or other exciting fruits in pots in canada? in pots?
do we have a large / long summer season up here to enjoy the fruits?

can any fun fruit tree start from a cuttings or do i need to buy larger trees from nurseries?

thank you so much for all the help....not sure this will be possible at all for me or even worth while...
cheers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to tropical - in canada!

I'm in Ontario also and suffer from the same affliction... wanting to grow exotic fruits that really can't grow here lol.

I have a variety of potted plants from seed including Avocado, Mango, Coffee, Coconut palm, Date Palm, Kiwi, Pineapple (top rooted), Meyers Lemon and common lemon, Key lime, Kumquat, Honey mandarin plus a few other citrus varieties, Lychee, Longan and Mangosteen.

The only fruit I currently am getting is from my Pineapple.

I think unless you have a very large heated greenhouse with additional lighting for the shorter winter days you will have troubles producing many tropical fruits. I really do it just for fun and some of the plants make attractive house plants and interesting conversation. Some of the citrus like key lime and meyers lemon I've read can fruit in pots but mine are just seedlings right now so we'll see. I would start with a trip to the produce department of your local grocery store or better yet asian market if you have one near you. Lots of things to grow from seed starting in those places.

Tyler

o
RE: new to tropical - in canada!

thank you tyler....that is what i was thinking ....
best of luck to you and enjoy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here