Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What brand of iron drench?

Posted by sun_worshiper FL 9b (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 20, 11 at 11:13

I have both mangos & a lychee tree which are showing some yellowing. I understand that a summer iron drench of the soil can help. What brand do people use? Where do you get it? The info that came with the mangos I bought at Fairchild last year recommended sequestrene 138 - but it looks like you can only buy that in very large quantities. Any other recommendations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What brand of iron drench?

• Posted by zands 10b Fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 20, 11 at 11:36

BE CAREFUL WHAT NUMBER SEQUESTRINE YOU BUY

Sequestrene� 330 & 138

High Performance Iron Chelates for Foliar and Soil Applications in Agriculture

Sequestrene� 330 and Sequestrene 138 are strong iron chelates that maintain and protect iron availability in a wide variety of problem soils.

Sequestrene 330 is 10 percent fully chelated DTPA iron, and performs best in slightly acidic to alightly alkaline soils with a pH of up to 7.5.

Sequestrene 138 is 6 percent fully chelated EDDHA iron, and is preferred in the most challenging soils which are alkaline and calcareous. (FLORIDA usually with all our coral and limestone near soil surface)

_______
_______

Can also be used as foliar spray not just drench

Can buy on EBAY n other places look for name - ferriplus

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=sequestrene+138&_sacat=0&_odkw=sequestrene+138&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313&LH_TitleDesc=1&_rdc=1

Here is a link that might be useful: Ferriplus = sequestrine but check the number

o

• Posted by pj1881 10a PBC Fla. (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 20, 11 at 11:47

I live in WPB Florida, I purchased Sequestrine 138 and Millers 138. I bought the Millers on eBay in a 1LB container for like $26 shipped, the Sequestrene 138 from Winfield solutions in Boynton Beach Florida in a 5LB bag for like $50. My next question is... If I have a foot of dark sandy topsoil followed by sugar sand below that.. Am I using the correct formulation? My stuff sure seems to enjoy it.. I mix it in 5Gal buckets, 3TSP to 5Gal, then dump it around the root system.. I havent attempted to use it as a foliar, it looks like blood when mixed..

o

Thanks Zands. I had looked at that info on the numbers, and am questioning the 138. I live in central FL, not South FL. Here my soil is sand. My soil is neutral to slightly acid, definitely not alkaline. Anybody got any recommendations for soil drenches appropriate to central FL's soil?

Also, can anyone interpret DTPA vs EDDHA and put that into layman's terms?

I looked around in my local stores, and saw several iron drenches, but none of them are just iron. They contain other minors too. Are there any elements I should look out for that are bad for mangos and lychees? I remember hearing that chlorine is bad for mangos (and some fertilizers do have it). Anything else to look out for?

o

Southern Ag makes a Chelated Liquid Iron and also Iron Granules:

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Ag

o

• Posted by zands 10b Fl (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 20, 11 at 20:45

sun_worshiper>>>

Fairchild recommending sequestrene 138 is definitely a generalization for South Florida where we often have limestone layer near the surface. You seem to have a different situation which you have to research. How far down is your coral/limestone layer? 3 feet? 10 feet? Trees can do good here (Broward County) until the roots hit the limestone at 18". Citrus trees are more vulnerable to this chlorosis you mention. More so than mangoes

Magnesium is also used for greening up plants. Inexpensive bags of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) are found in garden centers. The chlorophyll molecule is similar to the hemoglobin molecule. Iron is at the center of the hemoglobin molecule and magnesium is at the center of chlorophyll molecule

Matter of fact plain old inexpensive (see eBay) iron sulfate may work where you are. It does not work here. Too alkaline

o

Sun...FWIW, I've used Ironite Plus once or twice a year during the late spring/summer months on my Lychee and Mango Inground trees. All I do is sprinkle the recommended amount on the directions right before it rains. Its worked well for me.

It might not be what you're looking for...just another suggestion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ironite Plus

o

Thanks all for the input everyone.

Zands, I'm not sure how far down the sand layer goes. I've seen construction holes in my neighborhood that are around 8 feet deep that haven't hit anything but sand. So the sand layer is pretty deep.

So let me see if I understand - is this right? Iron sulphate is harder for plants to absorb, but cheaper. If the soil is not alkaline, it can work. Chelated iron is easier for plants to absorb, but more expensive. And the particular chelating agent such as DTPA vs EDDHA used can influence how well the chelated iron works in different soil phs.

So I think if I followed along correctly, Sequestrene 138 is one of the few that works well for very alkaline soil, which is why it is recommended for south FL. However, it would also work in nonalkaline soils. So I could use it, if I want to order it online. But since my soil is not alkaline, I may be able to get away with a locally available brand that uses a different chelating agent not tailored to alkaline soil.

Did I get any of this wrong?

If not, armed with this info, I think I can now take another look at what is locally available and be better able to understand the labels=)

o

After this great discussion I went to my local stores to see what I could buy locally, and bought Fertilome liquid iron with minors. I applied it to my mangos, lychee and atemoya as a soil drench. It has made an immediate difference. Within a week, all signs of nutrient deficiency are gone from the mangos. The new growth on the atemoya is markedly less chlorotic and the lychee continues to look good (it had not yet been showing any nutrient deficiencies). So looks like it was a good choice=)

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilome Liquid Iron

o

Sunw...Good to know. Thanks for the post, happy to hear it worked well and quickly for you.

o

Great that the iron drench worked so well. What you ultimately bought is chelated. Makes you wonder what mango and other fruit growers used to do before the age of chelated vitamins (minerals) for trees

o

Before chelates they would have just planted on fertile/acid soil :-). I also remember hearing that they were sending loads of muck to the farmers back in the day when they were "conquering" the everglades.

Jeff

o

Thanks everyone.

Yep, I think Jeff is right. Before modern fertilizer, you were stuck growing stuff only in its natural habitat=) Of course what the natural habitat for a man made hybrid is is debatable. I got a nice laugh out of your choice of wording Jeff, "conquering", nice!

Angela

o

Just thought I'd revive this thread to share another Iron soil drench alternative I found today (that hasn't yet been mentioned) at the Flamingo Road Nursery in Davie FL. It's called "Green Light Iron and Soil Acidifier". 32 fl oz. The great thing about this concentrate is that in addition to the Fe content (4.60%) being 100% in chelate form, so to are the S,Cu and Zn content. Same price as SAG Chelate Liqud Iron that provides only Fe (70% of which is in chelate form) and S. I bought both to give em a try (SAG at Pops Nursery in Hollywood). The other great thing too is no added N-P-K like in some of the Ironite formulas.

o

Thanks for the info on the brand you found. Please post with how well it works for you. The one I bought seemed to work well with my soil conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here