Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purchased My First Mango :)

Posted by aslan89 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 6, 13 at 12:09

Well I finally jumped on the bandwagon and bought myself a mango. I found this little Cogshall mango at a local nursery who had all tropicals 20% off so I thought, why not?

It looks quite healthy for its size, being only about 3 feet tall including the pot, and it's in full bloom right now. This one almost seemed out of place with their stock of mangos that were mostly 5 feet tall buy I figured since I'm going to pot this one its just perfect for our back porch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purchased My First Mango :)

my neighbor has a 7 year old Cogshall that is maybe 8' tall and fruits maybe one to two dozen large, beautifully colored, decent tasting mangoes. It did not produce this year. Enjoy!

-Brett

o

Nice Cogshall, looks healthy and look at all those blooms, Congrats on your new mango tree.

I love my Cogshall, they are semi dwarf and can be pruned to stay on the smaller side...they have a nice rounded growth habit.

Here's one of my Cogshall...Planted 6 years ago.

o

Thanks! :) and thats a beautiful tree pug. It's unrealistic I think for me to get a mango off of this plant already but it sure makes me happy to see those little green fruits starting haha.

I'm new to mangos, turns out I had been trying unripe fruits for years at thebgrocery store, thought they tasted awful until my aunt had my try a perfectly ripe one she purchased and I was blown away. I'm 24 so it basically took me 23 years to figure out I liked them lol

I've heard good things about cogshall and I guess I'm a 'beginner' mango fiend so as long as it tastes like a mango I'll be happy

o

Cogshall has a very nice flavor. You won't be disappointed. After the blooming and hopefully a few fruit, you ought to think hard about "pugging" your plant. For a definition...do a search on this and you will be amazed! LOL!

o

Thanks!! It is exciting to see blooms any time but especially on a super young and small tree :o)

I think you have the right idea...If it were mine I would not let that tree fruit quite yet (though it is very tempting),lol...let the tree put all its energy to building roots and growing and it will reward you later with some delicious mangoes...

o

To me, Cogshall fruit has a good, mild (not strong, exotic) mango flavor... and super nice color + texture. In no way disappoints.

-Brett

This post was edited by RastaYoga on Fri, Jun 7, 13 at 10:25

o

Awesome, you guys are making my mouth water just thinking about them :)

o

Got some close ups of the flowers and little fruits. I actually got it potted up today but I forgot to get a picture of the finished product before it got dark so I'll update with that tomorrow.

photo DSC01085.jpg

photo DSC01089.jpg

photo DSC01087.jpg

o

Cute baby fruitlets :o)

One thing I have noticed is that "usually" the tree does a pretty good job on its own when it comes to aborting fruit that it can't carry to maturity due to its young age and small size. I remember keeping one or two baby fruits just to see if I can taste one and more times than not...they never passed a large grape size and end up falling off anyways...once in a while it will surprise you and carry the fruit to full term but not without negative affects on the tree (usually the tree does not grow for quite a while) almost as if its recovering/resting...it takes a lot of energy for a small tree to fruit...IMO not worth the 1 or 2 fruits...

I took this picture a little while ago...one side of the tree seems to be taking off...getting larger every day. Now I just have to figure out how to keep the pesky Critters away from my delicious mangoes :o(

o

Haha! Well probably not worth it but you are right, I bet they will just drop on their own anyway. I guess its for the best even though I'm kinda hoping for that other 1% chance that it keeps ;)

o

aslan89,

I am impressed with the mango you purchased. I had a Julie few years back but it didn't do much and eventually died. I am in zone 6 and recently bought a Carrie. Have not received. I need help with winterizing and keeping it alive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have had very little luck containerizing tropical fruit trees. I had 2 beautiful wax jambu specimen last summer. They died whilst being winterized!! got 2 pommes, for 2 yrs now, no fruits. any idea why they are not fruiting?? thanks in advance.

o

"Haha! Well probably not worth it but you are right, I bet they will just drop on their own anyway. I guess its for the best even though I'm kinda hoping for that other 1% chance that it keeps ;)"

Select the best one and pick off the rest baby fruits, and frower. I think the tree can handle just one fruit well, just for you.

Sapote

o

Still looking good :) Even with the transplant.

photo DSC01100.jpg

photo DSC01102.jpg

photo DSC01103.jpg

o

Looks GREAT!! Didn't look like it skipped a beat :o)

Let us know if it holds one fruit for you? Good luck!

o

July 1st, 2013 update:

New vegetative growth has emerged on top of the plant and the mangoes continue to grow larger. Looks like it has three larger ones it will keep (which I plan on thinning to one since the plant is so young) and a couple tiny ones still clinging to life. I have been letting the plant thin itself for the most part and removing the ones that start to wrinkle.

photo DSC01105.jpg

photo DSC01107.jpg

photo DSC01106.jpg

photo DSC01108.jpg

Also, just for fun, here is a picture of my healthy little Kishu Mandarin tree. Any citrus growers hang out here too? The Kishu is amazing, tiny little fruits (some as little as the diameter of a quarter) super sweet navel orange flavor and seedless.

photo DSC01109.jpg

o

How cute are those baby mangoes :o)

I really like your Kishu tree as well...fruits sounds delicious! I've never seen those for sale here

o

Well those three growing mangos did finally drop :( I had been out of town for several days so I suspect it got a little dry. Anyway, the tree still looks great. It had a new vegetative flush.

photo DSC01111.jpg

o

Check out this leaf!

photo DSC01112.jpg

14 inches long!

o

Looking Great!! Thanks for the update...I see a couple of mangoes in your future, I'm betting next summer ...:o)

o

Look at what a difference a couple months can make :)

photo DSC01142.jpg

photo DSC01143.jpg

photo DSC01144.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here