Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

TebowYoung Mango Report

hmhausman
12 years ago

The first of my 4 Tebow/Young mangoes ripened today.

From May 31, 2011
From May 31, 2011
From May 31, 2011

The flowering and fruiting habit of the tree (which is tiny) seems to indicate a fruitful future in terms of production. The fruits are good sized, and seemingly pretty disease resistant. The flesh was fiberless and appealing. The flavor was disappointing.....I guess you would say......to the extent that there was any flavor. It was basically weashed out and watery with a slight mild pleasant flavor. There was no significant aroma to the flesh or fruit in general. This is the first fruit so I do not, necessarily, foreclose any further future evaluations. The problem is that we have had a very dry spring.....almost record dryness. More rain would probably not help this fruit and that is what we would usually expect. We had a Parvin mango today as well and the flavor of the Parvin blew the Tebow/Young away. They were not even in the same ballpark in terms of eating quality. The Parvin mango was grown about 25 feet to the east of the Tebow/Young. Sorry folks....I hate being the bearer of bad news.

Harry

Comments (16)

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

OK. That doesn't surprise me. My take on the one fruit that I got was that it was glenn-ish in flavor. I do happen to really like the glenn, but many do complain that it's too mild/watered down.

Jeff

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

That's too bad. Hopefully it will get better as the tree ages. Just from looking at that pic of the cut fruit you can kind of see that it won't have much flavor.

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Sorry to hear that. :( Maybe it will be better in it's second fruit set.

• squam256
    12 years ago

Thanks for the report. All evidence seems to indicate its a mild mango.

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

Glenn is amazing some years and average others, our seasons are so inconsistent.

There's probably a reason the young mango fell into obscurity, it will probably be a large tree too

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Pine Island raved about as I seem to remember....glad I never got one.....but....as you say, jury is still out, harry......

mangodoglover

• franktank232
    12 years ago

Do you chop something like that down or could you graft it over with another variety? or do you just keep it and hope the flavor improves with age?

• Man-Go-Bananas
    12 years ago

Nice mangoes in the background ;-)

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Thanks for the report Harry. I'm glad I didn't replace my Tebow that died on me. I wonder if its just an off year for it. I've read that some people suggest the first fruits from a tree are atypical. I feel that smaller trees with fewer leaves will produce less sweet and flavorful fruit because the leaves are what the trees use to convert sunlight into carbohydrates. I hope the fruit will taste better as the tree gets larger.
    Simon

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Frank:

No, I won't chop or top work just yet. Trying a new fruit takes some practice in timing. Issues like removing from the tree to allow ripening inside versus allowing the fruit to color completey on the tree still have to be addressed. The optimum time for eating can also vary with some fruits distinctiviely better at certain times in the ripening process as opposed to others. I think that moisture issues can also drastically affect the flavor as can size of the tree. However...of concern is that my Angie mango, reviewed last week, the tree is not much larger and is growing about 20 feet west of this tree was absolutely delicious as compared to this fruit.

Worst case scenario....the tree produces lots of good sized, fiberless fruits that are disease resistant but with limited flavor....but perfect for dehydrating. In the dehydrated fruit, the weaker flavored varieties still come through with good flavor when concentrated by the dehydration process.

Harry

• gruntking
    12 years ago

Harry/Frank:
    I believe you brought up very good points in that the health of a tree and the fullness produces sweeter fruit. Also, sometimes we don't always agree about what tastes good or best. I tasted the Tebow at Pine Island and I was not impressed. But I'm not sure if what they gave me to taste was the best example of the fruit?? However, my Glenn while being a mild tasting mango still delivers a very sweet taste... my daughter has compared it as having a cotton candy after-taste. But interestingly, my neighbor across the street has a Glenn that does not taste as good as mine... it lacks sweetness. I also found that rating sites like Pine Island are not always accurate with their rating. Example... PI says the Valencia Pride is a 4 star, however I give it a strong 5... I think Valencia's are fantastic; I wish I had a tree in my yard. But I wonder what fruit they may have tasted at PI, it may have been a bad example.
    LOU

• mangnificent
    12 years ago

Has anyone had a tebow that actually tasted good? Or are we all bought in on this variety based on P.I. hype? I was just there a few weeks ago and they were sold out of 3 gal trees. I bought a 1 gal with a fresh graft - risky, but I thought the fruit would be worth it. I'm disappointed to hear it may be a huge let down.

Space is an issue for me so perhaps I'll save the space for another variety. I have Glenn, Valencia, Pickering, Lacetilla --> any suggestions on rounding out my collection? I am interested in choc-anon because of the winter fruiting, but havent heard any reviews on the taste of the fruit or consistency of bearing.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Magnificent:

Sorry to again dissappoint....but at my house, Chou Anon is not a mutiple times a year bearer....doesn't bear in the winter and is a mediocre bearer and taster when it does bear in regular mango season.

Harry

• squam256
    12 years ago

sampled a Young today courtesy of Harry.....tastes like Glenn as Jeff Hagen suggested. But without the aroma of Glenn. Actually, I think Glenn might have a little more flavor.

• invar69
    12 years ago

Thanks Harry for the review on Tebow/Young. What a bummer.

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County