Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rayandgwenn

Best method for grafting Rambutan?

rayandgwenn
13 years ago

I am new to all types of grafting so I need some advice.

I have a rambutan seedling that was growing out of control. I dug it up and killed about 90% of it's roots (not by choice but necessity) and topped it to about 4 ft tall. It has 2 trunks- one is about 1.5 inches wide, the other about 1 inch. Amazingly, it is doing fine in a pot and sending up new growth.

So now I want to graft some of my R162 onto it. The R162 is in flower now, but I can take some branches that haven't flowered or wait until a better time.

Any hints? Best method to use? Timing? Size of scion?

Comments (15)

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK- I think I will try it.
    I found Brian Brunner's info on it, and approach grafting looks like it "should" work.
    I don't have the heart to chop either trunk yet...so I will try it with the 2 trunks, and do both, but one at a time.
    I will post pictures of my experience.
    Wish me luck!

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok- I did it:
    The seedling tree is in the pot on the right.

{{gwi:1318059}}
    I picked the straightest branch of the grafted tree to hopefully get the tightest match of the 2 stems.

{{gwi:1318060}}

{{gwi:1318061}}

{{gwi:1318062}}

{{gwi:1318063}}

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Good luck. Hope it works for you. I would maybe stake the tree to the ground. It looks like a strong gust of wind could knock it down pretty easily the way it is now. I had that happen with a jackfruit graft last year and it snapped off and ruined my graft just a few weeks before I think it would have been ready to seperate.

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes- my thought exactly! When we moved the seedling closer to the graft tree, we added 2"x4" stakes in the ground around the pot, to keep it in place,and then tied the pot to the stakes. Hopefully, it is not going to go anywhere!

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

wow i hope it takes.

i can see the cambium layer, from what i understand if its lined up good it should take nicely.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Looks good.....I am betting on success. Good luck, and of course, keep us posted.

Harry

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well....Success!
    The first try did not take as I did not cut down deep enough. So I redid it and it worked! It is not beautiful and I assume it is not very strong yet but it is now a grafted tree! Next time I will graft much younger/thinner branches.

This one is the close-up of the graft ...

{{gwi:1318064}}

this one is a wider shot showing the tree ...

{{gwi:1318065}}

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

How long has it been separated?

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Great job! Keep us posted on the progress.

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jsvand- it has been totally separated about a week now.
    So far, so good.

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Wow,

That is incredible. Looks like you did a Great job. Good luck with that one.

- Jacob

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

I am wondering if it might be a good idea to tie a stake above and below the graft to keep some pressure off of the actual graft until it heals totally? I don't know what the winds are like in your yard, but I have lost grafts on citrus before from wind snapping them at the union.

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Great job grafting and documenting, it looks like it has started to heal nicely, maybe some blooms this year?

-Ethan

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jsvand-
    That is why I kept the one tie on. But you are right, I may add another tie to the bottom of the graft foe a while, just for safe keeping.