Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lycheeluva

My jaboticaba is blooming at the end of the branches???????

lycheeluva
14 years ago

Come in stressbaby!

it seems like my jab prob came from the same place as yours. its also just starting to bloom ( i bought it last spring as a 7gal from jenes tropical) at the end of the branches. what the hell is going on. will post pics later on- the blooms are creamy white and appear in clusters of 2-4. i dont have that many yet- maybe 15-20 is all i can see so far.

stress- what ended up happening with yours

Comments (17)

• stressbaby
    14 years ago

I got plenty of advice on alternate species, but none of the suggestions fit perfectly. I gave up trying to ID the species given the fact that the fruit is in every other way jaboticaba (from all I can tell).

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

my leaves look just like yours and its blooming right at the tip just like yours. u know i wonder if perhaps we r the first 2 people to bloom/fruit a jab outside a tropical encironment- do u think its possible that we have regular jabs and that regular jabs fruit from their tips outside a tropical environment?

did yours also fruit within a year of getting the plant?

jay- man - stop faffing about and go and buy one.

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

here are some pics

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Your tree looks great. Has it grown much since you bought it? I might have to pick one up from Jene's if they come in looking like that. I thought Jene's only shipped up to 5 gals?

• stressbaby
    14 years ago

LL,

I suppose it is possible that outside of a tropical climate it blooms differently. Your tree looks just like mine in every respect. I'll try to grab some pics later.

I got fruit about 2 years after getting the plant.

BTW, your passies are under mist now.

• gcmastiffs
    14 years ago

I know the answer!!!! I saw 2 of these trees today, and the common name is Blue Grape aka False Jaboticaba. The plants looks similar, same trunk type/color, but the false Jaboticaba fruits on the branches, often the very tips, not on the trunk. The flowers are different too.

A very nice, small fruiting shrub, related to the Jaboticaba.

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Grape

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Im not sure Lisa- the leaves on the pic you posed are much bigger than the leaves on my plant.

• gcmastiffs
    14 years ago

I did not bring my camera when I visited the local GW lady that had the 2 Blue Grape trees. If I go back soon, I'll get closeups of the trees.

The leaves are small, new growth is red-tinged like Jaboticaba, the trunk is the same, but the flowering/fruiting is different.

These are the first and only Blue Grape trees I've ever seen. Jabos are common here. Blue Grapes are rare and hard to find.

Lisa

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

Gerry...why don't you post a link to your pics with Bryan and Warren's group and mention Lisa's observation. Also ask your question about a plant changing its character when grown outside of its normal habitat.

We did this a long while back when SB's plant bloomed and no one then had any good ideas. Maybe this will spark something. It just doesn't make sense. I don't believe a plant will change a characteristic to that extent. It must be something other than jaboticaba.

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ok jay done

jsv- jenes will ship 7 gals.
    here is a pic of the tree when it arrived in spring 08. it has not grown that much because the tree lost about half its leaves over the winter.

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

here are 4 more pics, 2 of them showing blooms. apologies for the lack of sharpness on the blooms- i had to take these pics in a hurry.

• Nelson E.
    14 years ago

Wow thats such a nice looking plant, does the fruit really taste like grapes? I have family from brazil and they always brag about jaboticaba but I have never tasted them personally.

• boom1
    14 years ago

doesnt look like blue grape (myrciaria vexator). definitely a close Jaboticaba relative

Sadhu has a type of Jaboticaba name Jaboticabtuba (myrciaria grandiflora) ive never seen pictures of this tree but thats the only other thing i think it could be.

also im no expert on Jaboticaba, i know its fruit grows on old growth. maybe your tree is just young and will fruit from its trunk later on it its maturity?

Here is a link that might be useful: Govardhan Gardens

• lycheeluva
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Close-up pics of the blooms

Here is a link that might be useful: Close-up pics of the blooms

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

So far...the folks on the Yahoo group have only been able to agree that everything previously mentioned is not the plant. They're thinking some sort of hybrid but cannot nail down the name. It is definitely not a jaboticaba as we know them to be...and may not even be in the myrciaria group.

I would let the sellers know that they are NOT selling jaboticabas! On the flip side though, you have a plant that is blooming/fruiting. If it tastes good, then great. Even then, you still may want to take this up with Jene's. You wanted a jaboticaba.

• boom1
    14 years ago

its definitely a myrciaria, its most likely a genetic variation of myrciaria cauliflora. cauliflorous denotes the fruit comes from the trunk so im not sure what you would call this, myrciaria ramiflora?

also how many blooms/fruits have you witnessed? i would wait until several flushes before judging it as a true genetic variation.

i purchased my Jaboticaba from PI and its about your size with no fruit yet.

• Diyfreddy
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

So this is me reviving an old old thread but I’d like to know what happened with your trees. The above pictures are of what I too purchased as a Jaboticaba. It’s fruiting for the first time and on the tips so really confused here.