Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluepalm_gw

Dot Mango from Plantogram

bluepalm
13 years ago

I drove out to Plantogram (Plantogram dot com) today to buy a Dot Mango. It was about an hour from my house. The owner, Mickey, is a truly nice guy...extremely helpful and generous. He had a nice selection of mangos, lychees, and other fruits. He even gave me a free fig tree for driving out there. I am extremely happy with the Dot mango I bought there. It is almost 5 feet tall and is very healthy, and the price was very reasonable.

Best regards,

Bluepalm

Comments (17)

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Nice looking tree. I have been hearing lots of nice stuff about plant o gram. Where is he located? He might be pretty close to me if he is an hour from you.

• swrancher
    13 years ago

Very nice healthy looking mango tree. Where is plantogram located, I'm always looking out for good places to get trees from.

• bluepalm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

He's on the west side of Orlando (about 10-15 minutes west of the airport). The exact address is in my Tom Tom in my wife's car at the moment.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Very Nice mango tree Bluepalm!

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Swrancher,
    I am not sure if he's started growing his own trees yet but last time I met him he was buying all his trees from the nurseries down south. Pine island, Excalibur, etc.

• squam256
    13 years ago

Nice looking tree! And Dot is supposed to be an excellent mango so a nice choice as well.

• bluepalm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'm planting the Dot at my mom's house. I have one in my yard, but after this winter's cold, I don't have the greatest confidence that it will survive to bear for many seasons. It is still about 9' tall though. My mom lives south of me on a barrier island and mango trees LOVE it there.
    The Dot is an excellent mango, but has a strong taste. Some mangos' "strength in taste" is like drinking fruit punch. The Dot is sort of like putting the condensed sugar mix right on your tongue...that's the only way I can describe the strong flavor. I have a feeling the Alphonso might be the same way (I'll know this year...my dad's tree has about 10 on it). The Dot is my dad's 2nd favorite after the Edward. I'm happy the tree is so big and I can't wait to get it in the ground!

• dghays
    13 years ago

Alternatives for tropicals in south Brevard, Atree4me has mangos for $30, and Palm Island for around $27. Small, 3 gallon plants.

Gary

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Wow, what a Beautiful Tree, I just Love Plantogram. It is a Perfect combination of Customer Service and Superior Selection. Thanks for Sharing!!

Jacob

• MangoDoc
    13 years ago

Very nice looking Dot Mango tree you have. Please remember to remove the stake for faster trunk and root development.
    Good luck, Joe.

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

Nice healthy Dot mango you got there!

• mangodog
    13 years ago

BLUE PALM - how's the Dot Mango looking today?

Picture pretty please.....!

mangowolfbane

• guajiro
    13 years ago

I would love to see a picture as well :)
    Thanks for sharing!

• mullenium
    13 years ago

show us some updated photos =)

• bluepalm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well the Dot mango is a long story. I planted it in my mom's yard where her sprinkler system made short work of the tree in no time...I mean a SICK tree; leaves dropping off, the limbs turning yellow, what leaves remained were half torched, etc. There were even some areas of the trunk that were weeping sap. The speed at which the tree declined was very fast. So, I dug up the tree, re-potted it and took it to my dad's house (mango paradise...they grow so fast there and fruit well). So, after barely hanging on and getting doses of fresh tap water, the tree is slowing recovering. I saw it today and it had a new growth flush on it. Soon enough it will be large and robust. Then I'll post some pics!

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

So tap water is better than well water?