Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluepalm_gw

Neelum Mango: thoughts?

bluepalm
13 years ago

Has anyone tasted a Neelum mango? I'm interested in getting one but want some taste feedback before I do. Thanks!

Bluepalm

Comments (16)

• bluepalm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just read that it has very poor anthracnose resistance (at least in Australia...from a website there). I have the Mallika and am looking for a very small, excellent tasting condo mango for a family member's yard (we already have the Fairchild, Lancetilla, Nam Doc Mai, Mallika, Graham, Florigon, and Rosigold).

• dghays
    13 years ago

Cogshall :)

• squam256
    13 years ago

Cogshall is a possibility. Ice Cream is another variety that stays small, though I'm not sure about their fungus resistance.

Duncan would not be a bad choice. They can be kept pretty small and are supposed to be good quality and also pretty anthracnose resistant.

• mango_nut
    13 years ago

I bought a nice 7 gal neelum @ the Manatee Rare Fruit Council sale a couple of months ago. It actually had around 5 little mango's on it. Its only holding 3 right now and none will probably make it, but time will tell. They are around the size of an extra large egg. As for the tree and mango's, they are showing no evidence of anthracnose. I went with the neelum as it was dwarf / semi-dwarf and late season. I did consider the lancetilla, but Harry responded stating that the neelum produced well for him. So I hoping for lots of smaller mango's than a fewer larger ones. I'm still looking for a early season mango, which I have not decided on yet. I'm leaning towards the rosigold or the jean ellen. I have plenty of other mid-season mango's (June / July - here in Florida). Best of luck and congrats on the next one...

• swrancher
    13 years ago

I have a Neelum mango tree that I planted last year. So far it has had no issues with anthracnose.

The main positive for me getting a Neelum tree is that its the variety that fruits last in the season going into October and November. I have a Rosigold tree to start the season extra early and then my Neelum to extend it for as long as possible.

• Barry5251
    9 years ago

I know this comes late, but here it goes. Neelum has a very intense, almost primitive, spice flavor that may be too strong for most persons. In S Miami area, I have had difficulty with the fruit reaching maturity without becoming rock-hard on the tree. When the fruit does reach maturity, it is late August (the reason I purchased the tree). In 2014, when several other varieties (Rosigold, Cogshall, Glenn, Nam Doc Mai, Angie, Fairchild) on the same land flowered and set fruit nicely, the Neelum barely set any fruit and only a couple appear likely to reach full size. I have considered top-working this nine year old tree into another variety as I am not happy with it overall.

• David Vignini
    8 years ago

Barry how is your Neelum doing this season?

• jheath37
    7 years ago

I am thanking about buying a 7 gallon neelum mango tree. and planting it in the yard. can anybody give me any feedback on how this mango will taste. and how the tree would do I live here in Orlando FL .

• keri_guy
    7 years ago

I have one in 25 gal pot and tasted few mangoes last year. All i can say is they are much better then anything i bought at grocery stores. Again i have never tasted anything else (some of the other US mango varieties ) in US so cant really compare other than grocery store varieties. As someone else mentioned earlier that you may want to look into Malika. Hoping to taste them this year.

• jheath37
    7 years ago

Thank you. for the info on the neelum mango tree. I did go back to the nursery. and I bought the tree. I have planted it in my yard. all I can say for right now is this is a very beautiful mango tree. I'm going to sit back and watch it grow. anybody else out there that would like to comment on neelum mango tree. please go ahead good or bad. Happy Growing to everybody. thanks again.

• Flofli (9b Florida)
    6 years ago

Jheath37, How is the mango tree doing? I finally have a yard and I am hoping to get some and was curious to know how they do in the area since I live just south of you in Saint Cloud. Thanks :)

• jheath37
    6 years ago

my neelum mango tree died from a disease. but that's life sometimes. I have harvest moon mango tree in the yard and cogshall keitt pickering cottoncandy mango trees in the yard also. they are doing really good. I have found that with my trees I have to keep them sprayed. they are all in full sun. I spray them once a week in summer time. with organic garden safe neem oil extract. and bonide organic liquid copper fungicide. I have a friend that has a Valencia pride mango tree and it also does very good. but this tree will get huge. good place to get tree fruit trees is Jene's tropicals in st pete.

• Flofli (9b Florida)
    6 years ago

Thanks so much for the recommendation on how to spray. I am new to gardening and need all the help I can get LOL. I am glad your new trees are doing good :). And thanks for the nursery recommendation. I will check them out since the local nursery I went to didn't have what I needed.

• mallenstp
    6 years ago

How small of a tree is Neelum or how small can you keep it? Bought one last summer and trying to figure out best spot. When you read small or medium on a mango tree seems like a lot of wiggle room on adult size.

• Flofli (9b Florida)
    6 years ago

mallenstp, I don't have one yet, but I can give you a link. Scroll down to Neelum and it says it is a dwarf. They do answer emails so you might get more information from them concerning height and spread.

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/science-conservation-/plant-collections/tropical-fruit-collection/curators-choice-mangos

Spacing is my biggest concern with the fruit trees I want to plant. I have a limited space in which to plant what I want so I need to put them as close as possible to be able to put in as many trees as I can.

Sponsored