Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
racor_2006

Growing Lychees in Southern California

racor_2006
16 years ago

I would like to know if Lychees grow and fruit well in Southern California. For what I hear, they require between 100 and 200 chill hours. I understand that Eggo has a Emperor Lychee growing but besides that I have not come across anyone else.

I would like to hear about some success stories before I make this investment.

Also, What may be the best variety to plant in this area.

Thanks

Comments (13)

• Eggo
    16 years ago

Depends on your definition of fruiting well. =)
    Clusters and clusters of fruits, probably no. Sparse/couple of fruits here and there on a bloom spike, yes.
    This is just my opinion from various observation. Lychees seem to bloom some years and will sometimes skip a year or two. And even when they bloom, they do not appear to set fruit easily also. I think this is a lack of pollinators as bees/large wasp seems to be the best pollinators for them but they seem to attract tiny tiny bugs and insects for the most part. It seems that bees ignore the blooms at times maybe just due to being unfamiliar with the flower. Also blooms does not seem to send out quite a fragrance or large amount of nectar.
    The two most commonly planted varieties is Mauritious and Brewster and is reported by many to do well here. From my observations that seems to mean sparsely fruiting tree. =)
    Emperor has done well for me but I am not certain if its just my micro climate. I'm hoping to get an airlayer of those two varieties to test side by side with my Emperor to see how it fares as far as blooming and setting fruit.

• siegel2
    16 years ago

I've got a Brewster growing in my yard. Its about 12 years old and about 12 feet tall. Right now it has about 10 fingernail size lychees on it. They look as if they are going to hold on the tree and ripen, but you never know. Most years I don't get any fruit at all.

Just to let you know that it is possible, here's a ripe fruit from about 2 years ago.

My Longan (Kohala) and Lychee trees are planted together in a raised bed. Actually I planted 3 of each kind of tree in one hole for each kind of tree so I have a triple Lychee and a triple Longan in the same bed about five feet apart. The Longan is larger and produces lots of fruit every year.

{{gwi:543582}}

• Eggo
    16 years ago

Triple lychee? 3 Brewster in one whole? Have you thought about adding another variety in the hopes of better production.
    hehe, I seen other 12 feet lychee trees with 12 fruits. So I assume it is one fruit per foot for lychees here. =)
    I remember those pics Cagary. You gotta send us some of the latest pics of your greenhouse though.

• racor_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great pictures Eggo. It looks like Emperor would be a good potted Lychee for me but I have made some calls to see if anyone has it in stock but they don't.

I called Mimosa nursery in LA but are sold out until next year and Roger Meyer doesn't carry this variety. I wonder if anyone carries this variety locally in Los Angeles?

Thanks

• racor_2006
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice looking trees Cagary. I wish I had the space to plant those but I may be restricted to potted one like Emperor.

Thanks for the pictures

• siegel2
    16 years ago

Here's a photo of this years crop:

They are about 15 feet in the air.

• bloobeari
    9 years ago

Eggo if you are still around as this is some years later, i would appreciate your advice on planting my 7 gal Emperor lychee. I have read mixed reviews and people seem to have trouble with them, but yours look great. Should i mix some pine bark into the sand before I plant? Some black kow? Or just plain potting soil? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

• bananafan
    9 years ago

I'm glad up this thread Bloobeari. Lots of interesting lychee pictures from eggo and cagary.

I hope both of you will update your lychee tress with the newest pictures if you're reading this. Nice job both of you on having raised your lychee trees such a huge size (cagary's) and to produce so much fruit (for eggo's Emperor lychee). I do own an Emperor for a couple of years. It seems to be more susceptible to white cottony mealybugs infestation. The same thing happens with my longans as well. However, egg's Emperor lychee looks super healthy. Cagary's lychee looks very dense. I'm now thinking of doing the same thing--planting a few plants in one hole.

• eblc1980
    7 years ago

I have problem growing my longan. It is about 6 feet tall. When I bought it look fine. After I planted all the leaves started to die.

• parker25mv
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Longan seems to be more hardy than lychee; it grows better than lychee in drier conditions, is a little bit more cold tolerant, and is more reliably productive at producing fruit. That's probably why longan can be found in the markets at all different times of the year in China, while lychee tends to be more seasonal.

For a young plant, make sure you are keeping the soil moist, and if you live in a drier climate, wind can dry out the young leaves, so some people advise wind protection. In hot dry climates, shade tarp may be a good idea to give young plants a good start.

The lychee varieties 'Mauritius' and 'Emperor' are slightly more drought tolerant and less water-needy than the other varieties, but I don't think it's a big difference.

• Francesco Delvillani
    7 years ago

Lychee suffer the dry and hottest weather....but also need cold during summer to induce flowering.

In Southern California i think that if it's a frost-free zone is better to grow Mango...

• dulcecorazon
    3 years ago

I used to have a lychee tree, it was more than 15 yrs old fruiting really well like we harvest baskets n baskets of fruits every 3rd yr and in bet yrs sparse yield. We live more inland and we have drier and hotter weather in summertime, too bad the tree was sacrificed in 2016 for a house extension build. We planted another one in 2018 it's been in ground for a good 2 yrs now and seen to be having a hard time growing, most of its leaves have fallen. We had a pretty hot summer this time and I think it went dormant .there is still some green leaves but no new growth,

Any ideas? Any comment/ideas is much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions