Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rayandgwenn

Cubano Mango anyone?

rayandgwenn
13 years ago

At the Costco today they had a "Cubano" mango tree for sale. Anyone know about it- especially bloom/fruiting season?

I did searches and only came up with low fiber and it tastes good. Though that might be enough for me to get it anyway (only $13.95), I would a little more info if anyone knows.

Thanks- Gwenn

Comments (8)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

is it similar to san felipe, thats the only Cuban mango i know of

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I have heard people refer to it....but I was never sure if it was an actual cultivar or if it was just a mango from Cuba that Cubans were thinking fondly of from their memories. If it is the San Felipe as Mango Kush mentions, I hear it is very good and intend to get on myself at the upcoming mango fest ast Fairchild's. But I would be cautious, becuase its very easy to slapa name on something. I guess for the price, how wrong can you go?

Harry

• rayandgwenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, it is marked as if it is an actual cultivar named "Cubano". Supposedly hugely popular in a certain part of PR.
    But since I can't find (and no one knows) any info, it probably is something else that was brought in from Cuba and is affectionately known as Cubano.
    I have another "named" variety that is unknown in the mango world ("Matine"). Who knows what it actually is....some kind of PR special pet name or translation problem! I am hoping to get out to Mayaguez on the 25th to a mango festival to get some other real mango varieties. I want to extend my mango season.
    For the price, I will probably pick it up next time I am there.
    Thanks for the help.

• enduser
    13 years ago

Besides the San Felipe, other Cuban mango types found in Florida are:

'Philippine' is a small fiberless fruit introduced to Florida from Cuba ironically.

'Prieto' is another heirloom cultivar from Cuba, an island rich in mango diversity. The fruit are small in size, ranging from 8 to 10 oz.

'Toledo' is an heirloom mango from Western Cuba that is still common in local markets throughout the island. The fruit are small, averaging less than 6 oz.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

if its grafted it may be san felipe, if its a seedling its an asian type like phillipine.

your other one may be a "martine" mango

• boricuadz_msn_com
    12 years ago

I grew up eating Mangoes right out of the many trees on my backyard, here in Puerto Rico. The Cuban Mangoes are NOT actually cuban, it just derives that name. It IS THE MOST POPULAR MANGOE IN PR AND MANY OTHER COUNTRIES. It is firm, tasty, and has a high concentration of fiber. I warn diabetics to moderate its consumption because it is also very sweet. I am actually eating one right now, I have over 1,000 growing on my trees right now. As for the harvesting season, it is between late february to late june, but with the right conditions it will continue until mid July. If you bought a tree, it will take a few years for your first harves, usually about 5 years, but the taste is worth the wait.It is typically a tropical tree and will not grown in lower temperatures. The trees average about 30 feet high but can grown a little more than that. Any further comments, pleasefeel free to contact meat boricuadz@msn.com

• MRRealtor
    12 years ago

Hello,

There are several popular kinds of mangoes from Cuba.

The Biscochuelos from Santiago de Cuba, is a beautiful sizeable, rich, suculent and very sweet mango, hence the name of Biscochuelo meaning biscuit.

The Manga Blanca. I don't know why is given a female name, but is a very smooth yellow skin with no blush, shaped sort of like a Cushman Florida mango or kidkney shape. The flesh has a very firm texture, not that juicy, it has a very different taste from other sweet and juicy mangoes. It is a mild sweetness that tastes great without being excessively sweet. Excellent for slicing or eating green with salt.

The Prieto which has a very dark green skin, which is the reason for its name meaning dark is a small mango, very fibrous, however, very juicy and extremely sweet will be the reward. It is excellent for juicing. It is considered a heirloom in Cuba. The tree is small which is suitable for small yards.

The Toledo another Cuban heirloom. A true dwarf by nature, will grow up to 8 or less feet thourgh out of its life. The small 6 oz fruit is greenish yellow with pink-orange blush. The flesh has fiber but very rich flavor, a mango that typifies the local Caribbean mango. A best kept secret cultivar.

San Felipe mango considered to be one of the most beautiful mangoes in terms of color, shape and size and brags as the most beautiful mango trees in your neighborhood. It is very eye-catching with bright yellow skin with a red-apple blush with white dots. The flesh is deep yellow to orange and averaging a pound. Its flavor is very rich, sweet and spicy which is considered one of the classic mango flavors of the world. It is consistent producer of beautiful fruit.

The mango Filipino, which is really a mango brought to Cuba from the Philines. It has slender, sigmoid shaped much like most Asian mangoes. The fiberless flesh is Canary yellow- greenish with a very juicy, sweet peculiar taste most popular for squeezing and sucking its juice.

Of course there are many others in different parts of Cuba, but the ones I mentioned are the ones that I kwow.

• eddiemunoz
    10 years ago

My cousin in law is asking about mango toledo, chihuahua, and caballero.
    Can we get trees in California. .he had not heard of san Felipe

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting