Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aslan89_gw

Purchased My First Mango :)

aslan89
10 years ago

Well I finally jumped on the bandwagon and bought myself a mango. I found this little Cogshall mango at a local nursery who had all tropicals 20% off so I thought, why not?

It looks quite healthy for its size, being only about 3 feet tall including the pot, and it's in full bloom right now. This one almost seemed out of place with their stock of mangos that were mostly 5 feet tall buy I figured since I'm going to pot this one its just perfect for our back porch.

Comments (20)

• RastaYoga
    10 years ago

my neighbor has a 7 year old Cogshall that is maybe 8' tall and fruits maybe one to two dozen large, beautifully colored, decent tasting mangoes. It did not produce this year. Enjoy!

-Brett

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Nice Cogshall, looks healthy and look at all those blooms, Congrats on your new mango tree.

I love my Cogshall, they are semi dwarf and can be pruned to stay on the smaller side...they have a nice rounded growth habit.

Here's one of my Cogshall...Planted 6 years ago.

• aslan89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! :) and thats a beautiful tree pug. It's unrealistic I think for me to get a mango off of this plant already but it sure makes me happy to see those little green fruits starting haha.

I'm new to mangos, turns out I had been trying unripe fruits for years at thebgrocery store, thought they tasted awful until my aunt had my try a perfectly ripe one she purchased and I was blown away. I'm 24 so it basically took me 23 years to figure out I liked them lol

I've heard good things about cogshall and I guess I'm a 'beginner' mango fiend so as long as it tastes like a mango I'll be happy

• ohiojay
    10 years ago

Cogshall has a very nice flavor. You won't be disappointed. After the blooming and hopefully a few fruit, you ought to think hard about "pugging" your plant. For a definition...do a search on this and you will be amazed! LOL!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Thanks!! It is exciting to see blooms any time but especially on a super young and small tree :o)

I think you have the right idea...If it were mine I would not let that tree fruit quite yet (though it is very tempting),lol...let the tree put all its energy to building roots and growing and it will reward you later with some delicious mangoes...

• RastaYoga
    10 years ago

To me, Cogshall fruit has a good, mild (not strong, exotic) mango flavor... and super nice color + texture. In no way disappoints.

-Brett

This post was edited by RastaYoga on Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 10:25

• aslan89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Awesome, you guys are making my mouth water just thinking about them :)

• aslan89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got some close ups of the flowers and little fruits. I actually got it potted up today but I forgot to get a picture of the finished product before it got dark so I'll update with that tomorrow.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Cute baby fruitlets :o)

One thing I have noticed is that "usually" the tree does a pretty good job on its own when it comes to aborting fruit that it can't carry to maturity due to its young age and small size. I remember keeping one or two baby fruits just to see if I can taste one and more times than not...they never passed a large grape size and end up falling off anyways...once in a while it will surprise you and carry the fruit to full term but not without negative affects on the tree (usually the tree does not grow for quite a while) almost as if its recovering/resting...it takes a lot of energy for a small tree to fruit...IMO not worth the 1 or 2 fruits...

I took this picture a little while ago...one side of the tree seems to be taking off...getting larger every day. Now I just have to figure out how to keep the pesky Critters away from my delicious mangoes :o(

• aslan89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha! Well probably not worth it but you are right, I bet they will just drop on their own anyway. I guess its for the best even though I'm kinda hoping for that other 1% chance that it keeps ;)

• benavon
    10 years ago

aslan89,

I am impressed with the mango you purchased. I had a Julie few years back but it didn't do much and eventually died. I am in zone 6 and recently bought a Carrie. Have not received. I need help with winterizing and keeping it alive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have had very little luck containerizing tropical fruit trees. I had 2 beautiful wax jambu specimen last summer. They died whilst being winterized!! got 2 pommes, for 2 yrs now, no fruits. any idea why they are not fruiting?? thanks in advance.

• sapote
    10 years ago

"Haha! Well probably not worth it but you are right, I bet they will just drop on their own anyway. I guess its for the best even though I'm kinda hoping for that other 1% chance that it keeps ;)"

Select the best one and pick off the rest baby fruits, and frower. I think the tree can handle just one fruit well, just for you.

Sapote

• aslan89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Still looking good :) Even with the transplant.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Looks GREAT!! Didn't look like it skipped a beat :o)

Let us know if it holds one fruit for you? Good luck!

• aslan89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

July 1st, 2013 update:

New vegetative growth has emerged on top of the plant and the mangoes continue to grow larger. Looks like it has three larger ones it will keep (which I plan on thinning to one since the plant is so young) and a couple tiny ones still clinging to life. I have been letting the plant thin itself for the most part and removing the ones that start to wrinkle.

Also, just for fun, here is a picture of my healthy little Kishu Mandarin tree. Any citrus growers hang out here too? The Kishu is amazing, tiny little fruits (some as little as the diameter of a quarter) super sweet navel orange flavor and seedless.

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

How cute are those baby mangoes :o)

I really like your Kishu tree as well...fruits sounds delicious! I've never seen those for sale here

• aslan89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well those three growing mangos did finally drop :( I had been out of town for several days so I suspect it got a little dry. Anyway, the tree still looks great. It had a new vegetative flush.

• aslan89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Check out this leaf!

14 inches long!

• puglvr1
    10 years ago

Looking Great!! Thanks for the update...I see a couple of mangoes in your future, I'm betting next summer ...:o)

• aslan89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Look at what a difference a couple months can make :)