Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best method for grafting Rambutan?

Posted by rayandgwenn z11 Puerto Rico (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 10:30

I am new to all types of grafting so I need some advice.
I have a rambutan seedling that was growing out of control. I dug it up and killed about 90% of it's roots (not by choice but necessity) and topped it to about 4 ft tall. It has 2 trunks- one is about 1.5 inches wide, the other about 1 inch. Amazingly, it is doing fine in a pot and sending up new growth.
So now I want to graft some of my R162 onto it. The R162 is in flower now, but I can take some branches that haven't flowered or wait until a better time.

Any hints? Best method to use? Timing? Size of scion?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best method for grafting Rambutan?

You have the best circumstances you could ask for. You have a plant in a container which can be moved and you have a plant that is known to flower near by. I would do an approach graft... a lot lower down than 4'. This is the easiest and safest grafting method. If the graft should fail, this method will leave both plants alive so you can try later. You'll need to secure the seedling plant in a manner so that the scion will easily reach and match up with the trunk. You will need to decide which trunk to eventually keep and which to sacrifice. In fact, I would remove one of them just prior to you grafting...will help direct all the energy into the remaining trunk. For an approach graft, you should theorectically be able to use any size scion you want. Just make sure the two pieces match up nicely without having to over tie to close a gap. Take some pics and good luck!

o

OK- I think I will try it.
I found Brian Brunner's info on it, and approach grafting looks like it "should" work.
I don't have the heart to chop either trunk yet...so I will try it with the 2 trunks, and do both, but one at a time.
I will post pictures of my experience.
Wish me luck!

o

Ok- I did it:
The seedling tree is in the pot on the right.

I picked the straightest branch of the grafted tree to hopefully get the tightest match of the 2 stems.

o

Good luck. Hope it works for you. I would maybe stake the tree to the ground. It looks like a strong gust of wind could knock it down pretty easily the way it is now. I had that happen with a jackfruit graft last year and it snapped off and ruined my graft just a few weeks before I think it would have been ready to seperate.

o

Yes- my thought exactly! When we moved the seedling closer to the graft tree, we added 2"x4" stakes in the ground around the pot, to keep it in place,and then tied the pot to the stakes. Hopefully, it is not going to go anywhere!

o

wow i hope it takes.

i can see the cambium layer, from what i understand if its lined up good it should take nicely.

o

Looks good.....I am betting on success. Good luck, and of course, keep us posted.

Harry

o

Well....Success!
The first try did not take as I did not cut down deep enough. So I redid it and it worked! It is not beautiful and I assume it is not very strong yet but it is now a grafted tree! Next time I will graft much younger/thinner branches.

This one is the close-up of the graft ...

this one is a wider shot showing the tree ...

o

How long has it been separated?

o

Great job! Keep us posted on the progress.

o

Jsvand- it has been totally separated about a week now.
So far, so good.

o

Wow,

That is incredible. Looks like you did a Great job. Good luck with that one.

- Jacob

o

I am wondering if it might be a good idea to tie a stake above and below the graft to keep some pressure off of the actual graft until it heals totally? I don't know what the winds are like in your yard, but I have lost grafts on citrus before from wind snapping them at the union.

o

Great job grafting and documenting, it looks like it has started to heal nicely, maybe some blooms this year?

-Ethan

o

Jsvand-
That is why I kept the one tie on. But you are right, I may add another tie to the bottom of the graft foe a while, just for safe keeping.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here